Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 07:33 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times

Advertisements

I usually pack light and wash clothes at some point. Hotel, mostly. I'm honestly trying to remember ever doing clothes at someone else's house except my bff who just grabs my clothes and throws them in with hers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 07:41 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,388 times
I would never wash my clothes at a friends home where I am a guest.

What is wrong with putting your dirty clothes in a trash bag and washing them when you get home?

Old 04-22-2017, 07:42 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,612 times
I wouldn't want to put someone out so rather than ask if i can use the washer after being accommodated all wknd id just take my dirty stuff home with me. I dont understand why this guest cant just do the same

Old 04-22-2017, 07:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
I think it is strange behavior. I wonder if he learned to do this from his mother?

If he wants to take his vacation time to do laundry at your house, the only thing I would be a bit unhappy about would be his use of my detergent. If you also use softener, then he's probably using that too. One other thing might be tiresome; he is tying up the laundry room and laundry machines with his laundry. But those are the only irritants that I can come up with for this odd behavior.

Most of us have some quirks. This guest has this quirk. I wouldn't do his laundry for him, but I think it is OK to allow him to use your washing machine and dryer.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Yes, the "wash the dirty clothes" vs. "pack the dirty clothes" was quite polarizing on that thread. And, I can see the comments on this thread are the same. Often, people who do it one way can't see the point of view of people who do it the other way.

Frankly, I am sort of in the middle. I don't mind packing up a lot of dirty clothes and bringing them home with me/us. But, I make sure that everyone has at least one clean outfit for the first day home, even if I have to do one load of laundry including underwear & an outfit or two for each of us one of the last days of vacation.

I recall when we went on long vacations with our children we sometimes flew in late at night and everyone needed to be at work or school in clean clothes the next day. One time when our plane was delayed by a snow storm, on our way home after a two week vacation with the hubby's parents, we arrived home about 2 AM or 3 AM and needed to be getting dressed for work or school just a few hours later. I was so glad that I always made sure that everyone had at least one clean outfit, including clean underwear to wear the first day back home. But, washing everything on the last day of vacation? Nope, I want to enjoy all of my vacation, including the last day.

Actually, being delayed by snow storms happened multiple times over the years when we were returning home from winter vacations to the grandparents. So, it was always important to be prepared just in case you did not have time to do the laundry as soon as you walked in the front door of your house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I don't get the people that say they need clean clothes for work or school when they get home. Who in the hell takes ALL of their clothes when they travel? Even if you are going on an around the world 60 day cruise you should have something clean left in the closet and dresser. How many people wear the same type of clothes to work as they wear on vacation anyway?

Put me in the group that has no overnight guests unless we share a bed.
This is what I was going to say. I can't imagine not having at least 1 clean outfit left at home. My work clothes and vacation clothes do not overlap, and I've never packed all of my underwear for a trip. If I haven't scheduled an extra day off after the trip, the laundry will sit until the following weekend, most likely.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:24 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
I usually offer to anyone who stays over if they want to use the washer.

Your visitor's travel is tiring coming to see you and returning home.

Even the long drive home can give a person jet lag, so to speak, so having that laundry done eases the burden for them.

They cared to visit and be with you. It is of a caring and generous virtue to offer something to make their return home one step easier. After a long trip, its even hard to summon up the energy to cook a meal let alone tending to a pile of laundry.

I'm sure it seems odd but its fine to offer and yes, show them where the laundry soap is...they'll be able to do the rest...you might even put a broom in someone's hand and ask if they'll sweep the kitchen. It's okay to do that too.
If only there were people like you, who were running our government.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
People who do not have their own personal washer and dryer get along just fine. They live in apartment buildings and use the communal laundry facilities in the apartment complex.

Others in apartments (or even a house) without a laundry room or without washers/dryers take their clothes to an offsite pay laundromat. And they do laundry sporadically and sometimes infrequently and sometimes with long spaces in-between doing it. They might have tons of underwear, towels, sheets, shirts and other things - never really running out of fresh things for a long time.

The obsession displayed in this thread is bizarre!

And this obsession with doing laundry almost daily or extremely frequently or multiple times per week for many people in the U.S. is so unnecessary, but no one ever seems to challenge it.

(people with babies, kids, etc need not protest, yes, you have special needs, although people who live in apartments with laundry facilities who have babies and kids get along fine)

People in less affluent countries or third world countries or even countries where many people do not have their own washer/dryer or even countries where people do have their own washer/dryer would find it bizarre too.

I agree with the OP that her relative house guest should not be asking to use her washer/dryer - he can do his laundry when he returns home!

When I was young and moved into my own house for the first time, buying a washer and dryer was not an option. I soon discovered that the laundromat, halfway between my place and our university, was also a great place for socializing and meeting highly-qualified young women.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Travel with a suitcase of dirty clothes - how awful - NO! - how completely bizarre to care.

Traveled a whole lifetime - and never did laundry - having a suitcase with some or all dirty clothes is about the smallest inconsequential thing.

talk about excessive nonsense.... and fastidiousness taken to an extreme nonsensical level

And this is one of the most commonly-expressed forms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. I know several people like this, most of them men. One of them goes over every carpet in his house, two or more times a day, with one of those motion-powered little sweepers and not a day goes by, that he doesn't do a load of laundry. He puts on clean underwear three times a day and showers at least twice. Even though he has several dozen pairs of underwear, he can't tolerate there being a single dirty one overnight. Neat-freaks, is their name.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
This is what I was going to say. I can't imagine not having at least 1 clean outfit left at home. My work clothes and vacation clothes do not overlap, and I've never packed all of my underwear for a trip. If I haven't scheduled an extra day off after the trip, the laundry will sit until the following weekend, most likely.
I guess that our kids (and hubby and I) must not have had as many clothes as other people have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I should point out that, in our case, it was mainly making sure that we had clean clothes for the children to wear to school. Perhaps, your children had 14 plus pairs of underpants and tee shirts, plus multiple outfits in their current size to take on vacation as well as extra pairs of underwear at home, in their current size, for after they returned from vacation but our children certainly didn't. Do you realize how fast preschool and elementary children change sizes? And, how fast they can get clothes dirty, especially on vacation?

And, in the days of business casual yes, I often wore the same things on vacation as I wore to work (dressy pants and nice blouses or casual dresses). And, I would take my favorite items on vacation and yes, those were the same favorite items that I would wear to work.

Now, if you only wore three piece suits and white shirts as a man or fancy, dressy suits for a woman to work I could see how you would not need a lot of those on vacation. And, of course, adults don't change sizes of underwear & clothes every few months like a young child typically does so you would likely have clean things at home.

YMMV

Old 04-22-2017, 09:07 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,612 times
Next he might start asking to use your car...or for some cash! Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships