Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 08:37 AM

50,792 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny74 View Post
I think a better question is "Why would you want to???" What is the real reason for wanting to?
I think a lot depends on your experiences in school. Had I been one of the "in" crowd, joined sports teams and the Yearbook club and went to Disney World for Senior trip and had great memories of high school I'd probably want to as well. Unfortunately that wasn't me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 12:06 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrich View Post
Shame, fear, hurt feelings, guilt, anger, misunderstandings, humiliation, social awkwardness, a bad memory or event but mostly it's about FEAR.
Some people have short memories and forget the pain they caused. Years ago an old HS friend wanted to reconnect and our relationship was good at first. We were both married and had kids so we didn't hang out every day but we did talk and get together occasionally..... then one day out of the blue I got a very angry phone call from her husband who told me in no uncertain terms that I was NOT to contact his wife anymore and was not allowed to see her. Why, you ask? Because apparently she had been using me as 'cover' for an affair she was having. I knew nothing about the affair but yet I got blamed.

She recently contacted me and wants to resume our friendship even going as far as to say that her husband was looking forward to seeing me again too. Sorry.. she may have forgotten.. He may have forgotten but I didn't.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:03 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
I grew up in tough times, with some good and bad people. I remember when it was cool to try to re connect thru a facebook group or whatever. I never participated for good reason.

Some of us went away for along time, now they return at zero. some went and got very educated, so now they want to rub it in. and there are others who have an old score to settle. That was an old chapter in life , and we move on. Its not like bumping into someone in the old neighborhood. Unless there is a need , or we were very tight with families, no time or desire to rekindle old friends because people change.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:04 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
This is one reason I love Facebook, you can reconnect but not get too involved with high school friends.

I've sort of moved on, but it's nice to see what a successful group of classmates I had!

Old 06-17-2018, 09:38 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
Here’s the reason I give for not attending high school reunions— I spent too much time in therapy getting over high school. I leave out the part about getting over social ostracism and bullying from my fellow students, because that’s my business and there’s no reason to share that. Since I live a thousand miles from my hometown and have no reason to return, there’s no other medium in which to encounter them.

In a weak moment a decade ago, I accepted a handful of Facebook friend invites from former classmates. No one was mean or ugly, but I honestly had no interest in almost any of their lives, so I quietly unfriended them. More generally, I think a desire to reconnect with folks like those depends on whether you have positive feelings about them. I don’t, for the most part.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:52 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
facebook? you've got to be joking, I gave up on that rubbish about 5 years ago, its so boring, but then most people are these days.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Because they've grown up and moved on.
This.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:55 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Cause the past is the past.

I want to go forward, not backwards.

I was bullied, high school sucked for me. I don't want to see the people who tormented me.

Last edited by 49ersfan27; 06-17-2018 at 07:18 PM..

Old 06-17-2018, 07:39 PM

4,242 posts, read 947,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My school days were not happy. I have no wish to revisit that unhappy time in my life. I am sure I am not the only one with those feelings.
Same for me. Every five years the high school reunion coordinating committee gets in touch to try to guilt everyone into coming. I've managed to fend them off but their persistence and intrusiveness are unbelievable.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:26 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
but then again I have no need to step into the past to see who did what with their lives..I'm a million miles from all those people. I've worked through so much pain from back then. Some things you just have to allow to stay in the past so you don't keep dragging them along. Reunions are mostly for people who are nosy to see what's become of this one or that one, who want to show off what they did all their lives,.. I'd rather keep going on without stepping back into the 60's or 70's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships