Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:31 AM

88,504 posts, read 84,652,005 times

Advertisements

I met a few people from an old AOL message board I used to frequent. Still in touch with them on Facebook, those I met plus others around the country from the board.

I've met one person from City-Data in person. It was fun. I plan to meet another soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 11:25 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,666,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
i post pretty regularly on this one local<edit> social media site and another regular poster invited me to an event. i have never met a person in real life who i met online. does this ever work out and people can become actual friends? or is meeting a real person different than an online persona?
Sure. I have invited online friends to my home to meet for the first time. I have also thrown parties at Science Fiction conventions for people who were members of a particular discussion group. In the days before AOHelL, we used to throw @ parties for anybody who was on the internet. Public internet put an end to that. I think my last @ party was about 1991.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:35 AM

924 posts, read 751,041 times
I've done it twice. The first time was meeting up with a female friend to attend a concert, the second time was a guy whom I met through a dating website.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:48 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,784,429 times
We met a very nice couple on a phonograph web site that my husband belongs to. We've also met two people in Maine and one in Scotland that I talked to here on City Data. There's quite a few more that I'd love to meet in person. A couple of them are also my friends on Facebook. There's one in Indiana thta I've been trying to get together with for about two years now. Maybe some day soon

Old 03-18-2017, 11:49 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,015,594 times
Oh yes I met my husband in Holland when I was co-moderating a classic rock group YEARS ago on MSN when they still had groups. We'd "known" each other for quite awhile before he invited me and I flew alone 5000 miles to the Netherlands. This was not unexpected behavior out of me though.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,456,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
wow really? how does that happen? genuinely curious
We *met* on the Missouri forum, one of whom became our realtor and friend. Every once in awhile a group of us who lived fairly close by one an other would meet for pizza. It was fun. Nice people!

When I lived back in California a half dozen of us from another site met when I gave them an insider's tour of the Capitol, my 'second' office, and another time for drinks. Good times also.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:04 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,333,833 times
Back on the AOL chat rooms there was one that a lot of us frequented. Thirtysomething 1. Fun times! After a year or so of us getting to know each other we started having get togethers in different cities and meeting those we conversed with.

I met my husband in that 'room'. 1996 we officially met and we married in 2000. Almost our whole wedding party were TS1 roomies. Hubbies best man was from the state of Washington. They came from all over the US. We still keep in contact, on a different social platform, and are still friends with a lot of them from back in the day.

Our wedding was a fantastic party. Many AOL friends came to help us celebrate.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:14 PM

155 posts, read 154,130 times
I have heard that people online are actually just everyday regular people like me and you? Is this possible?!

Old 03-18-2017, 02:23 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,333,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwuwei View Post
I have heard that people online are actually just everyday regular people like me and you? Is this possible?!
Whodathunk it?!?

Old 03-18-2017, 05:14 PM

619 posts, read 574,689 times
I used to live in Israel and was active in a few online forums there. One (a foodie group) I'm still active in, and the group meets twice a year as a group, and several times a year smaller, local groups get together. I'm close with a number of people from that group.

I also met a few people from an online American forum a few years ago. And I'm fb friends with some of that group.

I also met people on a meet up group for a specific sports hobby.

I say go for it. Obviously follow the basic safety rukes: meet in a well out public place, have your own transportation or a way home if you need it, and make sure someone in your real life knows where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships