Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 05:20 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This DOES give her husband pleasure. Come on.

They have the money. He likes spending it generously on family. I would bet that he's also generous when it comes to the OP. Bet she wouldn't really want to change that trait in him.

I'm not even justifying or discussing the behavior of the other family members - the OP is not going to be able to change their behaviors or attitudes at ALL.
I get it. You are here to take a position to argue, so that the OP or anyone else that has a problem, you turn it around so they are the problem.

Welcome to my ignore list, KathrynAragon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 06:45 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I get it. You are here to take a position to argue, so that the OP or anyone else that has a problem, you turn it around so they are the problem.

I agree with Kathryn. That does not mean I'm here to argue. Why would you take it that way?

(Yeah, I guess I'm on "Ignore" too.)

Old 01-18-2017, 09:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:

SCORE!

You've totally misread my intent but get this - I don't care. (And I figure you're reading this so HELLO!)

Old 01-18-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I agree with Kathryn. That does not mean I'm here to argue. Why would you take it that way?

(Yeah, I guess I'm on "Ignore" too.)
Welcome to the club!

Some people see differing opinions as somehow intentionally offensive behavior directed personally at them. I don't get that type of mindset but it's really not my problem.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:26 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about the poor treatment and not offering to pitch in. It is shameful to try to justify this as spending money on a hobby which gives you pleasure. You are trying to rationalize the abuse by these in-laws. Might as well say, At least they have not physically attacked you. Come on!
Being rude =/= abuse! Come ON! The husband enjoys spending the money he's earned on his family. The OP resents that, and by extension, his family. This is NOT rocket science, it is not "abuse" - it's a spoiled brat having a tantrum.

And please - I want to be on the list too! Can I? Can I? Can I? Pretty please?

Old 01-18-2017, 12:36 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
She is not being abused. I agree with the OP that it was rude for the MIL not to acknowledge the birth of her child, and that the MIL's boyfriend is getting a free ride, but calling it abuse is a stretch. She complained about her MIL staying at her BIL's house (NOT her house), complained about taking her children to see the MIL when she (the MIL) is sick, and even complained that her BIL gives her kids toys from TJ Maxx and Home Goods. First of all I think it's distasteful that she's looking at where the toy came from, rather than if it makes her child happy. Second of all, does a 2 year-old really need their toys to come from Saks and Barneys?

I also don't think OP has really tried that hard to tell her husband how all this makes her feel. All of us are guilty of thinking we told someone how something bothers us, when what we actually did was give a drive-by comment, or we say it in a way that sounds like repetitive complaining and they tune us out. If she were serious she'd stop going to these dinners. Bottom line she is stingy with money and selfish with her affection.
I agree that the husband should learn better shopping, that's something perhaps the OP could do.... But it seems neither sides are looking to work on compromise since it would mean there's a problem in the picture. The one thing I find interesting is that the OP mentioned that her husband said she basically should be there because it screws him over money wise. Obviously he does notice there's a discrepancy of fairness in this situation. She's saying they're already being screwed over, regardless of her appearance. Obviously the husband should acknowledge his wife's position, but they need to come up with a plan to deal with this. Her focus on the issues isn't helping at all and serves as a distraction to the bill problem.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:26 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
OP hasn't been back for almost a week now, so I think people can stop telling her how wrong she is for being upset that her husband's family takes advantage of him, and for thinking she's entitled to care about how her family's money gets spent.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
OP hasn't been back for almost a week now, so I think people can stop telling her how wrong she is for being upset that her husband's family takes advantage of him, and for thinking she's entitled to care about how her family's money gets spent.
I don't believe anyone's said that.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:17 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
No, she hasn't been back because she's self-centered and stingy and most of us called her on it.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:14 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
I have an old friend from my undergraduate days, and I invite him and his wife for Thanksgiving every year. I put on a very nice spread each time, including smoked salmon, a lot of imported cheeses, and champagne before dinner, and a meal consisting of an insanely-expensive free-range turkey, several home-made vegetable dishes, a nice wine or two, and a couple of home-made desserts. I put a huge amount of effort--and a lot of expense--into providing a nice day and a wonderful meal for everyone.

His "contribution" each year is to bring a box of bakery cookies, and that box seems to get just a bit smaller every year. (Actually, this year, it was just a greasy paper bag of cookies...) After dinner, he hauls-out his own plastic containers, and proceeds to help himself to lots of my leftovers. Every year, he says something along the lines of...Next year, I should take all of you out to a nice restaurant for Thanksgiving...but...he never actually does this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships