Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 12:03 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,053 times

Advertisements

Next time if they try to hug you, step away and say that it is not in your practice and prefer not to.

If you're two weeks new in the company, ask around is this their 'culture' to welcome new staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 12:36 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
"DONT TOUCH ME". That's how

Old 01-04-2017, 12:38 PM

88,504 posts, read 84,673,021 times
My friend uploaded this picture from Purple Clover and tagged me with it on Facebook:

Old 01-04-2017, 12:45 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,050 times
Call me a dinosaur, but I think hugging is very inappropriate in the work place.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:12 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
My husband isn't a hugger and my brother has a new girlfriend who IS a hugger. Despite the fact that my husband has told her he doesn't like to hug people, she thinks it's a joke and still goes in for the hug. The last time we saw them he just told her no and she finally seemed to get it.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison21 View Post
If you see them going in for a hug, stick out your hand for a handshake instead and say, "Nothing personal, I'm just not a hugger with anyone." At my previous job I had a teammate that was like this. We respected her wishes. My old team and I still meet up for happy hour/dinner at least once per year and I always remind myself on the way there not to hug her when I see her.
This, except if you simply stuck out your hand, I think they would get the message.

There should be no hugging at the workplace, though, especially between men and women. Or between any personnel. I can see friends giving hugs if a coworker gets sudden calamitous news, but otherwise, hugging can get the hugger in trouble.

By holding others at arms' length, the OP is doing her male coworkers a favor.

By the way, they are hugging you because they like hugging a pretty young woman.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:44 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natiam View Post
For some reason, I give off a vibe where people think it's ok to hug me. I feel very uncomfortable when it happens and it's been a common occurence at work within a two week time frame (all by males). One was a manager and the other two were just coworkers. Out of those 3 who hugged me, I didn't mind one of them because he's like a father figure to me (a coworker) and treats me like I'm his daughter. But the other two who hugged me, I just felt uncomfortable when they did it. This is all after a professional discussion of some kind. So how do I go about expressing this without seeming like I'm some uptight person? (I just don't like being touched, period.)
Just hold out your hand to shake immediately. That's what men do.

Then if it happens, anyway, just accept the hug. It's not a big deal, unless you think they're making a pass.

Also, make sure you are speaking in a grownup voice. Some women have tiny voices, which gives the impression of being incapable, young, etc. If you have such a voice, you have to work to get it to sound like a capable adult voice. I suspect the men view you as needing protection, which is not good if you want a career with responsibility.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:21 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,594 times
A couple months ago a colleague informed me that she wasn't a hugger and I wasn't at all upset about it. Keep a slight physical distance (you probably already do), then maybe do something like shake their hand and state you are not a hugger.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:23 PM

1,160 posts, read 712,338 times
people know I'm not a hugger. Probably my body language showing my anxiety at being hugged when they're hugging everyone else

Old 01-04-2017, 02:38 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,379,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natiam View Post
For some reason, I give off a vibe where people think it's ok to hug me. I feel very uncomfortable when it happens and it's been a common occurence at work within a two week time frame (all by males). One was a manager and the other two were just coworkers. Out of those 3 who hugged me, I didn't mind one of them because he's like a father figure to me (a coworker) and treats me like I'm his daughter. But the other two who hugged me, I just felt uncomfortable when they did it. This is all after a professional discussion of some kind. So how do I go about expressing this without seeming like I'm some uptight person? (I just don't like being touched, period.)
Back away from them as they reach for you. It's not impolite or insensitive to do so.

Touching you without permission is technically illegal and can be prosecuted as simple assault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships