Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 12:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Do most of your friends speak in soundbites or tweets or slogans?
Does the content of conversations with friends constitute simple talking points with no substance?
When asked additional questions about the conversation topic, are your friends able to continue the conversation, stay on topic, and answer the questions? Or do they quickly resort to another topic/talking points?
Do your friends have the attention span to hold a conversation beyond a 45-sec interaction?

That's how most millennials communicate. Just like that. Because they are incapable of forming complex sentences that can explain ideas beyond point 1, point 2, point 3.
Can't say I know a single person who communicates like that. Maybe it has more to do with the type of people you associate with, and less to do with an entire generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 12:55 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:

Speaking to other people in real time and holding/leading/participating in a conversation is a skill millennials have never learned. I see this firsthand in relatives. It's unfortunate and disturbing at the same time.

When the conversation is about pop culture or something else shallow, there is a greater effort for conversation. When the conversation turns toward something meaningful, there is a LOT of difficulty. They can't seem to form logical opinions or thoughts, and tend to parrot information. Talking points. They speak like politicians, not really ever saying much at all.
Wow. The view from your pedestal must be a nice one.

I honestly don't understand the point of people like you and why you choose to be so bitter instead of trying to understand people or have empathy. Instead you just assume you're more intelligent than an entire generation of people. Take your ego down a notch. Or not.
We Millennials will outlive this attitude, that is until we start bashing the generation younger than us... which is clearly inevitable.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:18 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
I'm a millennial (barely) and I generally can't stand millennials. Lots of entitlement, poor communication, and expectations they should get an award for the morning BM.

But let's remember that it was the boomers who raised us and thought it would be a good idea to give everyone a trophy.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:21 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Wow. The view from your pedestal must be a nice one.

I honestly don't understand the point of people like you and why you choose to be so bitter instead of trying to understand people or have empathy. Instead you just assume you're more intelligent than an entire generation of people. Take your ego down a notch. Or not.
We Millennials will outlive this attitude, that is until we start bashing the generation younger than us... which is clearly inevitable.
I has nothing to do with being bitter. Has nothing to do with ego. And empathy ... ??? Don't understand why that is part of a discussion on communication. Should I empathize that there are people who don't know how to hold a conversation??? It is always a sign of intelligence to be able to communicate effectively and clearly, and that has nothing to do with me. It's common sense, and judging by the reps I am getting, I am not the only one who thinks so.

It has to do with observation. Take a walk around and observe. Look at tables next to you in restaurants, people standing in line, walking in the park, interactions with cashiers, etc. See who stares at the screen device, looks up utters a few words, looks down again. Tappity tappity tappity tap. No conversation.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:24 PM

661 posts, read 880,884 times
My son is a Millennial and is driving me crazy already, he is on his computer most of the day, he eats organic veggies only, he has not found a job yet....his cell phone is turned off most of the time.
:-(

Old 03-17-2017, 01:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Maybe she sensed how intolerate you are and looked for someone nicer to help her out.
While I think the OP is treating all millennials unfairly as being the same, it was very nice of her to get right back to this person when they said they got laid off and needed help finding a job.

Did you even read the OP?

Many people start to act like you have a contagious disease when someone loses their job and do nothing even though they could to help. The OP contacted as soon as she could and was willing to help. Not everyone is going to do that.

So you're way off base on your comment.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:50 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
My son is a Millennial and is driving me crazy already, he is on his computer most of the day, he eats organic veggies only, he has not found a job yet....his cell phone is turned off most of the time.
:-(
Well somebody's funding his whole foods habit and cell phone bill...

Old 03-17-2017, 01:53 PM

318 posts, read 467,255 times
Default Perfectly Normal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Maybe not most. But certainly a large percentage. This is umpteenth incident like this I've experienced over the past five years, and it seems to be confined to those under 35.

1) Former colleague in her early 30s texts me to say, "Help! My company is cutting back and I've been laid off. Do you know of anything out there?"

2) I immediately dial her to a) find out what's up and b) try to find out what her needs are to narrow down my search.

3) She does not pick up. A little later she texts, "Sorry I didn't pick up. I'm bummed out. I'll call you tomorrow."

4) As a follow up, I text at the end of the next day, "Hey. Are you still needing help?"

5) Nothing.

I'd love to say that this woman is the only example. Nope. I've had this happen with several millennials, people who are professionals, who shoot up a flare and then go silent when you try to help. I mean, hey, there's a reason they reach out. I operate at a senior level as a consultant. I have plenty of connections.

Yet, when I try to help, nothing. Am I the only one who notices this?
This is what the Baby Boomers did to their children... YEP, totally normal.

1 - all about her
2 -5 not convenient for her to answer or reply, or she didn't *want* to reply... again, all about her.

There is an entire generation like this, and we have ourselves, the Baby Boomers to thank for that. Monster big baby brats (many of them, not all) Personally, I bear no responsibility - no children here.

Always keep in mind... everything is about them, when they want it, and what they want.

What you think or feel does not matter. Only what you can do or provide for them.

And always remember, you really don't know anything. They know EVERYTHING. You are merely there to provide.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:14 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Most milliennials today jump straight to sex on the 1st date just to test out the waters before committing into a relationship. That's why STDs are coming back due to all the sexual contacts and the ease of meeting through Apps.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:40 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
I has nothing to do with being bitter. Has nothing to do with ego. And empathy ... ??? Don't understand why that is part of a discussion on communication. Should I empathize that there are people who don't know how to hold a conversation??? It is always a sign of intelligence to be able to communicate effectively and clearly, and that has nothing to do with me. It's common sense, and judging by the reps I am getting, I am not the only one who thinks so.

It has to do with observation. Take a walk around and observe. Look at tables next to you in restaurants, people standing in line, walking in the park, interactions with cashiers, etc. See who stares at the screen device, looks up utters a few words, looks down again. Tappity tappity tappity tap. No conversation.
You said MILLENNIALS don't know how to talk. Not some or a few, but all of them. I was born in 1991. You don't know me at all or how I speak to people or what I do with technology, and yet you feel like you have the right to judge me.

Are there younger people who do as you describe? Yes. Is it all of them? Absolutely not. Generalizing a whole group of people is a sign of lack of intelligence, not the other way around. Not a hard concept to grasp.

What do reps have to do with anything? So it proves a lot of older people are like you because they refuse to think critically? I already knew that. I also know a lot of older people are here in this thread trying to fight the moronic assumptions. Because I don't assume all Boomers or Gen X-ers are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships