Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 09:27 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeurich View Post
:dwell this happened quiet time ago when i was a university student. I was traveling in a train to another city to visit one of my relatives as well do a part of my research. Train ride was quiet long only in between few station it will stop. There was a guy who got in and sat next to me not that very old seems middle age. He start listen to his music with big head phones and start make noises like tatar traata with his mouth, not only that started giving the drum beat with his boots i can say every one in the compartment got annoyed but no one said anything,, train goes on,, then his phone start ringing so he answer, he talk with his one ear and the other one listen music multi tasking so it was awefull, he talk very loud, i still remember few lines of his conversation " oh baby did you eat entire bunny no even a tail for me,, naaw " conversation goes on and on and on. It is very loud and irritated. Well i just hold on my self but there was a lady who could not hold it any more sat behind our seat quickly stand and leaned forward to his ear and yelled, " honey i am horny it is time for sex close the window and come to bed" guy was so panicked and left the compartment.:d since that day every time some one talk loud in my ear gives me a smile with this unforgettable incident.
lol!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I have a voice that carries and have been told to quieten down. I rarely talk on the phone for more than a few minutes anyway.
I know I have a loud voice, and that is why I don't use my phone much in public, b/c I know how much it disturbs me....

Old 01-19-2017, 10:17 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
ATo suggest otherwise and to treat it differently is a form of bigotry analogous to racism. I'm totally serious.
Stay strong, my brother, keep up your valiant struggle!

Old 01-19-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Dogs bark. They bark at things. For many reasons. Maybe being outside in a cage us why the bark a lot, either way being angry over a barking dog and taking legal actions is petty.
no, it is not petty....I had neighbors who left their dog outside and the darn dog barked constantly, when you live on a farm with no neighbors, it's fine...but when you have neighbors who do not have dogs, they don't want to sit and listen to that...

and they shouldn't have to

Old 01-19-2017, 12:48 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
my grammer has nothing to do with it, all you did was come in all nasty using it to make a negative point, you know exactly what I meant. Geeze Louise, I love it when someone uses that excuse to try and make someone feel lesser then themselves. Let me tell you right now, I don't know you, I don't care about you, what I care about is having a sensible conversation with others about cell phone use...
In terms of having a conversation, I agree that the points being made are what matter the most, but when I make any arguments, I try and clean up my grammar, because in using ghetto or hillbilly or just all-around sloppy grammar, your argument appears weaker by that very one thing. It is not good enough to make your argument, you have to do that AND use good grammar BOTH. Innocent mistakes are one thing, but when you're lazy and sloppy and apathetic about things as basic as not saying "your just being silly" or such, your argument is automatically weakened.

Quote:
When people are talking to one another in a restaurant, they don't ring bells, and they don't talk nearly as loud as people do on the phone...
I call bull. I've been in public as much as the next person, and I have heard plenty of loud talking involving phones yes and also NOT involving phones. Horses for courses. As for ringing bells, big woop. I am anti-noise myself, but you can't eliminate all of it, and some of it is just unavoidable.

If they let it ring and ring and ring and ring, I agree, but 2-3 quick rings, oh well. People cough, and I hate the noise of coughing, but unless they're a hypochondriac in which case they probably should stay at home anyway if they're that sick, I just have to eat it. Noise pollution is one thing, but the entire world isn't required to stop living in a public place because of me. (On the other hand, the barking dog thing, that's a disturbance of someone's private property, totally unacceptable.)

Quote:
People are not saying this to attack you....cell phone bigotry, give me a break....
You talking to a generation that is not used to cell phones, being used every place we go...
Again, it's the year 2017. I'm not Charles Ingalls or Laura Ingalls and this isn't "Little House on the Prairie." I'm not going to use a tin-can & a string because people are stuck in the past about certain things.

Quote:
We were taught to whisper in public, in doctor's offices, the dentist office, and in restaurants, so as not to interrupt the conversations of others
I agree, whether it involves cellular phones or not, I agree.

Quote:
I have just as much right to peace and quiet as you have a right to use your phone...there is nothing written, and if it were not disturbing, believe me, Septa wouldn't have appointed a car for cell phone users only.
The issue is what is "peace and quiet." Reasonable freedom from very loud noises, sure, especially "noise for noise's sake" things like loud car mufflers, but advocating the elimination of every single noise in existence even to the point of thinking (apparently, I'm projecting a bit here) I'm supposed to ignore calls from my wife because the 1-2 rings of my phone or hearing me speak even in a normal voice upset you THAT much? It's not going to happen. I'm cool with not, you know, TALKING THIS LOUDLY and letting the phone ring 8321 times before I answer it, but other than showing extra discretion in quiet places like the library etc (anyone should do that, phone or no phone) that's all I think I'm obligated to provide for anybody.

Quote:
and just because your disturbing someone else, and they become vocal about it, doesn't mean it's bigotry....it is in fact a disturbance, that is annoying someone else....sheesh, bigotry?????? Please....give me a break.
Here is why I think much of this is indeed a form of bigotry:

(1) All the complaints I hear about "idiots on their phone" while driving, NOTHING about the people who swerve all over the place because they're trying to eat a bagel and drink a hot cup of coffee while driving. I've seen that just as much, and I apparently am not as old as you but I am old enough to well remember when cell phones weren't around, believe me I saw PLENTY of distracted driving long before cell phones came around, but people act like there was no such thing as distracted driving before cell phones and I know better than that.

(2) Bosses who throw the mother of all fits if you're spotted with your phone for even a nanosecond at work, even if you're contacting your babysitter or such, but the person hanging around the water cooler chit-chatting gets a pass. I once had a co-worker who was chewed out simply for showing a photo of her cat to her co-worker via her phone, meanwhile I had a whole display of physical prints at my desk which people would come by and gaze it and talk to me about, clearly the same thing--nothing.

(3) People griping about those "idiots taking stupid selfies" when I was doing that 13 years ago with a pocket digital camera, no one said a thing about that but now that you see it going on a lot with cell phones all of a sudden people are griping about it (when it's none of their business anyway)

(4) Posts such as "dear mom on your iPhone while your kid is playing," I have NEVER read such drivel when a mom, say, is reading her book at the park while "ignoring her kid."

(5) Someone told me of how they use their phone to take notes for doing their work, and people will give them hard stares of clear disapproval and sometimes even make comments. If he takes notes with a pen and paper, they say nothing.

(6) I'm told in California you can be pulled over for using your phone's GPS, but if you are using a stand-alone GPS or a paper map it's OK.

(7) Comments I've read where people are poking fun at the "idiots" on their Bluetooth and how "stupid they look," never mind that such allows a person to work around the very things you oppose--taking a long time to answer the phone and shouting. I've used them, and people can hear me much more clearly thus allowing me to talk at a lower volume, and I can more quickly answer, and this also helps make driving safer (I don't care what studies try to say it's still dangerous, I'm not buying it, just more bigotry) if for no other reason that you're not fumbling around looking for your phone. There you have it--noise isn't an issue, safety isn't an issue, yet people are STILL griping?

So yes, when people gripe about phones and try to make out like there's some difference between talking on the phone vs talking in public, I'm going to automatically be skeptical of that point of view because I've seen enough of this over the years to be really suspicious that they're being anything but a bigot.

Look, I agree that even if this bigotry, which I think it is, it's certainly not anywhere near the same degree as significant as what African-Americans had to endure in the past (and sometimes still do) or a woman being denied a job because she isn't a man. At its heart, though, it's fundamentally the exact same thing.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
shyguylh In terms of having a conversation, I agree that the points being made are what matter the most, but when I make any arguments, I try and clean up my grammar, because in using ghetto or hillbilly or just all-around sloppy grammar, your argument appears weaker by that very one thing. It is not good enough to make your argument, you have to do that AND use good grammar BOTH. Innocent mistakes are one thing, but when you're lazy and sloppy and apathetic about things as basic as not saying "your just being silly" or such, your argument is automatically weakened.
Not everyone is well versed in grammer, and no one was using ghetto or hillbilly grammer, you continually attack with insults, why? You came into the discussion with personal insults, which never accomplishes anything, it's like slapping the person your talking with, which puts them in a corner, like a bear with a sawed off paw. Is that hillbilly enough for you?

Quote:
I call bull. I've been in public as much as the next person, and I have heard plenty of loud talking involving phones yes and also NOT involving phones. Horses for courses. As for ringing bells, big woop. I am anti-noise myself, but you can't eliminate all of it, and some of it is just unavoidable.
well, that is you, and again, do I have to explain that not everyone feels and thinks like you do, there is most likely not one person in this entire world, that thinks and feels like you do, not even your soul mate. Therefore, what doesn't bother you, bothers others.
again, a complete lack of that concept which is awareness.

Quote:
If they let it ring and ring and ring and ring, I agree, but 2-3 quick rings, oh well. People cough, and I hate the noise of coughing, but unless they're a hypochondriac in which case they probably should stay at home anyway if they're that sick, I just have to eat it. Noise pollution is one thing, but the entire world isn't required to stop living in a public place because of me. (On the other hand, the barking dog thing, that's a disturbance of someone's private property, totally unacceptable.)
I have a gal sitting next to me who has been coughing for the past 3 weeks, and yes, it is extremely annoying but that she cannot help.

Quote:
Again, it's the year 2017. I'm not Charles Ingalls or Laura Ingalls and this isn't "Little House on the Prairie." I'm not going to use a tin-can & a string because people are stuck in the past about certain things.
it doesn't matter what year it is, and that is what you fail to understand...just b/c you think it's fine, doesn't mean it is. In other words, and please take this saying with you if nothing else.
Just b/c you feel one way about a thing, and I feel another way, doesn't make YOU right and ME wrong, or visa versa. Repeat that over and over and over to yourself please.

Quote:
The issue is what is "peace and quiet." Reasonable freedom from very loud noises, sure, especially "noise for noise's sake" things like loud car mufflers, but advocating the elimination of every single noise in existence even to the point of thinking (apparently, I'm projecting a bit here) I'm supposed to ignore calls from my wife because the 1-2 rings of my phone or hearing me speak even in a normal voice upset you THAT much? It's not going to happen. I'm cool with not, you know, TALKING THIS LOUDLY and letting the phone ring 8321 times before I answer it, but other than showing extra discretion in quiet places like the library etc (anyone should do that, phone or no phone) that's all I think I'm obligated to provide for anybody.
Baby, again you miss the point, your only viewing this by what bothers you, and what doesn't bother you.
I HAVE MS...DO YOU KNOW OR CAN YOU EVEN BEGIN TO IMAGINE, WHAT NOISE DOES TO ME? If a person sneezes I jump...it goes right thru me, and btw, MS effects my brain in many ways, including grammer, typos, etc...so chill, please b/c no matter who your conversing with in a public forum you have no idea what they are going thru or what they are dealing with.

Quote:
Here is why I think much of this is indeed a form of bigotry:

(1) All the complaints I hear about "idiots on their phone" while driving, NOTHING about the people who swerve all over the place because they're trying to eat a bagel and drink a hot cup of coffee while driving. I've seen that just as much, and I apparently am not as old as you but I am old enough to well remember when cell phones weren't around, believe me I saw PLENTY of distracted driving long before cell phones came around, but people act like there was no such thing as distracted driving before cell phones and I know better than that.
there are less people eating and drinking then people on phones.
I see people swerving constantly from bad driving habits, like texting and talking on their phones....they hold lines up at the lights constantly...and I lay on the horn anymore at them, really pisses me off. And they are always the ones in the front. If it were up to me, I'd give out tickets like anything!

Quote:
(2) Bosses who throw the mother of all fits if you're spotted with your phone for even a nanosecond at work, even if you're contacting your babysitter or such, but the person hanging around the water cooler chit-chatting gets a pass. I once had a co-worker who was chewed out simply for showing a photo of her cat to her co-worker via her phone, meanwhile I had a whole display of physical prints at my desk which people would come by and gaze it and talk to me about, clearly the same thing--nothing.
your on the phone, your there to work, not to talk on the phone, call the babysitter at lunch or on your break, and don't worry about what everyone else is doing, they are not you.

Quote:
(3) People griping about those "idiots taking stupid selfies" when I was doing that 13 years ago with a pocket digital camera, no one said a thing about that but now that you see it going on a lot with cell phones all of a sudden people are griping about it (when it's none of their business anyway)
I am shocked you cannot figure this stuff out on your own....it's b/c everyone and I mean everyone is using their phones now adays and it irritates a lot of people, be it taking those stupid selfies. I cannot believe when I log onto FB, how many people are constantly changing their timeline photos taking pictures of themselves and posting them, are they sick? I mean talk about narcissistic? Good God? They are in love with themselves.

Quote:
(4) Posts such as "dear mom on your iPhone while your kid is playing," I have NEVER read such drivel when a mom, say, is reading her book at the park while "ignoring her kid."
that has nothing to do with you or me or this subject.

Quote:
(5) Someone told me of how they use their phone to take notes for doing their work, and people will give them hard stares of clear disapproval and sometimes even make comments. If he takes notes with a pen and paper, they say nothing.
It depends on where they are, is it dark out, b/c the light from cell phones can be very annoying if it's dark?

Quote:
(6) I'm told in California you can be pulled over for using your phone's GPS, but if you are using a stand-alone GPS or a paper map it's OK.
well, you may have been told that, but my son is a cop, and I find that very hard to believe, chances are, the cop thought they were on the cell phone, and maybe the person used that as an excuse.

Quote:
(7) Comments I've read where people are poking fun at the "idiots" on their Bluetooth and how "stupid they look," never mind that such allows a person to work around the very things you oppose--taking a long time to answer the phone and shouting. I've used them, and people can hear me much more clearly thus allowing me to talk at a lower volume, and I can more quickly answer, and this also helps make driving safer (I don't care what studies try to say it's still dangerous, I'm not buying it, just more bigotry) if for no other reason that you're not fumbling around looking for your phone. There you have it--noise isn't an issue, safety isn't an issue, yet people are STILL griping?
yeah well, sometimes people get so annoyed they are complaining about anything and everything? Who knows, but none of these comments of yours make it bigotry...bigotry has nothing to do with phone Etiquette and I believe someone left you the definition of bigotry.

Quote:
So yes, when people gripe about phones and try to make out like there's some difference between talking on the phone vs talking in public, I'm going to automatically be skeptical of that point of view because I've seen enough of this over the years to be really suspicious that they're being anything but a bigot.
well then, you are not listening, b/c you do it, and you have to justify in your own mind, why it's ok to do.
and you don't give one iotta who it bothers, your doing it and that's it, and so you create a word for all those who are against it, and you call it bigotry.

Quote:
Look, I agree that even if this bigotry, which I think it is, it's certainly not anywhere near the same degree as significant as what African-Americans had to endure in the past (and sometimes still do) or a woman being denied a job because she isn't a man. At its heart, though, it's fundamentally the exact same thing.
yes, but the point you seem to be missing is....we're not discussing any of those issues, so, it doesn't matter....mute points....

again, what you refuse absolutely refuse to comprehend is, that it bothers people, period. and nothing anyone says to you is going to matter, b/c apparently you were not taught respect for the space of others when in public and how to act.

that is the bottom line....and you use all of this that you wrote, to justify it in your own mind, and to heck with how everyone else feels about it, your going to do it, period!

Old 01-20-2017, 11:57 AM

There is no argument here regarding that all things in moderation.....meaning

consideration for others....that's what it's all about....

Old 01-20-2017, 01:55 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Talking louder on a cell phone seems to be an almost universal phenomenon. I don't think it's "some" people. I also think it's a universal phenomenon that when you yourself can't hear the other person (which was likely) for whatever reason, we talk louder ourselves. It's hardly conscious, again I think it's automatic, reflexive.

I talk in public if I need to. I'm not going to call to reconnect with an old friend or anything but if I were sitting there and saw the number for my mom's assisted living, or my brother or niece or boss, I'm going to answer. I wouldn't do this in a movie theater, but in a place that's already loud, a loud bar or bowling alley, why not?

Old 01-20-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Talking louder on a cell phone seems to be an almost universal phenomenon. I don't think it's "some" people. I also think it's a universal phenomenon that when you yourself can't hear the other person (which was likely) for whatever reason, we talk louder ourselves. It's hardly conscious, again I think it's automatic, reflexive.

I talk in public if I need to. I'm not going to call to reconnect with an old friend or anything but if I were sitting there and saw the number for my mom's assisted living, or my brother or niece or boss, I'm going to answer. I wouldn't do this in a movie theater, but in a place that's already loud, a loud bar or bowling alley, why not?
Good for you...

No one is disputing that you shouldn't....you use sensible public phone ethics....

Old 01-21-2017, 10:47 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Good for you...

No one is disputing that you shouldn't....you use sensible public phone ethics....
OP seemed to be.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships