Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 03:56 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,385,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwman2830 View Post
America is my new homeland.
Welcome to America.

Mothers will be Mothers... we can be a pain in the a** but we are always here for you. Enjoy your life!

Quote:
I wonder what if it will be a guy since i am more oriented toward men.
Maybe you will meet a nice Polish guy My husband and I---both our parents are from a little Country in Eastern Europe and it has made our life easier because of that common interest. We made three sons to continue the heritage--if they continue it fine, it not, that is fine too. We did our part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 04:04 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
From what I know of the Polish community in Chicago, they are VERY close-knit so I'm not surprised your mother is always asking. At some point this becomes completely your own business. You don't need to antagonize or upset her just say they're nice people, or whatever and change the subject as best you can. She wants to be sure you're meeting "good" people and certainly if there is a Polish community it would be a good thing to seek it out in terms of finding Polish food, and other connections that could be helpful in terms of housing, leads for jobs, etc. Just take it as a mother's advice and leave it at that.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:27 PM

866 posts, read 629,728 times
Quote:
repeatedly if you met your countrymen in a new country or state you moved to?

I am originally from Poland and live in California. Everytime my mother calls asks me whenever I went to meet people somewhere if I met Poles.

Part of thing I am struggling with is full assimilation as American, because I did not start learning English until I immigrated to the US and was almost adult so I retained thick Polish accent in English conversations. Even when I say my name, they ask me how to pronounce despite saying a simple name in English form. Whenever I get jobs, I noticed from my research I am only able to get ones step down of my knowledge and skills at lower pay despite having full legal status.

I am trying to adapt and fit in as best as I can, meet new people and don't care if somebody is Russian, Polish, etc, but do want to meet as much as possible those who speak English fluently.

I kinda get angry, every time when my mother asks if I met Poles. I did not emigrate with her to America to just stick with Polish like her. I explained to her once I am trying to assimilate and meet no matter what origin and still get asked those questions. Poland might be my country of origin but America is my new homeland.
This is really about self respect/worth and self esteem. Many of our parents exert a powerful effect upon our sense of self worth and can easily SHAME us with such questions and judgments so the best and perhaps only solution is to raise or improve one's self esteem/respect/worth/value/dignity any way possible to counter balance or fend off the pressures others, especially parents, can and will put upon their kids, employees, friends, spouses, etc.
Once you have high, healthy, SOLID self respect, nobody can shame or pull you down anymore and you begin to live a FREE & HAPPY life with courage and dignity. You can even go on with a Polish "accent" and be just as happy as everyone with no accent (LOL, everyone has an "accent"!).
Good luck improving your self worth,
jim

Old 01-02-2017, 05:38 PM

866 posts, read 629,728 times
Quote:
I also read often times Polish people avoid too closely associating with other Polish abroad because of jealousy or competition. For example I reqd complaints as soon as somebody moved up in the ladder and got a nice house or car they were getting stabbed in the back by refusal to maintain contact or rumors. I am pretty sure it is not limited to Polish diaspora, but wanted it to throw it out there.
Again, this is about SHAME and bad self esteem/respect which will cause anyone to be: jealous, competitive, embarrassed, timid, angry, a back stabber, stand-offish, fearful and many other negatives all because the negative person suffers with BAD SELF ESTEEM and low self worth or toxic SHAME.
There are cures for that if someone want to fix their damaged attitudes.
google: self esteem or self respect.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:53 AM

997 posts, read 936,910 times
She wants a daughter in law, not a son in law. She wants them to be polish.

That isn't too much to ask.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:33 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
She wants a daughter in law, not a son in law. She wants them to be polish.

That isn't too much to ask.
So you would marry a person you're not attracted to just to please your mother? It is a lot to ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships