Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:34 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times

Advertisements

My ex-BF used to ask me if he could pay for something I was already buying for myself -- one Christmas, it was a red Coach purse, another it was a diamond pendant. That was fine with me!

I'm thinking that maybe young people don't care about perfume anymore? I line-dance with a LOT of young women and I have never smelled perfume on any of them.

I was chuckling about some of the foolproof gifts that others have mentioned. Dark chocolate? Don't like it. CD? Don't play them. Etc. Just goes to show how there's probably nothing that's foolproof, unless the person has specifically asked for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 10:42 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post
i've started to give perfumes (safe perfumes that almost everyone likes, or if i know the person well, something i know they will like). Of course, given that they like to wear perfume and not allergic to it, perfume is the best gift because even if they don't love it, they will still like it enough to wear it. You also don't have to worry about size or anything like that. It's much much easier finding a perfume someone will like than finding a hat,shirt,pant,dress that they will like and not feel compelled to return or give away. Thoughts? What are other gifts that are "fool-proof"? Some other examples i can think of are skincare and nail polishes.
If you were speaking of colognes I'd say, "Sure, anything not too strong. When I get a cologne that's not something I particularly like; it's what I use when I'm just wanting to hide my stink until I can get to a shower (ie. doing heavy/laborious work/exercise away from home and/or shower).

Oh, except for that fancy designer cologne in the black glass bottle that smells like a road-kill skunk that someone poured moth balls over. I don't remember its name but I still wonder what horrible thing I did to the giver that justified such a passive-aggressive gesture.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:56 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,993,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
Oh, except for that fancy designer cologne in the black glass bottle that smells like a road-kill skunk that someone poured moth balls over. I don't remember its name but I still wonder what horrible thing I did to the giver that justified such a passive-aggressive gesture.
Hahaha. I believe that hideous potion de diablo is Drakkar Noir. One ex-bf used to wear it & every time he came near me I wanted to toss garlic his way with a crucifix & quickly climb a tree. That & Aramis should be called Babe Repellent.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:20 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post

Perfect way to describe Drakkar Noir! I call it Black Death......death actually smells better.....scary as that may be!

Old 02-09-2017, 03:12 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Perfume or cologne as a gift? Not so much foolproof as foolish. Not something I want from anyone, ever. And most comments above bear this feeling out.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:47 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Hahaha. I believe that hideous potion de diablo is Drakkar Noir. One ex-bf used to wear it & every time he came near me I wanted to toss garlic his way with a crucifix & quickly climb a tree. That & Aramis should be called Babe Repellent.
I liked Aramis. But my husband used cologne very lightly. As how I put on cologne. 3 spritzes in the air at head level, wait a second, and step into it at around chest level. The only thing I spray on is Jean Nate. It fades really quickly. Even then, one spray on the wrist, join wrists, tap wrists on neck.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:09 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Perfect way to describe Drakkar Noir! I call it Black Death......death actually smells better.....scary as that may be!
Thank you both, yes, I believe it *was* Drakkar Noir! I should have remembered it. I'm mostly Swedish, by genes, and "drakkar" is French for "Viking longboat" which were common to have a drake (dragon) figurehead on the bow...hence why a Viking longboat would be called a drakkar. Everyone knows noir is French for black.

Apparently, Drakkar Noir is an interpretation of the black cloud of stench that accompanies what happens when one puts a bunch of Vikings in a boat and have them row across the North Sea to their next sortie. It all makes sense now.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:04 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Fragrance is what people want...
Well, it is certainly marketed to us as something of a necessity. I started to go with a lot of fragrance free products a long time ago when I realized that along with the 'oriental' cologne I was wearing I also had coconut scented hair products, powder scented deodorant, fruity scented body wash, and clean linen scented clothing. Don't forget the minty scented toothpaste and mouthwash, lol. Individually they all smelled great, but I did wonder how I smelled to other people with all those different scents combined!

Old 02-10-2017, 03:16 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,011 times
I tend to think that the gifts that people assume my taste are actually more insulting than a gift card. I got some weird french, expensive cream for dry skin from my mother in law for Christmas. I started using it, and breaking out. I just prefer to have a say in this sort of thing, as I am picky with my perfumes, lotions, foods, flowers, etc. for a reason, and that is because I have allergy issues. A gift card would have gotten much further with me, or something that I actually have had a record of using. Someone bought me a prank gift as doggie poop bags when I am walking my dogs. You know sadly which one I use more, the poop bags or the fancy french lotion? And I can tell you it is not for the smell!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships