Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 08:27 AM

1,186 posts, read 961,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Does anybody even go for pre-marital counseling or couples counseling these days before getting married?
I think it's still mandatory if you want to be married in a Catholic church. My (now) husband is Hindu, and to be married in my childhood church we both still went through the Pre-Cana program, which requires you to complete a compatibility assessment on practical topics such as views on money, kids, disputes, work, etc and then complete a course in what essentially amounts to conflict resolution. It wasn't so much a religious preparation as it was a practical one, to ensure we actually talked about major issues before the wedding.

Overall, we were prepared but I think it was a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,249,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
I think it's still mandatory if you want to be married in a Catholic church. My (now) husband is Hindu, and to be married in my childhood church we both still went through the Pre-Cana program, which requires you to complete a compatibility assessment on practical topics such as views on money, kids, disputes, work, etc and then complete a course in what essentially amounts to conflict resolution. It wasn't so much a religious preparation as it was a practical one, to ensure we actually talked about major issues before the wedding.

Overall, we were prepared but I think it was a good idea.
yeah, it is mandatory if you want to be married in the catholic church. but if you are already living together you have to lie lol i think that's funny.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:58 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,009,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
ROFL!!!!!!!!!! That's another whole thread -- strapless is NOT a good look for 80% of the female population, and yet, almost every wedding dress and bridesmaid is being stuffed into one. *shudder*
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that notices this.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:13 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,564,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that notices this.
Oh no....we notice....hard not to! I just wonder what they will think of their wedding photos 20 years from now. Some of mine are horrible....stupid GINORMOUS bows that completely covered your rear end in the 90's.....I just think to myself..at least I wasn't half naked in a church or yanking on my dress every 5 minutes trying to keep the ladies in!

Old 03-17-2017, 01:13 PM

10,500 posts, read 6,981,908 times
Here's my contribution.

A cousin of mine from the East Coast moved to Australia. He met a girl there and they decided to get married in...Hawaii. This is a venue that manages to be convenient to no one at all. As a result, a trickle from both sides of the family are going.

But, get this, they asked us to not give presents, but give cash contributions. As in pony up for their fabulous honeymoon.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:43 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,564,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Here's my contribution.

A cousin of mine from the East Coast moved to Australia. He met a girl there and they decided to get married in...Hawaii. This is a venue that manages to be convenient to no one at all. As a result, a trickle from both sides of the family are going.

But, get this, they asked us to not give presents, but give cash contributions. As in pony up for their fabulous honeymoon.
Would it be rude to write on the RSVP card that they can suck it? This plan sounds like my brother. They said no gifts. They've been living together for 7 years and own a house. They wanted money for their honeymoon. They've been married for 2 1/2 years and still haven't taken that honeymoon they kept saying they were going to take. I doubt they ever will. it was just a money grab....tacky tacky tacky

Old 03-17-2017, 02:03 PM

318 posts, read 465,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
i'm done with weddings. i will be a bridesmaid, once again, in July of this year. this will be my 5th time being in a wedding party. i'm so frustrated with the extravagant costs that people want you to spend. i'm honestly starting to build some resentment about it. i was just told i need to chip in 200$ for the bridal shower... then i have to get the dress (about $200), alterations for the dress (prob $100) hair & makeup ($100), a shower gift, and then an actual gift for the wedding. bachelorette party will prob be around 200$ as well. don't forget the hotel too (prob $200/night). probably will top at about $1,000. which has been the same for the other 4 weddings i was in as well.

i know i know, i didn't have to say yes to being a bridesmaid. but the alternative of saying no would probably be a lot worse... "why doesn't she want to be a bridesmaid" "i can't believe you said no" "i can't believe you wouldn't partake in his/her special day". anyway, i just needed to vent. why can't people just have a low key party and you give a gift and then be done with it? i especially hate when people tell me "it will be your turn one day". NO! i plan on going to get the marriage license and then that's it. maybe the party will consist of a nice dinner where me and my boyfriend pay for everything. i would never expect people to pay for anything just because i decide to spend the rest of my life with someone.

anyone else? i'm considering saying no to the bachelorette party to cut costs.
You are in too deep at this point to back out without creating hard feelings.

Just do the bachelorette party and learn from this.

NO MORE WEDDINGS. Who cares what they think? You will lose touch with these people anyway.

NO MORE WEDDINGS Unless it is your own.

Yeah, brides today... really money grubbing and demanding status hogs... I've seen it all. I've been to wedding showers and bachelorette nights of friends daughter's (seriously HUGE parties) and then had to give am expensive gift (from the registry list) for the wedding.

And naturally, received no thank you note... but that is for another post... LOL

Old 03-17-2017, 02:06 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,018,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Would it be rude to write on the RSVP card that they can suck it? This plan sounds like my brother. They said no gifts. They've been living together for 7 years and own a house. They wanted money for their honeymoon. They've been married for 2 1/2 years and still haven't taken that honeymoon they kept saying they were going to take. I doubt they ever will. it was just a money grab....tacky tacky tacky
I can sort of understand not wanting gifts in this situation. I know if I got married now, money would be the only thing I would want. I have plenty of serving dishes, appliances, linens, furniture, etc. I have multiples of everything as it is.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:12 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,635,743 times
I've never been a bridesmaid before. My own bridesmaids never asked me to be their bridesmaid when they got married. I suppose I should be happy that I was even invited to their weddings.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:40 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times
My wife and I were 48 and 50, respectively, when we married. Both of us had been married before so we became a cliché and eloped to Reno, an hour and a half from where we lived. A five minute "ceremony" did the trick and we had no guests nor did we want any. I guess it took because we've been married a bit over 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships