Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 11:07 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Well, there's no way in hell I'm getting married just to keep the red flag from waving over my head. It ain't worth it! And "society", with its "LTR = maturity" mindset, can kiss my tuchus. And if I'm not guaranteed to reach 34, let alone 60, YOLO!

Believe it or not, being "old and alone" scares me a lot less than ending up in a boring relationship, the kind everyone around me are getting into. Also don't forget: there are lots more available women than men once you pass age 60.
LOL - you are so way out of touch with reality I can't begin to list the ways. My brother thought he'd do just what you plan ... then he wound up with diabetes and lost both his legs and actually said "I wish I had married years ago so I would have someone to take care of me now"...to which I assured him that would have been no guarantee of help...lots of spouses bolt at the first signs of illness.

Further, to think at 60 you will magically "find" someone is flawed, but the women you might find at that age will probably be just as naive as you will be about relationships.

Good luck with that.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:14 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'm actually ahead of you there . I did use humor briefly, as well as diversion tactics. After sincere honesty failed, and before resorting to firm statements like "absolutely not". Unfortunately, my humor went over their heads, due to cultural differences or language barrier. Consider this diversion tactic:

Her: (something) my granddaughter (something)
Me: Hey, how about them Cubs?

Her: [confused look] I... don't... know...
Me: It's Chicago baseball. You have a pleasant day, now.

Fortunately, the propositions have all but dried up for the most part. I'm happy with meeting women through Meetup. Yeah, it's strictly as friends, but it's what I want. (I meet men as friends too, but mixed company is more fun.)
ROFL! Now that's funny! (bolded) Total non-sequitur.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
LOL - you are so way out of touch with reality I can't begin to list the ways. My brother thought he'd do just what you plan ... then he wound up with diabetes and lost both his legs and actually said "I wish I had married years ago so I would have someone to take care of me now"...to which I assured him that would have been no guarantee of help...lots of spouses bolt at the first signs of illness.

Further, to think at 60 you will magically "find" someone is flawed, but the women you might find at that age will probably be just as naive as you will be about relationships.

Good luck with that.
I really don't understand these don't put relationships now or your life will suck threats. Since OP is clearly not up for marriage and doesn't feel he can be a decent husband, why would people try to scare him into a LTR? I just don't get it.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:21 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Getting married for the "caretaker insurance" seems just as selfish as staying single for the sake for freedom. At least see it from this angle, if not my regular one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I really don't understand these don't put relationships now or your life will suck threats. Since OP is clearly not up for marriage and doesn't feel he can be a decent husband, why would people try to scare him into a LTR? I just don't get it.
I don't get it either. But this is a real estate site. Since relationshipped people buy the most real estate, there's something to be gained from getting people to settle down.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:28 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Let me restate what the OPs issue is because a lot of people have departed on their own tangents. It is not that the old folks asked him once, it is that the old folks KEPT asking after OP repeatedly declined respectfully. What the hell do you do when people can't take a hint after you've repeatedly declined?!
None of us were there. None of us know exactly what was said, or how the women in question heard his response (given that English is probably a second language for many or all of them). Or the cultural context for interpreting someone's declining an offer of that sort, or the necessity for making an offer repeatedly if it's declined (yes, there are cultures where a no thanks is handled that way).

The OP asked for opinions on whether he was insulted or not. I and others have given their opinions -- and I stand by mine as being on point.

Quote:
Usually when a Chinese host offers a guest refreshments, if the guest declines, the host will ask again twice. Remember this if you entertain at your place. If someone declines they may really want something so you should really ask a couple more times. It makes it look like you are really concerned with their comfort.
Source: http://traditions.cultural-china.com...tions5522.html

Old 04-18-2017, 11:28 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
ROFL! Now that's funny! (bolded) Total non-sequitur.
My favorite is to look down at my watch and then tell them the time, as if I thought that's what they just asked me.

At least it works on vulgar cat-callers.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:32 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
There's almost nothing I agree with the OP on, but this is one of them.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:22 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
This whole thread could have been avoided if the OP was annoyed, versus insulted.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:26 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
This whole thread could have been avoided if the OP was annoyed, versus insulted.
I don't understand the comments about how this is a typical Millennial reaction. But then, I'm not up on the latest anti-Millennial tropes.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:31 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Or if those bugging him would take a hint the first time he said no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships