Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 10:20 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I guess it would depend on the house. If it was some spectacular beautiful vintage home restored and decorated to the nine's, then yes, I would be disappointed if I couldn't see all of it. If it's an average home, then no, I wouldn't care to see the whole thing. We always give a complete tour of our house up to the cool walk up attic to who ever wants to see it. It's a beautiful old house complete with a quirky old door in the upstairs bedroom that leads to the roof. Everybody loves the creepy walk up attic and you have to go through our bedroom to get to it. Might as well see the whole upstairs while you're passing through.
In this case, I would expect to show the house. Not only would I be disappointed not to see it, if I were a guest. I'd be disappointed not to show it after carefully restoring it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 10:33 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I had a friend who came in for the first time and just walked around, very determined, and looked in every room. I thought it was incredibly rude. I've made a point to never ask him back.
I had a friend who did that. She'd been to my place before, but once when just dropping by briefly, she almost physically pushed past me and nosed around all the rooms. It was creepy. I realized at that point that she had always compared herself to me, and was keeping tabs on what I was doing with my place. Very off-putting. It was the last time I had her over for any reason. For other reasons as well, I let the friendship lapse when I moved out of town.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-17-2017 at 11:03 AM..

Old 01-17-2017, 10:38 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Personally, I'm a very private person. I do not like anyone in the bedroom area of the house unless it's their bedroom or they live there. I would be very offended and upset if someone just went randomly walking through my home into the private areas such as laundry, baths, bedrooms, etc. I have an art studio in my home and I do NOT like when people enter it and start poking around. There have been people who open the door and start roaming about. Not cool! Those people aren't invited back.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:51 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I DO think this is a regional thing, though.

I wouldn't think you need an invitation to walk down a hall, and I would not give someone looking into my laundry room a second thought.
Yikes! Unless they came to do your laundry, why are they looking into your laundry room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Regional thing???
I would resent someone wandering down a hall and looking into any part of my home uninvited.
I agree.

I was just thinking about several of my old friends, people who I have visited several times a year or even once a month for decades. In a couple of cases, I have never, even once seen their upstairs bedrooms or master bedroom and they have not seen mine, either.

Now, if you move into a new house, or have done extensive renovations, most/many people would expect a tour the first time that you are invited to visit the new/renovated house or to a housewarming party but I don't think that anyone should be angry if the hosts do not offer a tour of the whole place.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:14 AM

22,567 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Yikes! Unless they came to do your laundry, why are they looking into your laundry room?
In my area, a powder room is very often either beside the first floor laundry room or actually a part of it.
So.... looking into the laundry room in search of the toilet is no big deal.

I don't have a first floor laundry room; mine is in the walkout basement and is also a storage room for our patio /outdoor entertaining supplies.
Friends go into my laundry room to get plates, wine glasses, chair cushions, and other things that would be used on the outdoor patio.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:25 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
In my area, a powder room is very often either beside the first floor laundry room or actually a part of it.
Well, you know, most guests don't have to wander all over the house looking for the bathroom. They ask politely where it is. They don't go on a quest, as if in search of treasure, like an Easter egg hunt.

It's nice to be so relaxed about people wandering around your house (you actually sound kind of fun ), but some people aren't comfortable with it. Some may be self-conscious about disarray in one area of the house, or whatever. Observing conventional courtesies is for that type of situation. Unless the homeowner says, "Make yourself at home", or "Mi casa es su casa", it's inappropriate for a guest to presume it's ok to wander around as if s/he owns the place.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:30 AM

780 posts, read 678,295 times
You guys aren't really friends to begin with.

1. You don't have to do anything you don't want to, especially in your own home. If you didn't want to give a tour, then don't. If you guys were real friends, they'd be respectful enough to understand the boundaries and not be mad over it.

2. If they really wanted to see your place, they should have just asked. They get a yes or no answer and that's that. No one should take offense in being asked and being rejected if the home owner says no.

3. If you guys were real friends, they shouldn't be mad that you guys didn't give them a tour. If it was that big of a deal to them to see it, again, they should have just asked.

Personally, I enjoy giving tours of my place to who ever enters my place. That said...I don't invite just anyone. I only those who I'm comfortable enough to see my entire space. So...it was either they see everything or none at all lol.

But ya, I guess you guys are more like acquaintances than real friends. Friends should be able to communicate their thoughts, not talk about you on what you should/shouldn't have done.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:31 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Quote:

I don't have a first floor laundry room; mine is in the walkout basement and is also a storage room for our patio /outdoor entertaining supplies.
Friends go into my laundry room to get plates, wine glasses, chair cushions, and other things that would be used on the outdoor patio.
Oh, that explains it.

In my area, I don't know anyone whose powder room is actually inside their laundry room. But I do know people whose powder room is near their laundry room.

And, I also do not know anyone who stores plates, wine glasses, etc. in their laundry rooms, but if you do then I can see why you are not surprised by people being in there.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-17-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-17-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, you know, most guests don't have to wander all over the house looking for the bathroom. They ask politely where it is.
Right.
And if they ask, and you say, "Just past the laundry room"...
they would probably look in the laundry room!

Old 01-17-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
And, I also do not know anyone who stores plates, wine glasses, etc. in their laundry rooms.
I guess you do now!

It is a large, finished, storage room with cabinets, countertops, and a sink, that also happen to have the washer and dryer in it.
It works quite well for entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships