Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:47 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times

Advertisements

Why don't you limit her access to your posts? You can either block her from everything you post or just individual ones.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:04 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Can't you just enjoy and evening out with your husband or playing with an animal and not have to post about it?

Believe or not, but you can get a sense of satisfaction and power by keeping somethings to yourself.

Many today thanks to social media seem to think that others are fascinated with everything they do and what they had for lunch.

They're not.

While she may have animosity, maybe she thinks you're self absorbed?
HAHAHA! I agree.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:07 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
I am looking for an opinion on something. Basically, every couple months I will put pictures up on social media site for whatever...whether it is pictures of my husband and I dressed up out to dinner, vacations, a selfie with myself and an animal I was spending time with, etc.

So I have this friend for about 20 years, and we go out to lunch maybe a couple times a year. I usually visit her while visiting family 2 hours away, and it hasn't been as often because I haven't been traveling as much. Anyway, she will private message me asking when I will be visiting next and to contact her, and nothing really else in between. Well, she will post random stuff to my pictures, and last time the responses were kinda like asking question that I felt were better suited for private messages. She made some strange remark recently about what I was wearing, asking if it was a special occasion, and made a comment about what my husband was wearing, and I felt it was a dig.

It just seems awkward and embarrassing when someone does this, and I have a gut feeling this friend has some kind of animosity toward me. I had a feeling my mother in law was making a point too...but I am not understanding what?? Why would someone do or say this stuff randomly.

I know I will get the lecture and a lot of who cares from people replying to this, but I am asking so I know whether to proceed with caution with this friend, maybe cut her off, or something?? I am not good picking up on this manipulative stuff and games people play...until things get really bad.
Here's my advice: Delete your account. You'll find that you'll be much happier not having to worry about this sort of nonsense. Just do it.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:26 AM

676 posts, read 528,329 times
This makes me think about the whole social media thing and how many people love it and many people do not.

Those who enjoy it seem to enjoy putting themselves on display. I'm not saying this as a judgement of those people, but rather as a fact. I am guilty of the same sort of thing from time to time. All of us would like to be seen as attractive and since we live in a world where attractiveness is worshiped, then it stands to reason that we would engage in this sort of behavior.

Having said that, we all also indulge in the behavior of judging others. This is a necessary thing that humans must do in order to sort out their personal values and navigate through life. Problems arise when we go from judging to judgmental.

I may judge your behavior as unsuitable for me. In other words, I may decide that the number of pictures of yourself that you post on your Facebook page and the provocativeness of those pictures would not be something that I would engage in. However, when I decide that you should not engage in this behavior simply because I wouldn't, then I have become judgmental.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:02 AM

44,353 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Please read NRR forum rules in the Sticky thread. Threads about social media are no longer permitted. This thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships