Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 09:45 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Bleh. I prefer to exchange with close friends who know me. I go to work...to earn a living, pls don't throw baby and wedding showers for people who are not in my personal social circle. They usually leave the employer shortly after never to be seen again. That is life! Pass the hat for for charity

Mae
If my coworkers at the time had not thrown me an office baby shower, I would not have had one. My friends and family outside of work did not bother. I thought it was tacky to plan my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 09:50 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
We had a hilarious Christmas left / right story and fun was had by all.
We've done the left/right story as well. Was yours a version of "The Night Before Christmas"? That was pretty fun, and a nice change from the usual "Dirty Santa" gift exchange.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:55 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
If my coworkers at the time had not thrown me an office baby shower, I would not have had one. My friends and family outside of work did not bother. I thought it was tacky to plan my own.
Why didn't they bother? I assume this was not your first baby. No one is entitled to a shower...fyi.

I still stand by my message.

Mae

Old 12-19-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
We've done the left/right story as well. Was yours a version of "The Night Before Christmas"? That was pretty fun, and a nice change from the usual "Dirty Santa" gift exchange.
It was. A very creative coworker made it about the company and included every employee.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Why didn't they bother? I assume this was not your first baby. No one is entitled to a shower...fyi.

I still stand by my message.

Mae
My coworkers threw one for my second. I did not have a baby shower with the first. My mom planned a bridal shower. It my ex mil cancelled it. I still feel like I missed out. I now want to have a real wedding but still need to find a groom.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:22 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,495 times
I think it's fun, if it's meant to be silly. Like a white elephant gift exchange, where the price limit is $5.00. My daughter participated in three of them this year. She got Trump masks for $5.00 each from a local store. Everyone thought they were hilarious, and people would "grab" them from others. And she came home laughing because the gifts she had chosen kept getting grabbed as well. It's fun if you treat it like a silly thing.

I would HATE to do a real gift exchange though - where you were meant to spend around $20-$30, and it was more like a Secret Santa deal. Not only would I dislike having to buy something for someone I didn't know well (and resent having to spend the money, period), but invariably, there would be plenty of people who would end up with total crap, because whoever gave the item didn't want to spend the money (so they pulled out recycled crap like old candles, or scented lotion they got ten years ago, etc.).

Old 12-19-2016, 10:49 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,973 times
Quote:
Bleh. I prefer to exchange with close friends who know me. I go to work...to earn a living, pls don't throw baby and wedding showers for people who are not in my personal social circle. They usually leave the employer shortly after never to be seen again. That is life! Pass the hat for for charity

Mae
I think the funniest one of these was having a hat literally passed to me put in my lap at an office meeting because they were taking up a collection for someone recently diagnosed with cancer. I was watching my own hair fall out at the time and collecting head scarfs for the following week when I would be bald from chemo.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:57 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
And even if the recipient doesn't drink, it is always nice to have for guests or to "re-gift."
What? If someone is an alcoholic, he doesn't need to keep a bottle of something in his possession for any reason.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:03 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Asking this for the fun of it this holiday season. I didn't participate in the office gift exchange this year because I got ripped off last year. It's funny really. It had a thirty dollar or less rule, bring a gift if you want to participate. We bought a giant box of fancy chocolates and a good bottle of wine. Came away with what looked like a worn out box of regifted cheezy tea cups with gingerbread and Santas(I mean seriously worn out box like it had been shuffled around a while) and one tiny miniature casserole dish. I noticed lots of the gifts were just crap like this being given to people that all have houses and a fully stocked kitchen already. When it is said that its the thought that counts this actually means you are suppose to think about what someone might like to receive. Doesn't it? I was saying in another thread how people just exchange crap nobody wants. Does anyone think its fun to receive doo doo like this?

You mean like "Secret Santas"? My church women's group did one, and I have been involved in others - YES - I like them!

But then I like anything that involves Christmas!

Old 12-19-2016, 12:31 PM

230 posts, read 173,241 times
I enjoy them very much and they're fun! I like the game where you throw 2 dice in a pie pan for doubles. Then you get to take someone else's gift that you like better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships