Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 01:12 PM

516 posts, read 429,152 times

Advertisements

Id like to also add this. The shoe thing is more of a boundary than anything else. My wife and I have set boundaries within our home and we do not allow them to be crossed. I guess its a lifestyle choice. We take GREAT pride in our home. But I will say, next spring we are dropping a humungous chunk of change on Pergo click laminate flooring throughout our home. The shoe rule will be a thing of the past soon enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 04:24 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
Replying to OP, you just have to endure it. Moms say this stuff that all the time. My mom does that too. It's annoying and nothing more. It's not hurtful at all. I know you already said you can't not invite her, but even if you could, why would you? These are minor things and at most, annoying, not hurtful, and not worth possibly straining your relationship with her.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:29 PM

922 posts, read 790,574 times
I have a very good friend who used to always give "advice." She would preface it with "you should..." or "you need to...", even "tell your husband he needs to..." I don't think that it ever occurred to her that I might have had a good reason to do things the way I do them, it just wasn't acceptable because that was not how she would do it. She eventually got over herself and doesn't do it much anymore.

Now, the shoe question- I feel that if you are having guests that it is your obligation to make them feel comfortable. If you are that worried that someone will get your rug dirty, or get a stain on your white couch, perhaps you shouldn't invite people over. Just my opinion.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:08 PM

894 posts, read 586,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
My sister had a no shoes rule but I ignored it. She had a carpet with stains all over it and her kids did what they wanted. Why would she ask me to remove my shoes and not her kids? I told her I don't go for selective rules like that. I ignored it..She apparently got the idea from one of her friends and her spoiled kids wouldn't listen to her....
I love this post and especially this part: "Why would she ask me to remove my shoes and not her kids? told her I don't go for selective rules like that."

Too funny!

Old 12-16-2016, 08:10 PM

894 posts, read 586,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You don't know where a person has been sitting so maybe they should take off their pants. They touched your door knob after who knows how many others have so they better not touch anything.

Hahahaha!

Old 12-17-2016, 02:56 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
9 times out of 10 with the people we visit or come to visit us, remove their shoes at the door. I have washable slippers that I offer them if they haven't brought their own. The bottom of your shoes might look clean, but the streets that you walk on are filthy with dog poop, spit, gum, and whatever else.

If an older person comes to visit (my FIL), I say nothing if they walk right in.

I wear slippers or strictly for house shoes in our own house. When I go to someone's house to visit, I always bring my slippers in a shoe bag that I tuck into my purse while I'm there. My feet get cold unless the weather is hot, so it's just nicer to have something of my own to put on.

As for unwanted criticism about my house, I just nod, say thanks for the idea and that's it. I just forget it unless it IS a good idea lol.

IMO, don't sweat the small stuff. Getting riled up over other people's opinions or ideas aren't worth it.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:35 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
You say "family" then it evolves into "Mom". Sorry, son. Fair game. One day you won't have her around to criticize you. Will that be better?

Old 12-17-2016, 06:52 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I have a very good friend who used to always give "advice." She would preface it with "you should..." or "you need to...", even "tell your husband he needs to..." I don't think that it ever occurred to her that I might have had a good reason to do things the way I do them, it just wasn't acceptable because that was not how she would do it. She eventually got over herself and doesn't do it much anymore.

Now, the shoe question- I feel that if you are having guests that it is your obligation to make them feel comfortable. If you are that worried that someone will get your rug dirty, or get a stain on your white couch, perhaps you shouldn't invite people over. Just my opinion.
I member the movie "Help support your local Sheriff" with James Garner.

In 1 scene he was walking down the street and a "busy-body" woman came up to him and was about to tell him what to do and she said, "It is none of my business but" when he cut her off before she could say anything else with, " That's good, I like people who mind their own business" and walked away.

She was left with dumbfounded look on her face.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:54 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
9 times out of 10 with the people we visit or come to visit us, remove their shoes at the door. I have washable slippers that I offer them if they haven't brought their own. The bottom of your shoes might look clean, but the streets that you walk on are filthy with dog poop, spit, gum, and whatever else.

If an older person comes to visit (my FIL), I say nothing if they walk right in.

I wear slippers or strictly for house shoes in our own house. When I go to someone's house to visit, I always bring my slippers in a shoe bag that I tuck into my purse while I'm there. My feet get cold unless the weather is hot, so it's just nicer to have something of my own to put on.

As for unwanted criticism about my house, I just nod, say thanks for the idea and that's it. I just forget it unless it IS a good idea lol.

IMO, don't sweat the small stuff. Getting riled up over other people's opinions or ideas aren't worth it.
"IMO, don't sweat the small stuff."

You tell us what you do and then say "IMO, don't sweat the small stuff."

It looks like that is EXACTLY what you are doing.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:03 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times
"Thanks Mom.... I'll think about it."

And change the subject.

And I'm with you on the no shoes in the house. I grew up that way, so that's what I am used to. Our floors are beautiful finished wood buffed by our socks for generations. The carpets are clean. It is wonderful to walk barefoot in your own home and not have your feet turn black.

And why people can even imagine that in snow-y winter that it's ok to walk into someone's house with snow boots and spread dirty wet water all over is beyond me. Those people did not grow up doing enough cleaning/chores, and don't have respect for other people's things and time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships