Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 05:30 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I totally get the relationship side of it - I'm having a hard time understanding why YOU can't comprehend what I'm saying, but I'll repeat it (probably in vain but here goes):

What I have said over and over again is this - if someone calls me from an airport, or their car on a trip, or whatever - it genuinely never occurs to me to think, "Wow, they're just calling me to kill time or because they're bored, because they're making a long drive or sitting for two hours in the airport or whatever. THEY DON'T REALLY WANT TO TALK TO ME - THEY'RE JUST USING ME TO FILL THEIR TIME!"

Maybe I'm clueless. Or maybe I just have a healthy sense of self worth. Or maybe I just have really great friends and loved ones, I don't know - I just have never gone there in my mind.

I can hear it now - "Look, you're clearly calling me when you have time to spare. I mean, you clearly have nothing better to do in the airport than call and bug me. I'm offended." No - and I've gotten "airport calls." You know what I think when they call me from an airport? I think "Oh goodie, a call from So and So - awwww, they're thinking of me!" and I take the call if it's convenient to me and if I HAVE TIME TO SPARE AS WELL.

And guess what - when it's time to board, it's time to board. When it's time to go into an appointment, it's time to go into an appointment. Why be offended by someone getting off the phone then? Sheeze!

You're right - I don't get it. I don't get the need to read offense into that. I can't imagine being offended because my husband, or my daughter, or my brother, or whoever, says, "Hey, gotta go - they're boarding my flight now!" I'd be like, "Hey, OK - thanks for calling and hope you have a great flight!"

Of course there are doltish people who call from wherever whenever and only talk about themselves, or say insulting things, or (fill in the blank) but that's a whole other kettle of fish - I mean, THEY are the problem, not where they're calling from.

And maybe they are busy, and not filling time so much as multi-tasking. Again, as I asked in my earlier post, go by the relationship in general, and if the answer to the question "Is this person there for me when I need them?" is "Yes" then maybe give them the benefit of the doubt that they are busy and doing the best they can to keep up with their relationships. It IS hard in today's world.

Also, many people when bored feel like talking to someone they like. I'd probably be on with my bf to keep him company if he were at an airport bored. Why not be flattered that when they felt like reaching out to someone for ANY reason, they thought of you? Just saying, there is no real truth, just perception, and you can choose another way of looking at it. You seem to feel that unless someone is willing to sacrifice something to talk to you, they don't care enough about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 06:04 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Just because I call when I'm bored I'm still calling people I like and want to talk to. Same when my friends or family do that to me.

There is never a time where I call people I don't like just to chat.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-27-2017, 06:46 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Just because I call when I'm bored I'm still calling people I like and want to talk to. Same when my friends or family do that to me.

There is never a time where I call people I don't like just to chat.
This is true. "Hey, I'm bored and I started thinking about you and calling you." Why thank you!

Old 04-27-2017, 10:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Here's what I said on page 1 of this thread:

Quote:
Here's what I honestly think about people calling when they're stuck in limbo someplace - be it the airport, waiting somewhere, whatever:

I don't mind if they call me. If I can talk, I'll talk. If I can't, I won't. It's really simple. But they were thinking about me and they called me - OK. I'm OK with that. But then, I don't have any friends or family who call me just to relieve their own boredom - at least I don't think they do. As long as we're having a decent, two sided conversation and it's convenient for both of us, I don't try to psychoanalyze why they called me at that particular time or from a particular place.

THAT'S the important thing to me - the bolded part.
I think that bears repeating.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:16 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Just got reminded of another good reason to text - gives you time to come up with an excuse/explanation/reason for something you really don't want to do - and not hurt the other person's feelers -

Old 04-28-2017, 09:22 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
I think - and this is only me - that the ones that do not see this as an issue are those that like to jabber all day long.

I took a trip with a relative once - 14 hours on the road - she never stopped yapping. And since she is a business owner, also took phone calls all through the trip.

She left the daughters "in charge" but dang - they had to call and ask about every small transaction.

I would try to make a remark and she would start talking louder over me - it was weird.

A sibling was always on the phone. She does text, but loves to yap. It got so bad she had to have throat surgery. Ok - maybe that wasn't the cause - but you never know.

Had several conversations going on the phone at one time - switching back and forth.

I was amazed.

So I guess yappers stay yapping with other yappers and the rest of us will just watch.

Oh and I exercise with a couple of yappers - I've learned to just nod and make the occasional remark. They are nice ladies, but boy can they yap.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:00 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
When I'm driving, my phone goes in my purse and I won't touch it, until I stop or am home. I will not use my phone while driving and Kathy, you know I love ya, but I wish you wouldn't either.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:10 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
My parents are coming to visit this weekend, and my mom's car has bluetooth. They just called me from the car and have no idea how bluetooth works, so it was like talking to Statler and Waldorf.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:53 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
So I guess yappers stay yapping with other yappers and the rest of us will just watch.
Hee. Yeah, I do think that could be part of the disconnect. Usually if I call someone it's because I have something at least sort of substantial to ask or tell them. So it'd be rude to do that while multitasking or whatever. But if you're just calling to yammer, then I guess why not do so at the DMV? Other than that it can be tiresome for the people around you, of course.

Not that there aren't plenty of Alaskan yappers (to use your term) but one thing I notice when I go to the lower 48 is that people seem REALLY uncomfortable with quiet. There's always a radio or a TV or someone just running their mouth to fill the quiet. I'm always relieved to come home where it's socially acceptable to just shut up.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
having a cellphone can encourage rampant yapping, and then you have those who love to talk

Last edited by matisse12; 04-28-2017 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships