Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 05:15 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,828 times

Advertisements

It's a sad thing that people are not being taught common courtesy by parents as children. I remember always being offered a seat when I was pregnant by strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 05:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I ended up serving that day. I remember one prospective juror who had a baby at home and the judge would not let her go. She was breastfeeding and the judge did not care in the least. I felt bad for her. The lawyers on the other hand, did dismiss her.

I've been called several times with varying experiences. Some counties handle it better then others. Some judges are more understanding then others. That particular day was a mess from start to finish.
I was called a second time after the first time, but because I was needed at home to assist my DH who had just had quadruple bypass surgery, I wrote a letter explaining everything, FAXed it in and was released from my commitment. I did not have to appear.

But the day I appeared, about a year earlier, I waited awhile, was called in for awhile, not chosen, and went home. But it was noisy, hard to park, and just a pain. I was hoping not to have to serve on a jury, and I was certainly hoping that if I did, it would not be a long trial.

The worst, I understand is being on a grand jury, which might meet several times a year.

If selected, I of course would serve. But I am not looking forward to the job.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:51 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The worst, I understand is being on a grand jury, which might meet several times a year.

If selected, I of course would serve. But I am not looking forward to the job.
I served on a grand jury. In my county, this meant serving one full day every two weeks, for a period of three months. Fortunately, my employer was completely understanding and gave me time off with pay, no problem at all. One of the days happened to fall during a time when I had already planned on being out of state on vacation. All I had to do was show proof to the court that I had booked the vacation prior to being summoned, and I was excused for that day. (They purposely draw more people than the minimum they need, just for reasons such as this.)

Since the grand jury met first thing in the morning, we got our pick of the prime parking spaces at the courthouse. And we met in a room where there were plenty of seats for everyone.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:01 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
Last year I was in the same situation, jury duty with hundreds in a huge room. There were plenty of seats though. We had a break and when I came back my seat was taken, so I sat elsewhere. I would never even think that I was entitled to that seat again...especially if it was a pregnant woman sitting in it!

Old 01-18-2017, 11:17 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
In retrospect I do wish I would have gotten up. Dramatically grabbing my back and belly and saying, "no, of course, you need this seat more then anyone" and waddled out of the row. It would have been much more fun.

I don't know what the proper etiquette would be in a giant waiting room type of situation would be for seats. That's one thing I'm curious about. About a hundred people got up to get in line and I don't know how many (if any) ended up in the same seat afterwards. I think a lot of people standing jumped in and sat down at that point in any empty seat they could find. We had no idea if we'd be in that room for a few minutes or a few hours so not a lot of patient people.
It's not a game of musical chairs. When in situations like that I plan to go early so that I can get a seat. I do not expect that if at some point I need to leave my seat for a few moments that someone who strolled in at the last minute would feel entitled to take that seat.
Why does it make a difference if someone leaves a coat or purse, maybe it's hot day and there is no coat to leave, maybe I should take my shoes off and put them on the seat? Markers, such as coats or cups on tables, are used in situations when it might not otherwise be obvious that someone had been sitting there. Not the case you describe.
(giving up seats for elderly, pregnant, etc, is another topic entirely)

Last edited by DubbleT; 01-18-2017 at 11:43 AM..

Old 01-18-2017, 03:02 PM

714 posts, read 747,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Stalking me?
Life is not as complicated as so many make it if they would tend to themselves and not what others do or say or wear or save or........
The main question is why do you spend time focusing on something that is in the past, done, over and cannot be changed and why in the world does anyone feel the need for *validation* from someone else.
That is equal to asking someone's permission to do what you already did that cannot be changed.
If the little things mentioned are the biggest worry of your life at the moment you are having a pretty good life yet you spend time complaining and seeking validation from random strangers on a public forum.
Perhaps spending time seeking professional guidance would be a better use of time and validating...
Then, maybe just don't read through the thread if you don't approve of it? You're not gonna change anyone by questioning the validity of CD posts. I see some threads as stupid, so I just don't open them.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:41 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
I had a guy try to save a seat for him and his kid at an ice cream stand in the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia.
Bassett's ice cream is set up with six seats at the counter, to the left of where you pick up your ice cream. It's first come first serve after you get your ice cream.
Anyway, I get my ice cream cone, turn to the left towards the counter and see a couple of empty seats around the side of the counter ... I walk around and there's a dirty paper plate and an empty Dixie cup on two of the seats. Hmmm ... I remove the trash and grab a seat to people watch. A couple of minutes later some **** with his kid comes barging over saying "We were holding those seats!" I reply "There's no holding seats here - first one here gets them!" he says "I'm with my kid!" I point to the empty next to me and tell him "There's a seat there for your kid." He wound up getting a seat, but boy, was he p*ssy looking. Entitled jerk.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:52 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Last year I was in the same situation, jury duty with hundreds in a huge room. There were plenty of seats though. We had a break and when I came back my seat was taken, so I sat elsewhere. I would never even think that I was entitled to that seat again...especially if it was a pregnant woman sitting in it!
This is exactly how I felt. I got up to get my letter and it never occurred to me that I should have that seat back. In fact the first thought I had when they made the announcement about getting the letter was, "ugh, I'm going to lose my seat, I hope I can find another one"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's not a game of musical chairs. When in situations like that I plan to go early so that I can get a seat. I do not expect that if at some point I need to leave my seat for a few moments that someone who strolled in at the last minute would feel entitled to take that seat.
Why does it make a difference if someone leaves a coat or purse, maybe it's hot day and there is no coat to leave, maybe I should take my shoes off and put them on the seat? Markers, such as coats or cups on tables, are used in situations when it might not otherwise be obvious that someone had been sitting there. Not the case you describe.
(giving up seats for elderly, pregnant, etc, is another topic entirely)
I don't understand why in a very large public waiting room, you would feel that you were entitled to have the same seat assigned to yourself the entire time, just because you sat in it first, while others are standing. In my view if you get up to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water or to stand in line at the desk and wait for your paper, you lose the seat.

I was even at the dentist the other day and got up to speak to the receptionist and lost my seat. Again, didn't occur to me that that seat was mine, I just sat somewhere else.

Obviously people have very different viewpoints on seat saving. Not trying to convince you of my way but I truly can't relate to your way of thinking.

Thus the conflict will continue.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:24 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
I was even at the dentist the other day and got up to speak to the receptionist and lost my seat.
The difference being that the person who took your seat at the dentist likely had no idea you had been sitting there, probably several open seats available? Entirely different than being in a closed room with more people than seats and some late comer that had been standing sat and knowingly deprived someone of the seat they'd had. Basically the equivalent of line cutting.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:26 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
This is exactly how I felt. I got up to get my letter and it never occurred to me that I should have that seat back. In fact the first thought I had when they made the announcement about getting the letter was, "ugh, I'm going to lose my seat, I hope I can find another one"

I don't understand why in a very large public waiting room, you would feel that you were entitled to have the same seat assigned to yourself the entire time, just because you sat in it first, while others are standing. In my view if you get up to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water or to stand in line at the desk and wait for your paper, you lose the seat.

I was even at the dentist the other day and got up to speak to the receptionist and lost my seat. Again, didn't occur to me that that seat was mine, I just sat somewhere else.

Obviously people have very different viewpoints on seat saving. Not trying to convince you of my way but I truly can't relate to your way of thinking.

Thus the conflict will continue.

But in those instances, was someone else saving your seat? I think that is the thing I'm most confused about. If I went to sit down and someone told me someone was already sitting there, I would find a different seat. It just seems rude to know that someone is sitting there and sit there anyway. Before sitting down somewhere crowded like that, I always ask if someone else is sitting there. I don't automatically assume that I'm entitled to that seat just because the other left their seat for a few minutes.

If you go to the movies with a friend and they get up before the movie starts to use the restroom or get a drink of water, would you save their seat? Or would you let someone else take that seat? After all, most movie seating is first come, first serve, so it seems like saving seats in a movie theater would also be wrong to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships