Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:45 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
For example a guy I went to college with just put up a loooong post about how his finace got into columbia law school. He went on and on about how she got into all 13 schools she applied to but chose columbia. He also went on to say how it reminds of when he got into law school 10 yrs ago and yada yada...i actually loled because it sounded so pretentious. Oh he also put in a line that he is marrying up. I get it that he is giving her a big congrats...but it was a bit much and came off as conceited. Again he could have said a few lines but he wrote paragraphs for 1000 friends to see...
You have the option to just keep scrolling if your not interested in someone's post. I think its nice that they wrote such a long post to congratulate their fiancee. I'm sure she worked very hard to get where she is, and they both probably had to make some sacrifices for her to get there.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:09 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
What is different from back when people would take regular pictures and put them all in a photo album? Then when friends or family came over, they would dig out the photo albums and go through all the pictures while talking about where they went. With social media, it is just that much easier to share your adventures with your family and friends. To the OP, if social media brings you that much negativity, maybe social media just isn't for you.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:37 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
For example a guy I went to college with just put up a loooong post about how his finace got into columbia law school. He went on and on about how she got into all 13 schools she applied to but chose columbia. He also went on to say how it reminds of when he got into law school 10 yrs ago and yada yada...i actually loled because it sounded so pretentious. Oh he also put in a line that he is marrying up. I get it that he is giving her a big congrats...but it was a bit much and came off as conceited. Again he could have said a few lines but he wrote paragraphs for 1000 friends to see...
So he assumed his friends were real friends and would like to hear all about their lives? HOW PRETENTIOUS.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:48 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,579 times
LOL I have a woman who was a client at a barn that employed me to train the 2 yr olds ( horses) and I keep her on my list because the amount of brag pics she posts defies logic and has become hilarious and I swear they have to be into something - IDK- unusual . If you didn't see the pics you would not believe it . It's beyond actor , rock star or Bill Gates level $$$ pouring out of there . In my business you see ALOT of extremely wealthy folks plus I'm on the west coast where it's not that unusual for people to have a chunk of change ...but this truly takes the cake !!

Old 05-02-2017, 11:16 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Maybe you should post this on social media so people can unfriend you and you won't have to bother with LOLing so rudely.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:17 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
So he assumed his friends were real friends and would like to hear all about their lives? HOW PRETENTIOUS.
I think the post you quoted, crossed the line clearly into bragging excessively. I don't need to know how many law schools you got into.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:28 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think the post you quoted, crossed the line clearly into bragging excessively. I don't need to know how many law schools you got into.
Thank goodness you can just scroll past anything you don't care to read.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:47 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
I wont mention any sites in particular but why do so many people feel the need to post pics of their lives, particularly the fabulous parts of their life? I see some people who feel the need to post a pic anytime they go away somewhere nice. Like hello, just wanted you all to know im away having fun somewhere. Then there are the people who want to remind you how in love they are with their spouse or SO and how lucky and blessed they are. Then there are the folks who always put up pics of their kids again mentioning how blessed they are.

Some people are straight up blunt about it...one chick posted a pic last night and wrote, when you look this good, you post a pic.

My DH puts up pics of our kids sometimes but i dont do much with social media. I often cringe at some people's posts becuase it truly does seem so braggy and attention seeking. If youre so in love with your husband why not just tell them? Why rub it in people's face? Did you think people didnt think you loved this person?

It's especially noticeable in people who are quiet in facebook then suddenly start posting more when they're in a relationship. I think ok was your life not worth posting about when you were single?

Im curious what other people's take of these sites are. Why has it become the norm to share details like this on social media? Most people have friends who likely wouldn't be seeing all these aspects of someone's life or hearing about them. It seems fake...
I post lots of pictures when we do things. I do it for myself as a timeline of my life. If you look that is fine, I also do not care if you don't. But I am posting pictures and checking in for my own memory.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:53 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I want to see pictures of the happy things in my friends' lives. I take a great deal of pleasure in it. Their vacations, their kids' achievements, their new houses, their new pets, etc. I'm happy in my own life though for the most part.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Do all of you really not see the difference between normal proud parent posts, and frequent braggy, mushy, annoying ones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships