U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 02:23 PM

701 posts, read 792,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
It's pretty terrible that you're the bad guy here and no one cared about breaking your sofa.
I agree! If I were you I would be hurt by the way they are treating you.

Marie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 02:44 PM

15,035 posts, read 18,915,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
I agree! If I were you I would be hurt by the way they are treating you.

Marie
I totally agree, but remember what the OP said in their 2nd sentence of her post.

"Close family members who I care a lot about are obese"

I'm assuming the OP WANTS to spend time with these family members. I also think it's important to note that these folks are going thru the trouble of traveling (not easy for anybody these days) AND paying for two plane tickets.

My suggestion aimed to solve a problem to allow OP to continue her relationship with her family. Sometimes that's more important than money or hurt feelings.

I hope it works out, emoticoo.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:54 PM

21,651 posts, read 14,239,850 times
if this family member is not very mobile, doesn't he or she use a walker with a built in seat?

I don't feel you are deserving of criticism here. You did the best you could.

If you want to accommodate your relative but can't afford to buy what is needed, ask the person to go halves for something he or she could sit on. Someone who is morbidly obese has to have help simply to do daily living. It can't be a surprise that larger, sturdier things are harder to locate and afford. It also can't be surprising that normal furniture will sometimes fail.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:21 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,087,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The spouse sounds very similar to the codependent person in a relationship with an alcoholic or drug addict. Instead of acknowledging that the problem lies with his or her spouse, he or she blames it on the others around. Don't take the unwarranted criticism personally, but understand that this person is just as sick as the one who is eating himself or herself to death.
In cases of extreme, mobility limiting obesity, codependency/enabling are virtually guaranteed to be present.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:24 PM

2,358 posts, read 1,192,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I totally agree, but remember what the OP said in their 2nd sentence of her post.

"Close family members who I care a lot about are obese"

I'm assuming the OP WANTS to spend time with these family members. I also think it's important to note that these folks are going thru the trouble of traveling (not easy for anybody these days) AND paying for two plane tickets.

My suggestion aimed to solve a problem to allow OP to continue her relationship with her family. Sometimes that's more important than money or hurt feelings.

I hope it works out, emoticoo.
Who said anything about plane tickets?

Please don't assume that these individuals are my partners​ relatives who live far away. It's astounding to me that after posting about a totally separate issue some of the responses have been so colored by that information. Totally different family members. Though my family isn't numerous it isn't non-existent.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:58 PM

11,386 posts, read 20,186,364 times
It's just astounding to me that the obese person wouldn't offer to replace/pay for the furniture destroyed and instead chose to berate the homeowner for not accommodating!

Future (assuming the loss of $$ to you for your furniture) - I'm sorry I won't be able to host you at my home due to the expense involved.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:03 PM

827 posts, read 297,367 times
This would be identified as fat logic on reddit.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:51 PM

4,674 posts, read 2,523,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Instead of requiring them to bring their own furniture (which is impractical), I'd suggest you consider purchasing one of those extra wide wheelchairs especially made for the morbidly obese. At my local airport, that's all they use now.

This would allow you to have appropriate, SAFE seating for her in every room of your home, and since it's on wheels you can easily move it from room to room. Some are expensive, but a quick Google produced this one for less than $200 delivered. It's even red - not entirely ugly, institutional looking!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Drive-Med...&wl13=&veh=sem
I think this is an excellent suggestion if the person weights less than 450 lbs.

I am surprised that the person does not already own their own wheelchair so they could use it at home and take with them for visiting others and shopping, etc. If so, it is may be because they weigh more than what a bariatric chair can carry.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 04-29-2017 at 04:59 PM..

Old 04-29-2017, 04:59 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,259,059 times
Whoever broke your furniture is supposed to replace it. And if they were nice they would buy furniture for your house that can accommodate their girth.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:37 PM

40,276 posts, read 39,816,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
This person sat down and the entire sofa collapsed. I felt absolutely terrible. I had really put thought into this and the furniture was not as advertised. I apologized profusely but there is embarrassment and hurt feelings.

The spouse of this individual has chided me for not being considerate about weight and making appropriate "accomodations." I don't know how to respond and what my obligation here is. I have always tried to make everyone comfortable in my home.

What do you think I should do? Am I at fault for not being considerate about this?
I'd say send big poppa a bill for the busted up sofa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships