Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 06:24 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Wow, i responded to the wrong thread. Too many tabs open. Sorry
ROFL, I thought there was some hidden metaphorical meaning there, and I was trying to figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 06:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times
I truly think that people who are insulted by being called "Sir" or "Ma'am" are unhappy and unpleasant people who just look for things to be insulted by so they can have something to grouse about. Ridiculous!

Old 03-10-2017, 07:18 PM

52,010 posts, read 52,457,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I truly think that people who are insulted by being called "Sir" or "Ma'am" are unhappy and unpleasant people who just look for things to be insulted by so they can have something to grouse about. Ridiculous!
I agree, got to be a miserable sad sack to micro-analyze and parse every word looking for ways to get upset. There's a thread floating around here about getting upset when people call you "hon", I mean jeez already. Stupid inane first world problems we have.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:39 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,009,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquest View Post
Well said, ma'am. It's always nice when people recognize good manners for what they are and appreciate them.
Thank you !!

Old 03-10-2017, 08:50 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,797,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Wow, i responded to the wrong thread. Too many tabs open. Sorry
And I was trying to put the metaphor in context.

Ed: Oops! Looks like the queen was too.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:51 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,721,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
Now, to go out on a limb: If you're feeling scared of an aggressive cop, and you say "Sir," then you are more doing so out of self-protection and kiss butt to save yours and out of intimidation than reespect...
I will only say "sir" if I think he's older than I am.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:59 PM

28,624 posts, read 18,677,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree, got to be a miserable sad sack to micro-analyze and parse every word looking for ways to get upset. There's a thread floating around here about getting upset when people call you "hon", I mean jeez already. Stupid inane first world problems we have.
Very true.

This thread would certainly be considered stupid by anyone in a third world nation. And considering that the Germans, the French, the Italians, and the Spanish use their versions of "sir" all the time, this thread would be stupid in most of Europe as well. And in Japan, India, and China.

Some people are working 'way too hard to be offended.

Some others are working 'way too hard to avoid appearing to show respect to anyone.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:43 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
And I was trying to put the metaphor in context.

Ed: Oops! Looks like the queen was too.
Great minds!

Old 03-11-2017, 06:35 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,470,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I will only say "sir" if I think he's older than I am.
Which is where I think people get insulted. The first time you get called sir is a pretty WTF moment.

I went through a period where I did not like being called sir, but now I embrace it and go with it.

It is more important how you take it and react to it than the intent IMHO.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:46 AM

15,207 posts, read 10,238,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
I don't find the word to be the least bit intimidating. Why would anyone be intimidated by it ?

It's simply a formality. It gets used less and less in everyday life as many people prefer informality. This is especially true of younger members of society.

I was walking out of the post office the other day. A man in front of me had a envelope slip from the pile of papers he was carrying. I called out to him " Sir, you dropped something " Sounds lot more polite than
" Hey, you" or " Hey, mister". How would " sir" be intimidating ?
Today's younger people would have said: "Hey dude, you dropped something".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships