Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 12,089 times

Advertisements

hi, i'm not really sure where else to talk about this without being hardcore judged lol so i thought i'd like make an account on one of these forums online and ask people who don't know me for an unbiased general opinion, it's easier that way; anyway yeah i mean i'm totally on board with this whole LGBT thing, i mean i don't care if you're gay or a lesbian or i guess bi, tbh in my opinion bisexuality isn't really a legit sexuality, it's mostly just a bunch of people too lazy to make up their minds but whatever that's just me, i mean i have no problem with it, but i'm just saying, pick a gender.

what does sort of make me uncomfortable though is the whole transgender thing, where i live people are mostly really liberal and i do have a few trans people in my school and it just kinda irks me not gonna lie, i mean i am so not homophobic but it makes me uneasy seeing a trans person and being near them and stuff, i really can't get why someone would want to go against nature and change their gender like it's just so wrong and i feel like transgenderism is just such a snowflake syndrome, and like just the fact they demand everyone to be totally on board and okay with it annoys me so much, i know this won't come off right but maybe i don't want some guy using the same bathroom as me just because they randomly decided to turn into a girl? just suck it up and embrace the gender you were born in, if you wanna dress more tomboyish or if you wanna dress more girly that's fine lol but don't change your identity and start calling yourself a "man" or a "woman" when you're actually not. And also this whole "Caitlyn Jenner" thing has made everything so much worse, she's a horrible example and i can't believe so many kids my age look up to her, she's just such a negative influence and honestly a lot of this is technically her fault.

i'm mostly liberal, i mean my parents are hardcore democrats and the environment i'm in is for the most part liberal so like don't think i'm some narrow minded redneck or whatever because i'm not, i support gay and lesbian rights, i totally do. it's just transgender people that really bother me and annoy me and i just idk, i mean does this make me horrible and disgusting, because everyone around me is all like "you HAVE to support transgender rights, if you don't you're a shameful disgusting trump-supporter" and it makes me feel so guilty for having the views i do but i really can't help it, transgenderism is just not something i'm comfortable with. And also omfg those snowflake genders like "skoliosexual" and "straight ally" and "lipstick lesbian"and "gender binary" i mean what total bs, this isn't a birthday party that you have to invite the whole class to. christ i'm annoyed, but i feel guilty for BEING annoyed, if you get me. I just feel like it's horrible of me.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:02 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
Why do you care? Why do you need to be comfortable? It doesn't have anything to do with you. No one is asking you to change your gender. Be what you want to be. Leave other people alone. How are you being harmed?

It's no different from having to associate in a professional or social setting with someone whose personality you don't care for. In those situations, mature people are able to exchange the necessary civilities without creating a scene, then remove themselves to interact with others. It is the immature, self-absorbed, drama queens who become distraught or hysterical when they find themselves in the presence of someone they don't like. Just be a grown-up. Let people be what they are. If it makes you uncomfortable, find someone else to talk to. It's not about you.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Imagine that you have spent your entire life as a male, but inside you know yourself to be female, even though you have the equipment of a male. The feeling you would have would be called dissonance. You would be forcing yourself to "be" what you seem to be, even though you know you know yourself to be female. There is a physical cause for this; it has been identified.

People who have this inner conflict are never happy. They know themselves to be something they do not seem to be.

When people have had these strong feelings, in the past, they have had severe emotional problems. They have had to find secret ways to be themselves, and these secret ways were often illegal or considered evil.

Sometimes nature messes up. Your discomfort is your problem. Try to see how agonizing it must be to live a lie all the time. And how freeing to find out that there is a path to become what your mind and feelings tell you you truly are.

This is called empathy, by the way. It is the ability imagine the sorrows of others and from that to understand them, at least to some degree.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:29 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suze.fordaisies View Post
hi, i'm not really sure where else to talk about this without being hardcore judged lol so i thought i'd like make an account on one of these forums online and ask people who don't know me for an unbiased general opinion, it's easier that way; anyway yeah i mean i'm totally on board with this whole LGBT thing, i mean i don't care if you're gay or a lesbian or i guess bi, tbh in my opinion bisexuality isn't really a legit sexuality, it's mostly just a bunch of people too lazy to make up their minds but whatever that's just me, i mean i have no problem with it, but i'm just saying, pick a gender.
ROFL. It's actually people who find themselves attracted to both sexes. I don't get why that's so huge for you to grasp that your mind wanders off to "laziness". I mean, WHAT? That isn't even relevant. Anyway, nobody cares if you have a problem with it or not. Your opinion is of no consequence whatsoever, except maybe if you find yourself dating a bi person, in which case, you should distance yourself.

Quote:
what does sort of make me uncomfortable though is the whole transgender thing, where i live people are mostly really liberal and i do have a few trans people in my school and it just kinda irks me not gonna lie, i mean i am so not homophobic but it makes me uneasy seeing a trans person and being near them and stuff, i really can't get why someone would want to go against nature and change their gender like it's just so wrong and i feel like transgenderism is just such a snowflake syndrome, and like just the fact they demand everyone to be totally on board and okay with it annoys me so much, i know this won't come off right but maybe i don't want some guy using the same bathroom as me just because they randomly decided to turn into a girl? just suck it up and embrace the gender you were born in, if you wanna dress more tomboyish or if you wanna dress more girly that's fine lol but don't change your identity and start calling yourself a "man" or a "woman" when you're actually not. And also this whole "Caitlyn Jenner" thing has made everything so much worse, she's a horrible example and i can't believe so many kids my age look up to her, she's just such a negative influence and honestly a lot of this is technically her fault.

i'm mostly liberal, i mean my parents are hardcore democrats and the environment i'm in is for the most part liberal so like don't think i'm some narrow minded redneck or whatever because i'm not, i support gay and lesbian rights, i totally do. it's just transgender people that really bother me and annoy me and i just idk, i mean does this make me horrible and disgusting, because everyone around me is all like "you HAVE to support transgender rights, if you don't you're a shameful disgusting trump-supporter" and it makes me feel so guilty for having the views i do but i really can't help it, transgenderism is just not something i'm comfortable with. And also omfg those snowflake genders like "skoliosexual" and "straight ally" and "lipstick lesbian"and "gender binary" i mean what total bs, this isn't a birthday party that you have to invite the whole class to. christ i'm annoyed, but i feel guilty for BEING annoyed, if you get me. I just feel like it's horrible of me.
You are pretty young, it's obvious, so while it's great that you are beginning to attempt to do some thinking, it's also obvious that you need some more exposure to other people and the world in general before you sweep everyone into a box that you built based on your limited knowledge and experience.

A start might be to ask YOURSELF why you feel that way. You might be disturbed by the idea of a trans person because it's something you cannot relate to AT ALL, but there are going to be lots of other types of people in life that you can't relate to at all because of reasons other than their sexuality, and you are going to have to find a place within yourself where you can accept them as they are even if you cannot relate to them.

For example, I can't relate much to transgender people, but I know some, and to me they are just people. I don't feel strongly about their sexuality other than some wonder at how they must have felt inside when they realized they weren't who they appeared to be physically. But it doesn't matter to me one way or another, really. So, the first question you might want to ask yourself is why do you react so strongly to this topic? That's something only you can answer, of course, and it might take time for you to come up with the answer.

You are entitled to your opinions, but you appear very judgmental toward others, and that might get in your way as you go out into the world. Something to be careful about. Monitor your feelings and put them aside if they serve no purpose except to feed your own ego.

As an example, when I first read your post, my initial reaction was one of disgust for our educational system and/or the idiocy of teenagers because of your silly "omfgs" and "idks" and run-on sentences. I remember being young and girls wrote like that without capital letters and punctuation because they thought it made them look oh-so-cutesy and that looking dumb was cool, just as you probably do. It annoyed me then, too.

But you know what? I put that aside, because I know that the way your write iis probably either a matter of immaturity, which is common to kids your age, or a poor education, which unfortunately is common in our country, and I went ahead and read your post despite the annoyance. You can do the same with transgender people. How many, if any, have you ever actually met anyway? Are there transgender people in your life, or is this all just hypothetical based on what you read on the Internet?

At any rate, grow up, and learn to take people as individuals, one at a time, rather than tossing them into categories or calling them names like snowflakes, and if you can, put your annoyances aside so that you can stretch your mind and become a smarter, better person.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:36 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
it's just transgender people that really bother me and annoy me and i just idk, i mean does this make me horrible and disgusting, because everyone around me is all like "you HAVE to support transgender rights, if you don't you're a shameful disgusting trump-supporter" and it makes me feel so guilty for having the views i do but i really can't help it, transgenderism is just not something i'm comfortable with.
This is where it's easier to be a Trump supporter, like I am: I'm ALLOWED -- nay, EXPECTED -- to have such retrograde views!

Leaving aside my own personal feelings about transgenderism (is that a real word?), my main issue is having it "forced" upon me through allowing biological males use women's bathrooms (and vice versa) based on how they "identify." I resent having my privacy violated in this fashion, and I resent whatever activist group it is that seems intent on foisting this on the rest of us.

I do try to be empathetic to the discomfort that a transgendered person might feel upon entering the "wrong" bathroom. But why does the discomfort of a teeny-tiny segment of the population outweigh the discomfort of the vast majority of people who identify with the gender that corresponds with their biological equipment?

Old 01-17-2017, 02:37 PM

711 posts, read 687,885 times
There are a couple of really amazing responses here. Thank you!

To the OP: I'd also suggest to back away from social media regarding this issue. Back away from names and terms and who anyone else might idolize or detest. I too commend you for thinking about this issue. It can be challenging but think and talk to people outside your general circle of reference. Ask questions without throwing down challenges (I'm not saying you're doing that - just reminding you to keep an open mind). Read something that isn't social media. Honestly the book that came to mind is Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:47 PM

714 posts, read 747,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
This is where it's easier to be a Trump supporter, like I am: I'm ALLOWED -- nay, EXPECTED -- to have such retrograde views!

Leaving aside my own personal feelings about transgenderism (is that a real word?), my main issue is having it "forced" upon me through allowing biological males use women's bathrooms (and vice versa) based on how they "identify." I resent having my privacy violated in this fashion, and I resent whatever activist group it is that seems intent on foisting this on the rest of us.

I do try to be empathetic to the discomfort that a transgendered person might feel upon entering the "wrong" bathroom. But why does the discomfort of a teeny-tiny segment of the population outweigh the discomfort of the vast majority of people who identify with the gender that corresponds with their biological equipment?
This has never been an issue for you. You're making it up just like the GOP did.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

The thing with the bathrooms really annoys me as well you have no idea, like you're forcing this whole thing onto someone else and that's not okay. Like you said it's a total violation of privacy. Literally agree. The only topic I'll ever agree with Ben Carson on.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's actually people who find themselves attracted to both sexes. I don't get why that's so huge for you to grasp that your mind wanders off to "laziness". I mean, WHAT?

As an example, when I first read your post, my initial reaction was one of disgust for our educational system and/or the idiocy of teenagers because of your silly "omfgs" and "idks" and run-on sentences. I remember being young and girls wrote like that without capital letters and punctuation because they thought it made them look oh-so-cutesy and that looking dumb was cool, just as you probably do. It annoyed me then, too.

But you know what? I put that aside, because I know that the way your write is probably either a matter of immaturity, which is common to kids your age, or a poor education, which unfortunately is common in our country, and I went ahead and read your post despite the annoyance. You can do the same with transgender people. How many, if any, have you ever actually met anyway? Are there transgender people in your life, or is this all just hypothetical based on what you read on the Internet?

At any rate, grow up, and learn to take people as individuals, one at a time, rather than tossing them into categories or calling them names like snowflakes, and if you can, put your annoyances aside so that you can stretch your mind and become a smarter, better person.

Look about the bi thing I personally just think they're too lazy to make up their minds, like they can't be bothered to put themselves in a box so they just say "I'm bi". It's just my opinion though. And about the whole grammar thing that's just the way I type online because I can't really be bothered to put effort into it by like adding punctuation and stuff, I do it for school for the most part but online i'm too lazy, you've made me more self aware about it though lol i must say
But to be honest you can't really compare someone changing their entire identity and gender and sometimes even switching up their genitals to someone's sloppy way of writing, they're two completely different things and you sometimes can't just overlook trans people and put them aside when this whole trans movement is shoved in your face. I live in San Jose in the bay area and here most people are really liberal towards these kinds of matters and so i have quite a few trans kids at my school or at least wannabe trans kids idk. If I went ahead and said like "oh, I don't support transgender people" I'd be judged and everyone would start cursing me out for it. In my close circle of friends and acquaintances, no there aren't any trans people but like in my general environment I am surrounded by a few, so.
I know I should get over it but I can't explain it, it just really bothers me. And the fact you're somehow forced by society to accept it is even more annoying.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:20 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
There are things I don't like about myself, some of which have caused me significant emotional turmoil in life. I can understand wanting to change oneself in a significant way. But when I think about my own life and the struggles I've faced I feel like I don't deserve special treatment from society. What makes feeling like another gender something that deserves special treatment? Gender is a very significant part of identity for most of us. I can see why it would be significant to the individual. It is also significant to society as a whole. I think transgender individuals are asking a lot of society by asking us to accept them as another gender.

I try not to be bothered with things that don't affect me and this is one of those things most of the time. I don't understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships