Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:58 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Not unless I thought they posed a significant danger to life, limb, or property. I don't believe in adhering to rules just for the sole sake of adhering to rules. There has to be something at stake.
Where do you draw the line? Is an obvious DUI after 4 or 5 drinks in the bar in an hour or high as a kite on opiates where the guy makes it home without hitting anything a phone call?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 09:46 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
If someone was doing something that wasn't affecting you (and wouldn't otherwise be illegal), but you knew it was breaking their probation, would you call their Parole Officer?

To be clear, violations like leaving the state w/o approval. Living in a place they are not registered to live. Not attending court ordered recovery programs. And of course lying to the PO about all of it.
No. If it is true they're not attending court ordered programs will eventually get them sent back.

If they weren't on parole none of those things would be illegal, stay out of it.

Considering some of the criminal things we've seen on the news that parolees have done, this is nothing.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:50 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Quote:
That is in my thought process. But she is an adult and has had more then her share of people trying to help her move on and break ties with this person (she does great while he is locked up or in treatment, then falls right back in with him when he gets out). She is like one of those whales that beach themselves, then they are rescued and pushed back into the sea only to beach themselves right away again. And over and over. So while I would help her if she asked for help...I have to assume she doesn't want help now.
After reading this post I'd suggest you stay out of it. If anyone should call his parole officer it should be his wife.. not you.

She's not ready for help and anything you do now is just going to be seen as interference and you'll end up being the bad guy in their eyes.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
You know what, I think there is more to this than you are letting on.
Why would you want to call his parole officer about things that he is doing that is hurting no-one?
This all sounds very odd.
I also think that you'd have to have first hand information, you'd actually witnessed this....not just a venting wife telling you.

Did you ever think that her venting might be her manipulating you....Because I'll guarantee she has the parole officers number.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:04 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I noticed that several people have used the phrase "...wouldn't be illegal if they weren't on probation..."

I'm undecided on what I would do and what circumstances would sway my action. However I don't understand the thought behind the idea that a parolee, doing something that wouldn't be breaking the law if they weren't on parole, is somehow not really breaking the law. Presumably this person is on parole for a reason and the specifics of his parole are in place for a reason. Whether or not his actions would be illegal if he weren't on probation isn't relevant, because he IS, in fact....on probation.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:06 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I would stay out of it because not attending recovery programs that are court ordered will result in a problem for the subject in question when the PO asks for a status report from the service provider.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-25-2017, 12:16 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Well, if someone is really that violent, perhaps they need to be reported, just to keep them off the streets. If they punch you in the face you should sue them for everything - medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, until you are made whole. Even profit a little. Nothing wrong with being paid for helping law enforcement do their job.
You think someone like this has any money???

Old 02-25-2017, 12:34 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
OP just hearing that you "think" the kids have been removed would be enough to make me report it anonymously. They need a fair chance at life, wherever they are.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:48 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
You think someone like this has any money???
Yeah, much more likely this person would break into my house and steal everything not bolted down anyways.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:29 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Yeah, much more likely this person would break into my house and steal everything not bolted down anyways.
This reminds me of a conversation I walked in on in a prison between a four-time loser (seasoned convict) and a fish (first-time inmate). The old con brought me into the conversation by saying, "Take Officer _____ here. He knows that If I break into his house and steal his television it's nothing personal. I just need something to sell so I can get my dope. Right, Officer _____" The fish was wide-eyed. I responded, "That's right. And you know as you're coming through my door and I blow you back out of my house with my .357 magnum (this was in the early 80s) it's nothing personal. I'm just protecting my property, right"? The con's response was, "Exactly!"

Cop vs. Con. Those were interesting times and mind-sets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships