Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 12:16 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times

Advertisements

"I never get lonesome.
Cause I treasure my own company."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 02:28 PM

7,023 posts, read 6,256,024 times
One of my brothers once told me, You're going to be an interesting eccentric.

I am a semi-recluse but have interaction with the clerks at our small gas station/grocery store. I adore the people that work there & I hear, they feel the same about me.

BUT I need my privacy & seldom invite people to my apartment. I want to be with people when I want them but want the privilege of my privacy.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:23 PM

4,178 posts, read 4,422,041 times
Like Howard Hughes perhaps..
Interestingly the rise in new communication technology has made recluse like social tendencies easier in a way in that people can choose when and in what sphere they desire to interact with others.

Trying to find a group of people with interests as large as can be found on a website such as this would consume much time if, in say, in person meet ups, but on the internet enables it when and as one chooses.

Much like Curmudgeon's comment, I can easily be gregarious and enjoy being life of party - if I so desire - but it is not my 'default' social typology. I'd rather get to know a few people well than be buried amidst large groups of people for no purpose.

The whole 'tribal' thing many extraverts live for has since my youth been a turnoff. Perhaps it has something to do with formative years or is just innate. I have a highly independent minded streak that desires to be understood and if not easily accomplished with a group, would much prefer being a recluse who can seek out 'contact' as desired.

So as to the OP question, within certain parameters it would be quite enjoyable. Limited people whom are interesting and intelligent and can express themselves and communicate yes. The less amount of time with large amounts of mind numbed consumer driven constantly white noise babble people (celebrity fad followers et al) the better.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:57 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,274,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Oh hell yes! My dearest dream is to re-live the Twilight Zone episode 'Time Enough At Last' except, unlike Henry Bemis, I wouldn't break my glasses.

[dailymotion]x4lc1sl[/dailymotion]
In jail, to punish a prisoner they take them out of the general population so they don't have any contact with others. I believe something is wrong if you feel the need to self-impose such a life.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:15 PM

14,709 posts, read 8,034,142 times
Would I? Oh yeah.
I am already a bit of a recluse.....I'd be an all out Hermit if I had the opportunity!

Old 03-19-2017, 06:03 AM

540 posts, read 361,338 times
Nope. I don't want to shut myself off from the rest of the world.
The world is a big place with lots of interesting things to see.
And lots of interesting people to encounter.
I don't want to see everything by myself. I want to share those experiences with someone.

When I think of recluse I think Uni-Bomber.

No two people are alike and there are 7billion people on the planet.
Might as well meet as many as I can while I'm here....

Old 03-19-2017, 06:48 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,809,607 times
Would love it. Also, I found it much more easy being a recluse in NYC than in the Midwest community I am currently living in now. Even though in NYC you are surrounded by people, you can keep anonymous and blend into the crowd. Here, everyone is in your business and you are forced to interact with them all the time. So, when I retire, I would either move to NYC if I were rich, or move out into the bush.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:39 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,344,755 times
Although I can comfortably navigate amongst hordes of gregarious people I already AM a recluse, I have always walked alone and I could'nt change even if I wanted/needed to.

I am alone but I am not lonely.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:49 AM

624 posts, read 369,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
In jail, to punish a prisoner they take them out of the general population so they don't have any contact with others. I believe something is wrong if you feel the need to self-impose such a life.
Actually inmates do prefer to be isolated. I couldn't recall when releasing an inmate back to population who were to thrilled.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:40 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,869,471 times
It has been interesting and also very surprising to me to note the large number of posters who prefer to be recluses. It is the common wisdom that we have evolved as a social species dependent on mutual cooperation for our survivial. Medicial epidemiologists claim that social isolation is not conducive to good health and vitality.

Yet we all know that we are not all the same, so it's not difficult for me to believe that some people can thrive quite well and be content as recluses. What surprises me is the large number who have found their way into this particular thread.

Let me be clear on one thing: A recluse who has freely chosen that path is harming no one and I don't see anything wrong with it, even as it remains a path I do not understand personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships