Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 06:46 PM

513 posts, read 737,162 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this question, but it didn't seem to fit in "Automotive." Recently I gave up my car because it would have been more expensive to repair than it was worth, so now have no personal transportation. A close relative was going to be out of the state, didn't need her car for a couple of months, and offered to lend me her car temporarily. While I had it, I had to replace 4 quarts of transmission fluid and purchase a new battery (didn't leave lights on too long or anything--it was just the natural death of an old battery).

When I mentioned these costs, she really didn't see why I would expect to be reimbursed because I was using the car. Of course, if I caused some damage, a fender bender or even pop a tire due to running over a nail or some such, I'd feel responsible for those things. Not sure of the legalities and I'm not going to try to take my relative to small claims court in any case, but am I wrong to feel this is not right? I'm sorry I accepted the offer and won't do that again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 07:18 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
Would it have cost you more money to rent a car in that time period that you borrowed the car as it cost for you to put into her car? I suspect renting a car might have cost you more money. Just curious.

It's probably not worth bringing up the money you put into the car with her again as she did you a favor. I'd let it go and never borrow anything from her again.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:15 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
I find it appalling that you are being so cheap, petty, and ungrateful about this. You were without a car, and your relative lent you hers without cost. For two months! Whether she was using it at the time or not is immaterial; it's still her property, and she was under no obligation to let you use it. Moreover, if she hadn't done this, what would you have done then? Whatever your alternative plan for transportation was, I'll bet it would have been a lot more expensive.

Yes, you should pay for the transmission fluid and the battery. You should tell her that you did this and give her the receipts -- not to get paid back, but so that she will know that her car was properly maintained in her absence. You should have also washed the car, vacuumed out the interior, and filled the gas tank to full before returning it to her, with your effusive thanks.

If I were her, and I knew your thoughts as expressed here, I'd never lend you anything again.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this question, but it didn't seem to fit in "Automotive." Recently I gave up my car because it would have been more expensive to repair than it was worth, so now have no personal transportation. A close relative was going to be out of the state, didn't need her car for a couple of months, and offered to lend me her car temporarily. While I had it, I had to replace 4 quarts of transmission fluid and purchase a new battery (didn't leave lights on too long or anything--it was just the natural death of an old battery).
When I mentioned these costs, she really didn't see why I would expect to be reimbursed because I was using the car. Of course, if I caused some damage, a fender bender or even pop a tire due to running over a nail or some such, I'd feel responsible for those things. Not sure of the legalities and I'm not going to try to take my relative to small claims court in any case, but am I wrong to feel this is not right? I'm sorry I accepted the offer and won't do that again!
If you lease a vehicle you are responsible for those things as well as the gasoline you use.
When you use a vehicle you maintain the vehicle as well as returning it in the same condition or better than when you first took possession. I believe your relative is the one who should feel slighted because you expect to be reimbursed when she voluntarily loaned the vehicle to you at no cost.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
OMG!

How much would it have cost you to rent a car for two months? I have no idea.
My son rented a mini-van for ten days last summer and it cost him over $1,000. I needed to rent a small/medium size car and it cost $350 for one week.

You should have been grateful to your relative not bugging her to reimburse you the $100 (or whatever) that you spent. Sheesh!

Old 12-19-2016, 08:57 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I sort of understand where you're coming from OP, your relative is going to get far more use out of the battery you paid for than you did. But, realistically, what did you spend? Maybe $150 or so in total? Yes, that's less than the cost to rent for a week, and probably less than what she paid to keep the car insured while you had possession of it.

You had a car, you understand the expenses related to driving them. It's unrealistic, and ungrateful to expect somebody else to cover the costs incurred while you drove it.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Perhaps OP you can deduct those costs when you pay her $45 per day plus taxes for the two months you used her car.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:03 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
OMG!

How much would it have cost you to rent a car for two months? I have no idea.
My son rented a mini-van for ten days last summer and it cost him over $1,000. I needed to rent a small/medium size car and it cost $350 for one week.

You should have been grateful to your relative not bugging her to reimburse you the $100 (or whatever) that you spent. Sheesh!
Not only that, but there is also a few months of wear and tear on the car that the OP is not accounting for, as well as the risk of damage the relative was taking by letting someone else use her car.

I agree, the OP sounds ungrateful for the very large favor she did for him. He should return the car with a full tank of gas, a sincere expression of gratitude and no mention of an expectation of being paid for maintaining her vehicle while in his use.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:31 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Ya know, for some people there are simply no answers. This is probably one of the most self centered, entitled posts I have seen on here, and there have been some winners.

The person who did you that great favor brings to mind an old saying. No good deed goes unpunished.

Wow, just wow.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:35 PM

308 posts, read 267,390 times
You are probably a bit upset because you think that the money spent on the transmission fluid and new battery does not serve you all that much since the car does not belong to you. Perhaps you should consider, instead, that the money was an investment in earning respect and a guaranteed helping hand in the future from that relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships