Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 04:55 PM

10,251 posts, read 13,768,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
I went shopping on Monday evening. As I was leaving the store there were two women having a conversation in front of the exit. They were speaking in a foreign language and I said excuse me quite clearly to get past them. The first time I said it they didn't move. So I said it a second time a little bit louder and they still didn't move. I then said it a third time and when they didn't move I had to nudged the woman to get by.

As I'm walking away she says "you are rude". I turned around and I said "I asked you to move three times and you didn't move" and I walked away.

I find that I'm dealing with people like this more and more everyday. I encounter this often at the grocery store too - people taking up an entire aisle making small talk. Would you have handled it differently?
I can't stand people like that. I was at a party a few years ago where I made eye contact and said excuse me several times to different people and the inconsiderate asses wouldn't move. Eventually I left the party it was that irritating. You did nothing wrong and instead brought their rudeness to their attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Some cultures don't have the concept of getting out of the way, but the ones I am familiar with will politely move at an excuse me.
What the hell culture doesn't understand getting out of the way?

Old 05-01-2017, 12:06 AM

21,108 posts, read 13,435,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I often don't bother with even saying it if it is a situation where common sense should tell them they are blocking traffic.
It can happen on accident but when that happens with me I apologize.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:34 AM

30,160 posts, read 23,548,828 times
If the people don't move after I say "excuse me", I will clutch my stomach, put my hand near my mouth partially covering it, lean over, start groaning, and stumble towards them as I say, "Ooooh, I think I'm going to throw up!" I might even make a retching sound to round out the scene.

They always move.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If the people don't move after I say "excuse me", I will clutch my stomach, put my hand near my mouth partially covering it, lean over, start groaning, and stumble towards them as I say, "Ooooh, I think I'm going to throw up!" I might even make a retching sound to round out the scene.

They always move.
I should try that.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:50 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,637,169 times
i dont think you were rude. It's funny that even though the two rude people were conversing in a foreign language, they knew how to say that you were rude....

Anyways, my pet peeve is when two cars are packed side by side, blocking a parking isle, while they have a chat with one another.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,897,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Well, I wouldn't have touched them. There is some risk in that and I do think it is rude to try to physically move or touch people you don't know.

However, after 3 excuse me's, I would of raised my voice and said, "move your ass, you are blocking the door."

She would have felt that was rude, too, but you wouldn't be charged with assault.

Some cultures don't have the concept of getting out of the way, but the ones I am familiar with will politely move at an excuse me.
Getting charged with assault for having to "nudge" past someone who is blocking an exit and wouldn't move when asked three times? Unless I misunderstood the OP, I got the impression that she did not intentionally nudge/push the woman as if to be annoying and make a point, but that she kind of had no choice but to brush up against her in order to get by her due to how and where she was standing. "I had to nudged [sic] the women to get by" indicates to me it wasn't by choice.

Anyway, OP you did nothing wrong and the two idiots blocking the door who somehow didn't hear you say "excuse me" three times are just... idiots. Assuming that each time you said it loudly enough for them, to hear, at least. Perhaps you could have called the woman rude in response for not moving when you politely asked three times. That's really all you could have done differently. Shove it right back at her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships