Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 05:18 PM

26 posts, read 69,512 times

Advertisements

I have made some friends through weekly pickup baseball and softball games organized online.

Also met my wife on OKCupid six years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 05:47 PM

993 posts, read 2,284,511 times
I did, and I married him a year later. I also drove to Kansas to meet a woman who was a distant cousin. She and her husband turned out to be very nice people. I also go to meet some other cousins. It was a great trip!

Old 03-18-2017, 08:58 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,340,390 times
I used to gotta hunting and jet ski websites. I met a few local guys and two of them we meet regularly even after we both got out of jet skiing. The other guy I still go bird hunting with.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:48 PM

34,662 posts, read 16,706,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
i post pretty regularly on this one local<edit> social media site and another regular poster invited me to an event. i have never met a person in real life who i met online. does this ever work out and people can become actual friends? or is meeting a real person different than an online persona?
I have made business and political acquaintances of one person online here, and another from the now defunct www.cbc.ca/forums. In the latter case when he and his wife came down from Canada to New Jersey to clean out an apartment after a relative died I bought outdoor tables and lawn furniture from them after having dinner.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:51 PM

1,299 posts, read 818,047 times
Yes I have. I've met a few people from a debate forum I joined 10 years ago. Only two meets weren't terribly fun, but I didn't really have high hopes for becoming friends with them anyway. You do get to "know" people online, and I met with them only because we lived in the same city. The other people were a hoot - just like they are online.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:07 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,064,724 times
Many times. From CD, no less. I met a man that I lived with for a year on CD. My FB friends are just oldies from high school. I still visit them today.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:11 PM

22,329 posts, read 11,853,913 times
I've met up with people that I've talked to in a travel forum. A couple of times, several of us were visiting the same city at the same time. A dinner was arranged where we all paid for our own meals. On that same travel forum, I got to chatting with some women and one of them created a private chat room for us and they invited me to join. So far, I've met 2 of them in person and hope in the future to meet more. Also, it was in that same travel forum that I got to know a woman. When I discovered that we were also on a foodie forum, we became "friends" there and from there, we became friends in that website whose name can't be mentioned here Our friendship has grown quite a bit. She has had some health issues and we live a few hundred miles apart so we haven't met in person yet. However, we do text one another and have had a phone conversation.

What amazes me the most is that without the internet there was no way that I would ever have met all these people!

Old 03-18-2017, 11:44 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,500,682 times
I tried to befriend a frequent poster here on CD...but at the same time, I guess someone else that she corresponded with (don't know if it was CD) catfished her & she lumped me into the same category. I am not a huge social media user, so that was kind of traumatizing...to be accused of that. So, no more for me.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:11 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,281,607 times
No, never have, never will. I don't use the internet to meet people at all.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:52 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,767,325 times
Yup. Non romantic only, I don't do online "romance".

Some of these friendships have lasted over 20 years. We don't see each other often as we are spread all over the country, but we do meet up when we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships