Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 05:41 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,586,777 times

Advertisements

If you really want to end your relationship, I'd go for the Niagara Falls job and sell the house. Things could be worse. Your son and his daughter might start getting it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 07:24 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
What is this interesting job track of yours that takes you to a completely different part of the country every year, with continuous upward mobility with each move, and early retirement?!?!

And get that NYC job, sell the house and GO!!!!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:45 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Win, win....You take the job in Niagra Falls, you sell the house to your boyfriend, reducing the price to account for his rebuilding work...and you pay rent to your boyfriend for you son to complete his courses.

Your boyfriend lets his daughter live there. You have your son move up to where you have relocated as soon as he is finished with his courses.

Otherwise: you give your boyfriend notice to move out....He takes his daughter and finds someplace else to live, with the amount that you pay him for his work investment in your property.

Your son lives in your home, you commute to and from NYC. Your son gets a job locally and lives with you and takes care of your home while you are away.

It all boils down to what you want in the end, because it sounds like you are holding all the cards.
Sounds like a plan to me!

Old 01-17-2017, 05:44 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
The thought of my son and her.... #shudder# That's a whole nother issue. I Don't trust her not to... well it will drive her insane r if he isn't interested in her.
I'm willing to seek serious counseling with him. I want to allow her the 6 weeks to get into that program. Her mother's house is very unhealthy for her and has been identified by her therapists as a trigger for her problematic behavior. I do care about her. I just can't live under the same roof.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:01 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I found out last night there is no facility and she plans to just live here. Um...no. That's when it all came to a head. The relationship was already deteriorated and that just blew it to bits.
Did he know about this and hid it from you? Or did the daughter lie to both of you?

Old 01-17-2017, 09:34 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
No advice (yet; have only had 1 cup of coffee) just wanted to extend my sympathy.

I feel like blended families are way harder than in reality, although some people make it look easy. For whatever reason I'm just not good enough to pull it off very well.

It's just really hard. The upside is that you are financially viable & not stuck. You are the "I can" in the dynamic vs the "I can't".

This is not accepted theory it's just my own observation of power in relationships. And it sounds like he "still can" just not as well as you!

Old 01-17-2017, 10:04 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Did he know about this and hid it from you? Or did the daughter lie to both of you?
I'm not sure. When i agreed to 6 weeks he may not have presented it to her the way it was intended.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:17 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm not sure. When i agreed to 6 weeks he may not have presented it to her the way it was intended.
I think this part is important. If he's lying to you, that's an issue.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
I would honestly say no to the daughter. She's an adult who has a lot of issues. She needs to take care of herself. You won't be there several days a week. All hell could break lose. At the end of those 6 weeks, getting her out will NOT be easy. She's now a tenant whom you would have to evict. Sounds like a mess just waiting to happen.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:29 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Being in recovery and lying about stuff like that is a massive red flag.

She is still using and dad knows this.

Have her tested and if she fails, remove her from the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships