Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 12:41 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Don't think about it as pretending to like her. Think of it as maintaining social ties that you need in your life. Adjust your facial expression to neutral, be civil, don't prolong your encounter, smile when you say goodbye.

Don't talk about her to others. And ask your wife not to talk about your dislike with others either.

If she is not a likable person, others will likely keep her at a distance, and she might not last in your circle of friends. If you are unreasonably disliking her, perhaps you can reevaluate later.

Treat her as if she was a boss whom you don't like but must get along with. But you don't have to do things for her, as you would with an unlikable boss. This is good social discipline.
Not necessarily because it could just be a personality clash while others in the group have no problem with that individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 07:04 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,321 times
Is there someone that I pretend to like? Yes, my boss.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:23 AM

36 posts, read 24,382 times
Default I'd like to offer my reply if I may,

I noticed there were was something missing from your post, you never mentioned why you dislike the person, or if your wife feels the same way. By knowing both makes the picture more clear and easier for people to offer varied opinions/ideas/advice etc.

Everybody has a circle of friends / workmates where they dislike someone for varied reasons, some dislikes are justified, for whatever reason/s, while other dislikes can be classed as petty and childish.

With respects to you, and without pointing a finger, which of the 2 categories would you put your dislike for this person in?

Once you have made a choice, it will be easier for you to either reassess your dislike for her, or stand by your original reason for disliking her because you find it unforgivable.

From what you wrote in your post, I can only presume your wife likes the person, therefore, it puts you in an uncomfortable tripod situation.

Pretending to like the person is basically acting false toward that person, but more importantly, you yourself are putting yourself in an uncomfortable situation by continually pretending, and, every time the 3 of you are in the same gathering of friends means you have to continually keep up the false acting. Do you think you would feel comfortable within yourself in having to keep the false act going every time you are in each others company?

Note,

In some cases dislike can lead to hatred can lead to obsessive hatred.

I'd be interested in reading what you have decided to do.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:21 AM

473 posts, read 307,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Ah, the joys of living in a social world. It makes us do a lot of things we don't want to, "just to get along." There's a person in my extended friendship circle whom I no longer like. I'll call her Jeanette. We ran into her unexpectedly the other day, and after we finished talking to her, my wife told me I looked like I was sucking on a lemon during our conversation. She told me I didn't pretend to like her well enough, that I looked like I couldn't stand to be there, and that I had a duty to at least fake it a little bit, because we're in the position of encountering her often in our lives and we have to get along. I was mad. Why do I have to fake liking a person? But OK. Staying happily married is important, so I can do this. But how? How do you pretend to like someone?
Lemon is ok, at least you did not spit on her face or so. You don't have to pretend. Just try to focus on 1 little positive thing in her and it comes naturally. If not else then be happy that she is not peeing on your shoe or something

Old 03-05-2017, 08:13 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,026,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Ah, the joys of living in a social world. It makes us do a lot of things we don't want to, "just to get along." There's a person in my extended friendship circle whom I no longer like. I'll call her Jeanette. We ran into her unexpectedly the other day, and after we finished talking to her, my wife told me I looked like I was sucking on a lemon during our conversation. She told me I didn't pretend to like her well enough, that I looked like I couldn't stand to be there, and that I had a duty to at least fake it a little bit, because we're in the position of encountering her often in our lives and we have to get along. I was mad. Why do I have to fake liking a person? But OK. Staying happily married is important, so I can do this. But how? How do you pretend to like someone?
Quit being a stuck-up is a pretty good start.

If this is a person who has never done anything horrible to you, you don't necessarily have to be their buddy. But you should at least be civil. It's what adults do.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:58 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Quit being a stuck-up is a pretty good start.

If this is a person who has never done anything horrible to you, you don't necessarily have to be their buddy. But you should at least be civil. It's what adults do.
I agree, you can still be civil and polite to someone whom you dislike.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:43 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
I agree, but it's easier if that person isn't spouting off about something you heartily disagree with. I run into this in my area, and they immediately assume I agree with them, when actually I surely do not. I just smile and try to change the subject or move on. But it does leave a sour taste...

Old 03-07-2017, 11:36 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I agree, you can still be civil and polite to someone whom you dislike.

Exactly. Unless they killed my puppy or something, my dislike is usually my problem and it's no justification for being rude to people.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships