Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 11:25 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times

Advertisements

It was a long time coming. I've known this friend for a long time (more than 3 years). It is a painful thing, but to be honest, it was a long time coming. She has done and said things to hurt me, and I have done the same to her. So we've decided that perhaps it was better we go our separate ways.

I do miss her already. But all I can do is look at all I have done wrong, learn from it, and take what I have learned to the next friendship. At the same time, I did consider her a close friend so I am likely going to need a break from the usual activities.

I figure what I can do from this point is just get a change of scenery and go from there.

I do admit that I wasn't the best friend to her and I regret a lot of things I have said throughout the friendship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 11:29 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
You live and learn. It will be hard at first but you will get on just fine. Use this experience to make your future friendships better.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You live and learn. It will be hard at first but you will get on just fine. Use this experience to make your future friendships better.
Yeah, that's life.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:48 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
It was a long time coming. I've known this friend for a long time (more than 3 years). It is a painful thing, but to be honest, it was a long time coming. She has done and said things to hurt me, and I have done the same to her. So we've decided that perhaps it was better we go our separate ways.

I do miss her already. But all I can do is look at all I have done wrong, learn from it, and take what I have learned to the next friendship. At the same time, I did consider her a close friend so I am likely going to need a break from the usual activities.

I figure what I can do from this point is just get a change of scenery and go from there.

I do admit that I wasn't the best friend to her and I regret a lot of things I have said throughout the friendship.
Hopefully, this will help you with relationships in the future. Some people really do not know how a good a friend can be until they are gone.

I lost my best friend because she was married, and we were too close. We had to split before our relationship became something it shouldn't. It has been 4 years now and I still miss her. I don't envy anyone who has lost a TRUE friend.

Maybe after some time you can approach her again, atone for your mistakes, tell her how much she meant to you, and try again.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:19 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Well, if you were both doing the hurting than what did you expect. Sounds totally unhealthy to me. Hopefully, lesson learned for future relationships.

And if you were both hurting each other... just what in the world are you missing? Although, you can certainly miss unhealthy relationships. You need to reprogram your thinking.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Well, if you were both doing the hurting than what did you expect. Sounds totally unhealthy to me. Hopefully, lesson learned for future relationships.

And if you were both hurting each other... just what in the world are you missing? Although, you can certainly miss unhealthy relationships. You need to reprogram your thinking.
What do you expect? It's been a rather long history so I am going to miss something. While it was unhealthy, it wasn't the worst. So of course I'm gonna miss some parts of the relationship. I'm not a sociopath so you're gonna have to forgive me for that.

And I've already said that I am going to look at what I did wrong and take the lesson's I've learned. And I am going to "reprogram my thinking". Also, since I have the space to look at things as they were, I could do that and like I said move forward.

It's not like from beginning to the end all we did was hurt each other. There was also some good times. It is just getting towards the end, things got messed up and we decided that it was needed to perhaps back away from each other.

So if you can walk away from a friendship with no feelings, more power to you. I on the other hand actually care about my friends.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
What do you expect? It's been a rather long history so I am going to miss something. While it was unhealthy, it wasn't the worst. So of course I'm gonna miss some parts of the relationship. I'm not a sociopath so you're gonna have to forgive me for that.

And I've already said that I am going to look at what I did wrong and take the lesson's I've learned. And I am going to "reprogram my thinking". Also, since I have the space to look at things as they were, I could do that and like I said move forward.

It's not like from beginning to the end all we did was hurt each other. There was also some good times. It is just getting towards the end, things got messed up and we decided that it was needed to perhaps back away from each other.

So if you can walk away from a friendship with no feelings, more power to you. I on the other hand actually care about my friends.

Sorry this happened, but people end friendships that go on for 20 years or more. Sometimes due to a falling out, sometimes one realizes the friendship has become a one way street.

You didn't give a lot of detail but some people throw the word friend around too freely, especially these days.

Sounds like there may have been some toxic stuff going on, all you can do is learn from it and when you meet new people make sure they don't have the same issues before getting too chummy.

It does hurt, but making the decision and moving forward will make you feel better in time.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:55 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post

That's what I'm saying also, I totally agree. Absolutely sounded like a very unhealthy, and toxic friendship. With friends like that, who need enemies . Your enemy disguised as your friend is your FRENEMY, and you two were too much alike. And three years is not really a long time when it comes to knowing somebody.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:26 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
It sounds like you are kind of young. My feeling is, if you care about that peron & can salvage the relationship, try it. Real friends ,which by my definition, are people who are there for you in your lowest times in life...anything else is merely an acquaintance. Also, the older you get, the harder it becomes to make real friends, or even superficial relationships.

I lost my friend of over 50 years & that relationship is ruined beyond repair. This happened not long after my only sibling died. Life has been darker for me because of this. People need real friends.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:44 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
It sounds like you are kind of young. My feeling is, if you care about that peron & can salvage the relationship, try it. Real friends ,which by my definition, are people who are there for you in your lowest times in life...anything else is merely an acquaintance. Also, the older you get, the harder it becomes to make real friends, or even superficial relationships.

I lost my friend of over 50 years & that relationship is ruined beyond repair. This happened not long after my only sibling died. Life has been darker for me because of this. People need real friends.

God bless you. Things will get better for you, just hang in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships