Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 07:03 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I am not sure maybe you could give more specifics about the situation.

I knew a woman a while back who decided I was off her social list when she found out my husband lost his job. I ran into her again a few months later at Barnes & Noble, she came for storytime in the kids section and I had brought my daughter there. She wanted to know if my personal life had improved. I asked her what she meant by that. She whispered "your husband, did he get another job" and she said it like it was some shameful thing. And when I told her yes, she said "well, we'll get together again some time, please text me". But I never contacted her. Mainly because I don't want my child exposed to people like her. I usually drop people before they get a chance to do that to me, once I get a whiff of their attitude. I'm gone.

Wow what a shallow person.

As for the OP it depends on the situation. Are you a drama queen and every little thing is a problem? If you are not and it is a "major" life altering event than I would hope my friends are there for me. But yeah lives are busy and people have their own troubles which will come before yours.

It depends how serious the problem is. If my spouse died and you cannot be there for me then you are not a friend. Most problems I have I don't need anyone to hold my hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 08:06 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,523,752 times
True friends are a rarity and should be cherished.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:33 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,660,310 times
I guess it depends how many times you are at your "lowest". Some people seem to constantly tread water -- everything bad happens to them, woe is them, why won't anyone help them? A friend may offer help once, twice -- but once you become a "project", most people are going to wander away.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:35 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,897,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
Drop them or keep them?
These are long time friends.
I agree with many others that more information is needed. How blatant was the "not being there"? Were the friends aware that you really needed their suppost? What did you expect of them that was not forthcoming? And finally, in what way were you "at your lowest"?

Of course ultimately it's your call. The objective facts do not always translate into the emotional reality. If it would be a forced and awkward effort to be pleasant to these friends going forward, it would be better to drop them.

However, sometimes we encounter people because we are in the same social millieu. Therefore, if we are going to see them even if we don't want to, it's probably best to distance ourselves as much as we can without being rude or creating drama, but at the same time maintaining civility.

There is sometimes a middle ground. For example, if we receive an email, we can answer it very briefly rather than at the normal length. And we can stop initiating emails to that person without making an announcement about it. Ditto with phone calls.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:39 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I guess it depends how many times you are at your "lowest". Some people seem to constantly tread water -- everything bad happens to them, woe is them, why won't anyone help them? A friend may offer help once, twice -- but once you become a "project", most people are going to wander away.
Yep.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:13 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
we need more details ...

Old 03-03-2017, 09:58 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Drop them or keep them?
Depends on the definition of "rough". I have a good friend that gave me a place to stay for 3 months right after I split from my ex. I was getting the house, but until the divorce was final, he stayed there. It was one of the few times in my life I needed someone "there" for me, and she delivered. Once in 15 years.

She has another friend that is always in need, usually financially. About every six months there's some sort of "emergency" that requires quite a bit of money to fix. She calls my friend, who delivered the first few times, then stopped. The person having the rough time now tells everyone she knows what a horrible person my friend is, because she's never "there" for her.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:59 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
we need more details ...
Something tells me we won't get any.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:57 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
Depends on the situation!

I had a friend who knew I was going to the hospital to give birth. I never heard from her again and we had been friends for 20 years.

Then I had another friend that had been in my life since we were 11. She got married and stopped talking to everyone until her divorce 5 years later. We are now good friends again.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:16 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,212 times
Quote:
Drop them or keep them?
If they can't be there for you when you need them the most, they aren't friends. They are acquaintances.

It is dysfunctional to make excuses for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships