Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 08:46 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
That's why these forums are for. Get over yourself.
What's there to get over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 09:27 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times
Personally, if someone said they were going to visit a new place during Christmas, I'd probably just tell them I hope they enjoy their trip. There's lots of people who don't go visit relatives during the holidays, so I can't understand why anyone would even question why! For many people, those family gatherings can be stressful, depressing and really not worth it. So I think everyone can decide for themselves if they want to do it or not.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:45 AM

274 posts, read 252,577 times
"Are you going home for Christmas?"

"-I AM home."

"I mean, home to your parents?"

"No."

Works for me every year.....

Old 12-19-2016, 04:46 AM

13,690 posts, read 7,973,244 times
I tell everyone I can't afford the airfare which is true. I'd love to go back but don't have the money.

Just say you'll be staying in town this holiday season.

Nobody is trying to get too personal.

Asking what you're doing this holiday season is on par with what are you going to do this summer vacation.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:47 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I would say "not going to make it out this year." No more no less, that should shut them up.
I agree with this. I haven't been "home" in almost 40 years. Keep it brief, "less is more" in this case and doesn't engage the person to ask questions. Just answer and change the subject or walk away.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:51 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
at least you get asked..

Old 12-19-2016, 09:07 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
I'm a woman. I don't know why people on here have this bad habit of assuming every poster is a man.
We can't see you, and your screen name gives no hint as to your gender. In cases where someone's gender is unknown, it is standard practice to use the male pronoun. At least, it is here in America. Maybe European practice is different. I'm sure no offense was intended.

By the way, your screen name and your location information both point to your being located in Philadelphia. But by your various responses on this and other threads, I believe that you actually live in a European city. Are you going to get upset if people assume that you live in the City of Brotherly Love?

Old 12-19-2016, 01:35 PM

703 posts, read 612,396 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

This Christmas period has been rather unusual to me for various reasons.

The main reason being that last February, I decided to distance myself from my family due to their toxicity (I won't dive into this issue any further as I've already talked about on here to great lengths and I do not wish to reiterate this subject).

As a result, when people ask me 'Do you ever visit your family/go 'home' (I don't consider that place to be 'home' at all)? I tell them 'No, I'd rather travel to some place I've never been'. Then, I get this look and they try to get deeper: 'Really? Why?'. Why? Because it's none of your business!

This Christmas has been draining as I have been judged to extreme lengths by my co-workers who replied the following when I said I'm not visiting my family for Christmas:

- My dad said he would disown me if I didn't show up at Christmas. He said you can be anywhere in the world, but you have to be at home for Christmas (I got this story twice).

- Your parents should at least do a dinner. This is supposed to be a family time (Guess what dude? They don't celebrate Christmas, so they can do as they wish and their religious beliefs are none of your business).

- This is strange. I wouldn't be able to do such thing.

I'm tired of people's judgment on my personal life. First of all, I don't like people bringing my parents up because it's a sensitive topic which I don't wish to talk about. Second, they don't celebrate Christmas, but this is no one's business, but theirs. I shouldn't justify their choices to anyone. Thirdly, if I'm telling them I'm not going, I have my reasons, they should understand it's private!

The look of shock I get from people at work about this matter has been annoying me. I understand their need to enquire, but there comes a point where if a person tells you they won't visit their family, you should leave it at that and change topics.

Obviously, I'm going to disclose family matters with strangers at work. I don't understand why people can't mind their own damn business and assume everyone celebrates Christmas! They're so ignorant or act like it at times.

How to them down politely?

I know exactly what you mean. I had to listen to it my entire working life. Another reason I like being retired.

Sometimes I would say: "When I was young they always told me 'When you're 18 you're out of the house.' I'm over 18 so I'm out of the house."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships