Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 11:29 AM

288 posts, read 200,850 times

Advertisements

I have previously worked at organisations which the CEO's have always smiled and said hello. The new place I am at now I have tried to smile and say hello to the CEO but get ignored. I felt surprised but have since observed that he does this to colleagues who have worked there for years which they just smile as they go past and not say anything. Could he be being arrogant and thinks he is above everyone? He is making me feel uncomfortable now as I have to pretend I am busy or not seen him when he goes past and I shouldn't feel like this. I am not used to this kind of rudeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 05:14 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
It isn't rudeness. Follow the lead of the other employees, smile, and go about your work. If the CEO ever has reason to learn your name, he will.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
It is a different work culture. Just go with the flow here. Don't take the actions of a distant CEO personally.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:47 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
I'm surprised the body guards let you that close to even see or hear you. I never got close to Jack welch when I worked for him.

Or is this some small place where people like titles?

Old 02-06-2017, 10:53 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace84 View Post
I have previously worked at organisations which the CEO's have always smiled and said hello. The new place I am at now I have tried to smile and say hello to the CEO but get ignored. I felt surprised but have since observed that he does this to colleagues who have worked there for years which they just smile as they go past and not say anything. Could he be being arrogant and thinks he is above everyone? He is making me feel uncomfortable now as I have to pretend I am busy or not seen him when he goes past and I shouldn't feel like this. I am not used to this kind of rudeness.
Well march into his office and tell him the way he treats his employees is wrong you expect hello every morning, a pat on the back every afternoon, and a big hug before you leave for the day.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:58 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
They often have extremely stressful jobs and don't have time or desire to talk to everyone they encounter in the office. I think it's completely normal.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:26 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace84 View Post
How about you trying to the best at your job and get some recognition that way?

You keep it up(I can see you badmouthing him to a coworker about how you find him arrogant) and you won't have to worry about the work environment there too much longer.

He isn't making you feel uncomfortable, you did this to yourself.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:57 PM

772 posts, read 913,286 times
next time your walking towards the CEO, give him the old "stiff shoulder" ..

not sure if your familiar with it, its where you walk close enough, that your shoulder is going to hit his. but you brace yourself, and don't budge, potentially knocking him back a foot or two..

We did it in middle school, to people that we were "battling" with. you seem about that maturity level, so go on, give it a try ...

Old 02-07-2017, 09:53 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It isn't rudeness. Follow the lead of the other employees, smile, and go about your work. If the CEO ever has reason to learn your name, he will.
I agree. Stop personalizing, especially since you now know this is his normal demeanor. Don't talk about his to your co-workers, never bite the hand that feeds you.

Why would you have to pretend to be busy?.....You are getting paid to work....so work.

If this is otherwise a decent job, why do you care if the head guy personally greets you? If he has this type personality, be thankful for your anonymity.

Last edited by JanND; 02-07-2017 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: eidt words

Old 02-07-2017, 10:12 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
They often have extremely stressful jobs and don't have time or desire to talk to everyone they encounter in the office. I think it's completely normal.
Exactly

Our senior director is the global head. Even before he was promoted to global head and was our managing director, his position is extremely stressful and he now is responsible for about 1000 people, if not more (not even exaggerating). He knows who he needs to know, whether it's for something good or bad. I can tell just by glancing at him (when he's in the office) if I should say hello or not. It's not rude and it doesn't make me feel any less important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships