Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:21 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times

Advertisements

I consider it a favor NOT to be invited to the graduation. Seriously, those things are boring and well worth the $25 gift.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 11:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Yeah that's what I was thinking and that ticks me off, lol. It would have been different if our friends had sent the announcement but it was their daughter.
I've never heard of grandparents sending out graduation announcements for their grandchildren, unless of course they were their guardians or something along those lines, so it makes sense that it would come from either the graduate or his parents.

Your friends might have given their daughter a list of people they wanted to send announcements to, and it was just easier and more convenient for her to send them all out. They were probably just excited about their grandchild's graduation and proud of their hard work. They wanted to share the news with their friends as well. I would feel honored that they thought I was such an important person in their life that they would want to share the news of this milestone with me. I don't think its anything to be angry or ticked off about.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:27 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
A card and the $25 is perfect.

After all, the grandparents have hosted you for two family holidays.

I'm sure the thought will be greatly appreciated.
That really should have nothing to do with it. We don't keep score in our friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've never heard of grandparents sending out graduation announcements for their grandchildren, unless of course they were their guardians or something along those lines, so it makes sense that it would come from either the graduate or his parents.

Your friends might have given their daughter a list of people they wanted to send announcements to, and it was just easier and more convenient for her to send them all out. They were probably just excited about their grandchild's graduation and proud of their hard work. They wanted to share the news with their friends as well. I would feel honored that they thought I was such an important person in their life that they would want to share the news of this milestone with me. I don't think its anything to be angry or ticked off about.

That's a rosy way of looking at it. I'm not so sure that was the intent of the daughter though.

Here is a guideline about announcements:
"If your son or daughter is graduating, here’s something to keep in mind. Because so many people believe they “should” send a gift to the graduate when they receive an announcement, it’s gracious to limit sending them only to relatives and those with whom you’re in regular contact. Here are two ways to help decide whether you should send someone an announcement:

• If you send holiday cards and wouldn’t usually send one to this particular person, then you wouldn’t send a graduation announcement."

https://www.mannersmentor.com/social...-for-maybe-not

Old 04-24-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
Trust me, if you sent just a card with nothing in it that gal would be ticked. Younger generations today have high expectations and cards alone are not appreciated. For the sake of your friendship send $25 or nothing at all. We all have been in situations where we gift someone only for the sake of their relatives and not for them.

Yeah but I bet we don't get a thank you card

Old 04-24-2017, 05:51 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I may be out of it, but we never send money for a college graduation. We stop at high school. Perhaps the mother's intention was to keep you updated on the family news.

I understand that it is hard to know what to do sometimes. When our youngest graduated from high school, we had a huge, catered BBQ, with a Blue Grass band. It was a great party. We only invited his school friends, their parents and close relatives. We heard that some of our friends were disappointed that they hadn't been invited. My thinking was, if they didn't really know my son, it would seem like a shake down for money.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah but I bet we don't get a thank you card
Why not just ignore the announcement if it bothers you that much? You haven't even sent a gift, but you are already complaining about thank you cards?!

Old 04-24-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
That's a rosy way of looking at it. I'm not so sure that was the intent of the daughter though.
Or I don't automatically think the worst of everyone. You don't know the daughter's intentions. I just think it says something about your relationship with her parents that she even thought to update you on her family's good news. I doubt she is sending cards off to her family dentist or chiropractor.

Since you don't want to send a gift/card, why not just say something to your friends next time you talk to them? Something like "Oh, I saw your grandson graduated college. You must be so proud... Pass on my congratulations to him."

Old 04-24-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Why not just ignore the announcement if it bothers you that much? You haven't even sent a gift, but you are already complaining about thank you cards?!

Because I'm sure she told her mother that she sent it as she did need our address. And yes I am a stickler for manners.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Or I don't automatically think the worst of everyone. You don't know the daughter's intentions. I just think it says something about your relationship with her parents that she even thought to update you on her family's good news. I doubt she is sending cards off to her family dentist or chiropractor.

Ha...you don't now her. Trust me she did not do it out of the goodness in her heart.

Since you don't want to send a gift/card, why not just say something to your friends next time you talk to them? Something like "Oh, I saw your grandson graduated college. You must be so proud... Pass on my congratulations to him."
Maybe.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:10 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
can't believe you're sending money to this person - you must be made of money - or you have money to burn!

senseless waste of money, pitiful unacceptable ploy for money by the graduate & parents, and you don't even know the graduate or just vaguely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships