Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:08 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
When he came to US he was living on his own in a diff state, but I have been paying his phone bill since last 3 years. He moved in with me for 2 months when he lost his job, wasn't paying any of my bills and during then I was fine him not paying me anything because he didn't had a job. His plan was to share an apt if he finds a job in the place where I live, but he got job in diff state and he has moved out. I have asked him to set up an auto transfer to my account for the phone bill every month which he hasn't yet. So for this reason as well I might just separate out his phone line and tell him to manage his own phone account now.
Yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 11:46 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,741 times
Quote:
My family is quite liberal when it comes to getting married. We were always been told that it's upto us if we want to get married, when and with whom we want to. They just taught us to find a spouse with good qualities. He keeps on saying that all of his friends are married and have kids and he is the only one who doesn't. We have tried explaining him that there is nothing wrong about staying single or getting married late if he wants too. We are hoping that with such thoughts, he doesn't ruin his career.
I meant more of a subconscious pressure, that he may feel as if he is letting you down or not keeping up, even though you are telling him it's not a big deal. It can also be hard to adjust when all your friends are no longer available as much because they have families now and you don't.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:32 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,101 times
Teach him how to use "Skype". You can communicate for free over the internet.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:42 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,380,234 times
Leave your brother alone to live his own life anyway he wants to. A life without marriage, children, family is valid and honorable just the same.
I left my family behind in the hometown because I did not want the constant pressure of them meddling in my private affairs, offering unsolicited advice, pointing out what they think is wrong with me, and trying to run my life. Perhaps this is the same for your brother.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
When he came to US he was living on his own in a diff state, but I have been paying his phone bill since last 3 years. He moved in with me for 2 months when he lost his job, wasn't paying any of my bills and during then I was fine him not paying me anything because he didn't had a job. His plan was to share an apt if he finds a job in the place where I live, but he got job in diff state and he has moved out. I have asked him to set up an auto transfer to my account for the phone bill every month which he hasn't yet. So for this reason as well I might just separate out his phone line and tell him to manage his own phone account now.
This is a good idea, and the only thing you should be discussing with him, unless he asks you for advice. The rest is non of your business.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:09 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,114,432 times
Is he still living with you? And if yes, then is he helping you pay the bills at your house?

Old 01-02-2017, 06:13 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
I'm in the minority here yet my advisal carries some experience.

It is commendable that your family cares. So few members do about their siblings. He sounds like his "bouncing" around is discontentment. Broach him with kind concern. My Brothers ( I have 5) , tended to keep the peace til they saw I was headed down an unhealthy path. One called to "wake me up" so to speak. I was glad he cared enough to address the circumstances in a non judgmental way.

I would suggest asking him What he wants in the way of family concern, or if he feels he is cutting ties as away to be "independent". If so, then let him be.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:35 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
OP, what do you want to happen here? What exactly is it you want to happen?

Maybe if you define that, you can figure out the answer.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
I have a brother who is in his late 30's
I just went to check our usage today
He's an adult. Tell him to get a phone with a plan, then mind your own business.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:22 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
He's an adult. It's his life. Butt out! His wanting or needing to be married is NONE of your concern. Why on earth are adults sharing a cell phone plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships