Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 12:30 PM

63 posts, read 49,664 times

Advertisements

There's no reason to keep a toxic person in your life. It doesn't matter who they are.
As someone who grew up with an abusive mother, I feel that there is no greater betrayal than a mother mistreating her child.
My father did not stand up for me until I developed severe depression. By then, so much damage was already done. I commend my father for chastising my mom when she is out of line. He's been doing more of that recently.

It's time for you to think about yourself and your happiness. If your mother is too awful to have in your life, you don't need to be close to her. I keep my mother at an arm's length and it works well for myself and my marriage. She wasn't invited to our wedding and she isn't permitted to stay in our home overnight. My mother doesn't like our boundaries but that's not our problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 10:47 AM

81 posts, read 99,965 times
My heart goes out to you OP. I had a mentally ill mother who self-medicated with booze. No father. A family member who knew about the abuse I was enduring and did nothing to help me.

Your mother has no redeeming qualities. Zero. And it doesn't matter if she's getting any better. She's completely toxic to you. As hard as it is I'd suggest COMPLETELY cutting her out of your life. I had to do the same with mine, and it helped. No fresh wounds after I cut her off in my early 20's.

Your father should be ashamed of himself. He was the (apparently) mentally healthy sober one and he didn't do anything to help you. In a way he's even worse than your mom. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on him. He doesn't deserve to be in your life. I'd suggest cutting him out of your life too, but I know how hard this may be. This is where a skilled therapist can be helpful. I don't know how much emotional support you have otherwise, but the more the better when you are are deciding what to do.

It's a struggle knowing which members of your family you need to cut out of your life as an adult when you grew up as an abused kid. I still struggle with it and I'm a lot older than you. All of the family relationships tend to get messed up when there is major abuse, even between people who didn't abuse each other. Even the sibling relationships, sometimes aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc. Families are systems and when one part of the system completely breaks down it's unreasonable to expect that there won't be repercussions in the rest of the system.

Don't minimize what you've been through, and don't let anyone else do so either. You've been through a war. Make sure you continue to get the help you need, and keep us posted.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:27 PM

81 posts, read 99,965 times
Oh, and the guilt you feel about "lashing out" at your father? You can let that go RIGHT NOW. Whatever you said to him he deserves for not stepping up for you with your mother. You have ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH reasons to feel guilty!

Finally, don't let ANYONE ever try to make you feel guilty for not helping them/taking care of them/giving them money when they're old (and they might in a few years, I've been there). It may sound harsh, but it's not. They deserve NOTHING from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships