Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:49 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Same here. I received four bottles of wine for Christmas (from different people), and they are just sitting around collecting dust until I can regift them. I appreciate the thought behind any gift that I receive, but wine is just useless.
They're not useless if you're a wine drinker. If I know you definitely don't drink wine, I wouldn't give you wine for Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
I would need to learn another language to welcome my neighbors. lol
I'm pretty sure they would understand "Hello, welcome to the neighborhood". If I knew what language they spoke, I'd learn to say it and welcome them

Old 02-22-2017, 07:52 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
They're not useless if you're a wine drinker. If I know you definitely don't drink wine, I wouldn't give you wine for Christmas!
But even if you did, I would appreciate the thought!

Old 02-22-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Something local would be nice. Maybe honey, soap, jams, mustard, home canned fruit or veggies (from a farmers market) and/ or local wine.
Any of the non perishables can be re-gifted if they don't like/can use them.

And for the person who says they would have to learn a new language, to welcome a new neighbor.... I think you were trying to be funny, but welcome has no language barriers.

Welcoming someone who only speaks another language is a great feeling. I have had it from both sides, though as an English only speaker, I was the only one who didn't speak the other language! It was so nice to be welcomed, and to have my world view changed.
From what I understand, they are Spanish but I believe English speaking. Only one way to find out

Old 02-22-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'd be happy with a six-pack of craft beer and some filling salty snacks to go with it.

Speaking of which, what's the "protocol" of welcoming new neighbors in a condominium building, as opposed to a subdivision or an old-school residential street? Or is it all the same? I'll be buying a condo within a year or so, and would like to know.
That's a good question. We used to live in a co-op and everyone pretty much kept to themselves. I would welcome them the same way as an old-school residential street. Maybe that particular condo may have "meet and greet" socials when new people move in. If not, you should suggest it I think it's nice to know who your neighbors are

Old 02-22-2017, 08:15 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
That's a good question. We used to live in a co-op and everyone pretty much kept to themselves. I would welcome them the same way as an old-school residential street. Maybe that particular condo may have "meet and greet" socials when new people move in. If not, you should suggest it I think it's nice to know who your neighbors are
I currently live in a rental building, and it's like you described. People generally keep to themselves, and don't knock on people's door to introduce themselves formally. Any new resident introductions usually happen in the hallways. Like, "I'm [Name] from [Apt. #]. I moved in a week ago." There are resident socials a few times a year, with good food and cheap giveaways. I met a good number of people there. They all know I'm a single man living alone, and a few saw me stagger in from an Uber at 2:30 AM, and no one passes judgment on me over it.

I'd imagine that being different in an HOA-centric SFH community, so I excluded those from the get-go. Residential streets without an HOA, like in most pre-WWII areas, might be better; I don't automatically write them off, but they're not my first choice. Ideally, I want a condominium in an old neighborhood with a high walk score. So far, your post is encouraging: I like knowing my neighbors, but prefer to cultivate close friendships elsewhere.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:45 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
We live in a "new build" subdivision and moved in last summer. New homes are going up everywhere and new families are moving in constantly. No one gave me a welcome gift and I wouldn't expect one either. When I meet a new neighbor we just go over and welcome them to the neighborhood and introduce ourselves. We let them know where we live and that they are welcome to ask us for anything if needed. I don't think you have to give a gift just to be welcoming.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I currently live in a rental building, and it's like you described. People generally keep to themselves, and don't knock on people's door to introduce themselves formally. Any new resident introductions usually happen in the hallways. Like, "I'm [Name] from [Apt. #]. I moved in a week ago." There are resident socials a few times a year, with good food and cheap giveaways. I met a good number of people there. They all know I'm a single man living alone, and a few saw me stagger in from an Uber at 2:30 AM, and no one passes judgment on me over it.

I'd imagine that being different in an HOA-centric SFH community, so I excluded those from the get-go. Residential streets without an HOA, like in most pre-WWII areas, might be better; I don't automatically write them off, but they're not my first choice. Ideally, I want a condominium in an old neighborhood with a high walk score. So far, your post is encouraging: I like knowing my neighbors, but prefer to cultivate close friendships elsewhere.
Doesn't matter how we prefer to cultivate them ...I think the fact that people actually want to make the effort to know their neighbors is what counts

Old 02-22-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
We live in a "new build" subdivision and moved in last summer. New homes are going up everywhere and new families are moving in constantly. No one gave me a welcome gift and I wouldn't expect one either. When I meet a new neighbor we just go over and welcome them to the neighborhood and introduce ourselves. We let them know where we live and that they are welcome to ask us for anything if needed. I don't think you have to give a gift just to be welcoming.
I know I don't have to...just thought it would be a nice welcoming gesture along with introducing ourselves

Old 02-22-2017, 09:27 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
Good fences make good neighbors, but you are allowed to talk over the hedge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships