Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 11:21 PM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times

Advertisements

I think re-connecting is ok. I have been re-connecting with alumni from HS days and it's been fun. I was never popular or part of the "in crowd" but today I am amazed at these people who want to connect with me. It's all good.

My good childhood friend and I had a huge blow up and I ripped into her. We had our little clique of friends and were getting ready to host a reunion. My childhood friend started talking so badly about the girls that I got fed up and went ballistic. I just do not understand people like that who have to talk behind other people's backs. If they talk about them- than surely they must talk about me. I don't have patience for that kind of nonsense. Anyway, we do not talk anymore and that's ok. She changed a lot. Life goes on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 07:22 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

But here's the problem. I don't have kids, never wanted them either. So now I am finding some of the people who friended me on FB do nothing but post pictures of grandkids and talk about them all the time. I like these people and don't want to unfriend them but I sure get sick and tired of looking at their family members whom I have never even met. Nor do I want to hear how "precious" the little grand kid is fifty times a day. So I just scroll over most of those.

That's the equivalent of sending annual 8x10 glossies of their ugly offspring and passing that off as a Christmas card.

You might want to inform the doting grandcreatures that they are enabling child predators.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:41 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Be it Primary School, High School, some other place of association, what are the reasons some don't want to reconnect with people of their pasts?

I have no desire to reconnect with anyone from my past. The past is best left in the past. The memories you have of how they were is not what you will find today. They have changed, you have changed, and your memories will be tarnished.

They say you can not go home again, and they are right. That is why I don't do facebook or any other social media activity where you can be located by people you do not care to see again.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:10 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Be it Primary School, High School, some other place of association, what are the reasons some don't want to reconnect with people of their pasts?
Sometimes it's too hard to keep the people one never wishes to see again apart from those one would be okay with seeing again. If those people and that environment meant nothing but pain to that person, why would he or she want a reminder of them? There could also be people one literally cannot deal with because one would be too prone to commit an act against them that would limit one's future options, or worries that one might.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:11 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
Quote:
Because they aren't that person any more.

Friendships come and go for a reason--one or both of the parties grow in different directions. One may take darker paths, another might embrace a different lifestyle. Most people look to the future. Looking to the past may be nostalgic, but it rarely turns into "Hey, look what I've been missing all this time!"

The past made you what you are today -- you can't go back.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:12 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Likely if they had been that close, they would have never disconnected. Reconnecting after many years is a real investment in time and mutual energy...Key word being mutual....if the interest/need isn't there it won't happen.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:57 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
If I wasn't friends with you then, I don't care to be friends with you now.

Also, there are things from my past I want to stay in my past. Not looking back. Don't even want to think about it.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:01 AM

797 posts, read 751,615 times
No point. I have a family. Don't need the past involved in it.
Then again, I don't think anyone wants to connect with me anyways.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:11 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
I am almost always open to new friends or reconnecting with people I used to know. I'm really kind of shocked at some of the negative responses here.

In my experience, people who didn't want to re-connect because they have some shame about their past life and that's really their issue, not mine. Or they have the smug attitude that they don't need anymore friends. But then, guess what! Some of those friends move away, pass away or just move on. Then when there's a crisis in their life, nobody is around to help them. Their "too many friends" are all gone.

I used to have my toddler daughter in a mom's day out program. I tried to get to know other moms by arranging play dates, because I wanted to help my daughter learn to socialize. But most of them would say they didn't have time for play dates. They didn't see the point in it. Now I see some of these same moms in elementary school, we'll chat, and they are complaining that their child has no social skills and can't make friends. Oh gee, I wonder why??

Old 01-06-2017, 09:19 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
If I wasn't friends with you then, I don't care to be friends with you now.

Also, there are things from my past I want to stay in my past. Not looking back. Don't even want to think about it.

Bingo ! We, too, are different people than we were back then. I have grown and am not the same person I once was. I do not want to remember that me, and reconnecting with others would bring back those memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships