Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 01:25 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on the person.

My living out in the country is probably more likely due to my reclusive, fantasy nature. If I didn't have that, I'd probably soon go batty and wouldn't be doing it.

BUT.....I am not a total recluse and that is, in part, because I have a defense philosophy against it. Ie, don't become a bitter old person but stay active with people. Part of the philosophy comes into play by having a structure to keep life on schedule.

When I was doing thesis work, I still took regular classes to prevent myself from falling into a slump of "oh, I will do that tomorrow....tomorrow.....tomorrow". My boss can't understand why I still work at my job now that "I am rich due to inheritance" and that's because having a job provides structure to life. On the other hand, though, the job I work is the midshift and I have done that for over 20 years.

It just depends on the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Something I meant to say in my earlier post when I mentioned my elderly neighbor:

When you withdraw from the world, often the world does not take kindly to it.. ...
It can go both ways. I've lived here for over a quarter of a century and people know me. Know me for paying my bills each month, know me for the post office, know me when I use to ride my bike all the time, because I was their instructor, because of the projects I've worked on, etc, etc, etc..

So how does it go both ways? Keeps one honest and constantly evaluating of what they can get away with and what they can't.

While other people might say, "That's no one else's business of what I do," or "It's between consenting adults so butt out!" or the like, correctly or not, one keeps it on their mind.

However, just as it goes both ways, so it might go a third way. Remember Star Trek: TOS "Requiem for Methuselah" and how the buyer of the planet, Mr. Brack (sp?) was described? "A wealthy recluse and financier"? That's me to an extent. You won't find me on the lawns of the capitol protesting but I will fund others so they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I don't like people at all, but if recluse means living alone in a little cabin somewhere, no way. Too lonely and I will go insane from listening to my own thoughts........
Errr, yes, there is that problem Out at the ranch house, I do find it rather essential to have music playing and perhaps, some kind of communication routine such as a weekly check in or the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Oh hell yes! My dearest dream is to re-live the Twilight Zone episode 'Time Enough At Last' except, unlike Henry Bemis, I wouldn't break my glasses.

[dailymotion]x4lc1sl[/dailymotion]
For all those referencing that episode, I am surprised that no one referenced
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734656/...nm_flmg_act_95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I have a little cabin, 9 miles from the road on a 2 track goat trail. No power, no phone, no TV, no neighbors, surrounded by thousands of acres of wilderness, it's a little slice of heaven. My plan for retirement is to move there, lock the gate and enjoy.

I've spent most of my life in the wild by myself, except for the fact I have to work in town where I'm forced into interaction with a lot of people, and I also have to do a lot of public speaking or talking to customers on a daily basis, so I get into character and do well, but it isn't me.
Every time I get the opportunity to get away, I take it. If I'm not at work, I'm in the shop all by myself, or with my dogs, or somewhere far out on the backside of nowhere where nobody can find me.

Could I be a recluse? I already am, and will be more so in the future when I can mostly tell the rest of the world to take a hike and my dogs, my fiddle and I can go where we can be happy.

The wife can come along if she wants, but even the amount of chatter she generates by herself is almost too much constant talking for me.
You're not this person......are you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC9qyfKk70Y

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-23-2017 at 01:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 01:51 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,899,704 times
There was a very interesting married couple on City-Data who had moved to the boonies in Alaska and were building their own cabin there. I stress, they didn't live in a city in Alaska, or even in a remote settlement, but out in the boonies by themselves. They saw other humans only rarely, except for each other.

So what do you say? Were they recluses? Remember, they were with each other every day. I would say yes, they were, but on the continuum, to be a total, extreme recluse, one would have to be alone doing what they were doing, without a partner.

I learned recently that this couple has returned to the lower 48. It was apparently the hard, unremitting toil, not the lack of human connection, which motivated their return.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:22 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
If you're with even one other person, you're -- by definiton -- not a recluse.

rec·luse
ˈrekˌlo͞os,rəˈklo͞os/Submit
noun
a person who lives a solitary life and tends to avoid other people.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:44 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

rec·luse
noun
True. Would you also be called a recluse if you are still posting messages and replies on city data forum?

Old 03-23-2017, 07:59 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,899,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

rec·luse
noun
Good point. I do think of them as a reclusive couple, and while that may technically be a contradiction in terms, I still think it's a pretty good description. And I still maintain that it is highly unusual for a couple to be that reclusive.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:07 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
Yeah and I just retired and I am loving it. I am an introvert who did extroverted work roles for years. Found it very draining. I am 90 percent reclusive and 10 percent sociable so I do get out a bit. I enjoy observing people more than anything. Small talk is fun too but too much face time and I am ready to head home.
I never want to be without the company of dogs, however.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:27 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,453 times
Default yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'd jump on that like a duck on a June bug. People are overrated in my opinion.
All the above...
K

Old 03-24-2017, 01:24 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
I don't really want to be a total recluse 24/7, but mostly YES & I could do it successfully. A nice family get together every 10 yrs is nice though & good enough for me!

I'm an only child who never really had but 1 friend at a couple different periods in my life, so yes, I'm used to solitude & can stand alone for sure! Actually, all I'd need is my significant other/spouse or whoever that person is at the time & I can be as happy as someone w/ 1 million friends.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:08 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
What about WITHOUT that significant other/spouse or whoever that person is at the time? Because only that's an legitimate recluse.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:32 PM

10,077 posts, read 7,757,140 times
If you moved me to NY city, I'd be uncomfortable and miserable....too many people.
If you told me we're going to a party this weekend, I'd not look forward to the weekend.
If you told me we were going to a crowded festival with wall to wall people, I'd try to get out of it. I hate crowds.
If I were to move in a house with close neighbors right beside me, I'm unhappy.

If you tell me we're going out hiking in the mountains, I'll look forward to it.
If it's a rainy day and I'm staying in all day watching movies or cleaning or whatever, I'm happy.
If I spend all day in my yard, weeding, mowing, working, I'm happy.
If I live in a house with no visible neighbors on any side, I'm happy. I like my privacy. Don't put me in a house where I walk out and can see my neighbors and their business right smack beside me. Yikes. I need my space.

I enjoy my alone time. I'm not a people person. When I look at people's Facebook pages and see them doing this and that almost everyday, it exhausts me. My Facebook page would be very boring to others.

I'm totally happy though with the way I am so hate when people think I need to get out more. Why? I'm happy. I love being out in nature, hiking, biking, canoeing, etc. You can have your party. It's just not my thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships