Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 12:27 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,599 times

Advertisements

I can appreciate being given details with regards to a party (what type, pot-luck, fancy dress, outdoors, etc), but other than that, no.

That being said, I do tend to give the history of the clock when I'm training co-workers or giving customers information. That way I'll typically receive less follow up queries in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 01:38 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
I'm the exact opposite of what you describe so I feel your pain OP. I want to jump out of my skin sometimes. I want to shake them and say get to the point already!

Old 02-23-2017, 02:44 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
My husband does this. He turns a light on for me and says "I turned on the light for you." He reads all the signs when we are driving. He can't just tell a story like "I saw Bob at the store today." It is more like a running commentary- "I turned into the parking lot at the store because I needed to buy milk and there was a blue truck that turned in front of me. I walked down the bread aisle to get to the milk, and there was an old lady talking to another old lady so I had to go around them. I got to the milk and one was on sale so I bought that. On my way to the checkout, I saw this guy in a green shirt that looked familiar but I didn't know him. Then on my way out I ran into Bob, who was coming to the store to buy some screws for the new deck he is building for his house on Elm St, where he lives with his wife, Linda and their four kids, I don't remember all of their names, maybe Joe, Sally, Ed and Sue? Oh no, not Sue, must be Karen or something."
Ah yes. I know the type well. I have a coworker like this. But she would add that Bob was the guy that used to work here and that when he left here for another job it was because he got caught having an affair with one of the other employees. I then would find out the exact ages of his kids and that the oldest was having a drug problem at the time Bob was here and that the stress of that probably lead to his infidelity but it was amazing that after all this, his wife never left him. She was a really nice lady that volunteered at the hospital . . . and so on and so on.

I will, of course, also hear this story multiple times and overhear it being told to other employees multiple times. I probably know more about past employees and my coworker's family and friends than I know about my own family.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:30 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,614 times
Bob - I see you've met my mother.

Her overexplaining I take as if she believes I am stupid and that is why I must be told that a truck is good for hauling things, if it's cold out I should wear a coat and when packing for a trip I should bring changes of clothes and toiletries. Uh, really ?

So I get it.

Unfortunately I find myself slipping into overexplaining but not over this stuff. More like for clarification but to a point it can be annoying. *served dinner by bf* "Wow, this is good. I mean, the meal is good. You did a good job. A good job cooking I mean."

Not sure where it comes from; I try to rein it in though.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:32 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
My husband does this. He turns a light on for me and says "I turned on the light for you." He reads all the signs when we are driving. He can't just tell a story like "I saw Bob at the store today." It is more like a running commentary- "I turned into the parking lot at the store because I needed to buy milk and there was a blue truck that turned in front of me. I walked down the bread aisle to get to the milk, and there was an old lady talking to another old lady so I had to go around them. I got to the milk and one was on sale so I bought that. On my way to the checkout, I saw this guy in a green shirt that looked familiar but I didn't know him. Then on my way out I ran into Bob, who was coming to the store to buy some screws for the new deck he is building for his house on Elm St, where he lives with his wife, Linda and their four kids, I don't remember all of their names, maybe Joe, Sally, Ed and Sue? Oh no, not Sue, must be Karen or something."

I am sure it isn't funny for you after a while but thanks for that story. I roared with laughter. You wrote it so well.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:39 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,614 times
Same here Aery

Old 02-23-2017, 03:57 PM

524 posts, read 843,554 times
I am that person. Rambling on and on.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:05 PM

427 posts, read 440,340 times
Plantress, if nothing else, next time you start to rambling, remember us here. If we can curtail one from a run on inconsequential story there could be a light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you in advance.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:29 PM

894 posts, read 586,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
No, I'm fine with this. I do this when dealing with people of questionable intellect. What I mean is someone telling you to keep an eye on a stove because the meat might burn, which would then set off the fire alarm. The meat would be burned into the pan,which they mayor may not go get to physically illustrate the point. They'll remind you to flip the steak over at some point because it needs to have heat on both sides, because, you know,they assume you've never seen a stove before.
I have had to deal with folks like that before. Very annoying. I don't know if they think I was born and raised in a cave or what!

Old 02-24-2017, 04:00 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Ask him the time and he'll tell you how to build a clock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships