Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 03:06 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times

Advertisements

Hate these no matter what the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 03:34 PM

997 posts, read 936,910 times
I like them.

I always got good gifts. One time I got the cheapskate as my gift exchange person, and I thought I would get something awful. Not that I cared.

He gave me a quality item. I nearly fell off my chair in shock. It was gorgeous and something that I really liked. I was proud of him, but after thinking about it, it must have been a 'regift'. There is no way he would have bought that. I loved the guy but he was cheap cheap cheap. I expected something ridiculous, like a box of sugar and ketchup packets. I would have enjoyed that.

I used to get someone who gave great presents. He had excellent taste. I still have these items.

One was an ornament exchange, many years ago. I got Mr. Good Taste....That is my favorite ornament that I have ever owned.

I prefer the gift exchange rather then having to acknowledge each person. It is a nod to Santa Claus.

Dollar limits should be flexible. Some people can't afford much, and others can. It isn't about what you get, it is about what you give. It might be something that they will fall in love with, and they will never forget where it came from.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:56 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
I like them.

I always got good gifts. One time I got the cheapskate as my gift exchange person, and I thought I would get something awful. Not that I cared.

He gave me a quality item. I nearly fell off my chair in shock. It was gorgeous and something that I really liked. I was proud of him, but after thinking about it, it must have been a 'regift'. There is no way he would have bought that. I loved the guy but he was cheap cheap cheap. I expected something ridiculous, like a box of sugar and ketchup packets. I would have enjoyed that.

I used to get someone who gave great presents. He had excellent taste. I still have these items.

One was an ornament exchange, many years ago. I got Mr. Good Taste....That is my favorite ornament that I have ever owned.

I prefer the gift exchange rather then having to acknowledge each person. It is a nod to Santa Claus.

Dollar limits should be flexible. Some people can't afford much, and others can. It isn't about what you get, it is about what you give. It might be something that they will fall in love with, and they will never forget where it came from.
Could I have your address? I have some Santa Claus tea cups I want to mail to you.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:37 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Most of those office gift exchanges are either re-gifted crap that nobody wants or gag gifts - no one ever gives anything good
The above is true for the most part. With that being said while it's unfortunate to put out more than you feel you recieved Christmas is supposed to be about GIVING (even if it's only a good laugh with a gag gift). Maybe the recipient of the wine and chocolates had no use for them either...you just never know.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:24 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,666 times
I don't participate. Honestly, anyone who expects a good gift, grab bag or just given, from a coworker, is just going to be disappointed. The people with the most money are usually the cheapest.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:25 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
The above is true for the most part. With that being said while it's unfortunate to put out more than you feel you recieved Christmas is supposed to be about GIVING (even if it's only a good laugh with a gag gift). Maybe the recipient of the wine and chocolates had no use for them either...you just never know.
I wasn't going to say any thing, but the alcohol is such a terrible and thoughtless gift. How do you know they're not an alcoholic?

Old 12-18-2016, 06:26 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Most of the ones I've been involved in were secret Santas with strict rules, or White Elephants where the worse the better.

But there have issues....I once got a secret Santa gift that was way over the top of the budget amount. It was rather embarrassing, because it was a highly publicized gift set from Macy's, so everyone knew how much it cost, everyone knew the person who gave it to me was in debt up to her eyeballs....

I mean we had a 15 dollar limit (this was 30 years ago) and this was advertised on sale ...deep discount... nearly 60 bucks. I still remember how bad I felt...I can't remember specifically what it was...it was a boxed gift set. I talked to my supervisor, and I tried to talk to her....she wouldn't hear it...

And I thought ornament exchanges were safe, but yikes....a coworker went to the dollar store and paid a quarter on this ugly wooden thing that wasn't even Christmas related. Ah, he hated my guts and I hated him, too. I put it on my rear view mirror and left it there, and made a point of parking next to him as much as possible...it irked him for some reason....

Old 12-18-2016, 06:38 PM

381 posts, read 642,622 times
Grateful my coworkers decided against it this year.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:10 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
I do love them, but I go in expecting to get crap, while I always give something nice. And I've been pleasantly surprised to get some pretty nice items, that I still love, even years later. I think they're fun. But it is too bad that there are so many people who don't put in the effort.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:16 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I wasn't going to say any thing, but the alcohol is such a terrible and thoughtless gift. How do you know they're not an alcoholic?
I wouldn't give alcohol/wine in a work grab bag, but I do give wine as gifts a lot and I don't think it's thoughtless or terrible at all. I actually think its a nice gift as many people enjoy wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships