Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 05:15 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Ask him if hearing from you is useful right now or if he needs to take a break.
Sounds like he is taking a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 07:07 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm going to cut OP a bit of slack. It is very difficult to be around a person who is in a black mood. I just don't think this is the time to walk away from a very long friendship, and a couple of emails are not much price to pay.

This is why some depressed people go into hibernation mode as I call it. I know when I'm going through a period of serious depression that nobody wants to be around me and frankly, I don't have the energy when I'm dealing with it to even talk to people. I just wait it out. It's hell living with chronic depression.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
being suicidal is sorta severe.

Did it pass by itself or did you get therapy or medication? I'm asking for myself because I have been there more times than I can count.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:19 AM

867 posts, read 1,588,171 times
your depressed friend doesn't sound like he is asking anything from you; you're just not sure how long you can take reaching out to him and him not changing or trying to change? This is frustrating but if he really does have major depression, he needs more help than you can give him. It's also hard finding just the right kind of Dr or Therapist that can help you.

I don't think that emailing or calling him once a week is asking too much of you. He speaks to his sister so hopefully if she saw any signs of the depression getting worse (suicidal tendencies) she would get immediate help. Why don't you tell his sister that if she ever needs you, she can call you? Support givers are often under-appreciated and they need support too.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:01 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Bad advice. A depressed person needs to know people care about him.
Every other day? That would drive me nuts. He's not responding. That tells me he doesn't want to talk.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:03 AM

He doesn't need to respond; he just needs to know that someone cares.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:17 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
This is why some depressed people go into hibernation mode as I call it. I know when I'm going through a period of serious depression that nobody wants to be around me and frankly, I don't have the energy when I'm dealing with it to even talk to people. I just wait it out. It's hell living with chronic depression.

yes..... yes, it is.....

Old 02-19-2017, 10:03 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
My wife is bipolar 2. As such she has periodic depressive episodes and is going through one right now. There's no rhyme nor reason to them. The just occur. We've been married for a bit over 20 years and she "warned" me about the depressions before she agreed to marry me. I married her because we'd been friends for five years and there is so much more to and about her than a mere diagnosis. It doesn't define her. When the depressions hit I'm simply supportive, take over all the household duties which includes all the shopping and cooking and reaffirm my love for her. She's worth it. In time the depressions lift and she's comforted by my love and willingness to take care of her and everything else. Support and caring are important and very therapeutic.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:10 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
being suicidal is sorta severe.
If that's truly the case, then you should understand that someone who is severely depressed doesn't just pick themselves up.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:22 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My wife is bipolar 2. As such she has periodic depressive episodes and is going through one right now. There's no rhyme nor reason to them. The just occur. We've been married for a bit over 20 years and she "warned" me about the depressions before she agreed to marry me. I married her because we'd been friends for five years and there is so much more to and about her than a mere diagnosis. It doesn't define her. When the depressions hit I'm simply supportive, take over all the household duties which includes all the shopping and cooking and reaffirm my love for her. She's worth it. In time the depressions lift and she's comforted by my love and willingness to take care of her and everything else. Support and caring are important and very therapeutic.
I have bipolar and have more of a tendency toward depression than I do mania. OP, it is very common for people undergoing a bad depression to withdraw into themselves and be consumed with the lack of energy, lack of focus, and the other symptoms that come with this frustrating disorder. I can understand your frustration because you can't just "fix" someone who is depressed, but I guarantee that he is at least twice as frustrated as you are. Ask him outright what he needs. And be patient. He might have a tough time articulating what he needs. It helps that you are keeping contact with him because too many people are less than understanding and even abandon people that are going through something like this. It is good that he is going through therapy and seeing a psychiatrist, but even so, it takes a lot of work and trial and error to overcome a bad depression. Even getting out of bed or simple self-care is next to impossible for someone who is severely depressed. Just being there is a good start.

At the same time, I know that close friends and family can get overwhelmed and frustrated with someone going through something like this, especially if they don't quite understand the magnitude. It is important that you practice your own self-care because it is tiring being in caregiver mode. One of the things that helped me, and something that you might suggest to him, is seeking out a support group, either in person or online. It helped me to know that many others knew how I felt and people have suggestions for coping skills. Please be patient and continue to be there for your friend. Just like it cannot rain all the time, depressions tend to lift, and he will once again be able to be there for you as he was in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships