Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:20 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
another friend who knows us and him think we are not good friends because we would not lend him money
And this person would also no longer be allowed in my home. Do not tell me what to do with my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 10:33 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Only lend money that you can afford to give away.
I suggest sitting down with him and seeing how many car payments he's behind and offering to to arrange a payment with the lender. If you feel so led...

Old 05-03-2017, 10:34 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Or he can turn his car in to the bank and you can help him get a cheap used car.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:40 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
I did once. However I lent it with the expectation it would not be paid pack desite their promises. It wasn't

Old 05-03-2017, 10:45 AM

482 posts, read 944,842 times
Quote:
A friend of my wife and I who I met at work some years ago he always getting let go from jobs, and has a tough time finding work wants to borrow $5000 he is about lose his car and behind on his rent. He has other family he can go to I'm against it because I know he won't be able to pay it back.
If you have it, and can afford not to get it back, do it....that is what friendship is about. If you can't, offer him half and let it go, or just give what you can afford. When I give money, I always assume I won't see it again, and it relieves a huge burden off of the friendship. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:57 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
I would lend money to a friend, yes, but I don't know if I'd lend it to this particular friend.

What's missing from your post is:
-whether he lost his previous jobs because of the bad luck of the bad economy, or his own incompetence
-whether you're close friends
-whether you feel he's made prudent efforts to cut back on expenses, or is trying unrealistically to maintain he past levels

Old 05-03-2017, 02:27 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I would lend money to a friend, yes, but I don't know if I'd lend it to this particular friend.

What's missing from your post is:
-whether he lost his previous jobs because of the bad luck of the bad economy, or his own incompetence
-whether you're close friends
-whether you feel he's made prudent efforts to cut back on expenses, or is trying unrealistically to maintain he past levels
No, the bolded is not missing from the thread. The OP posted that info several times throughout the thread. He also discussed the nature of the friendship, to some extent. And I think he said his friend has trouble keeping jobs. You need to read his posts to get that info.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:38 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,543 times
^^ Agree.
The guy is a friend of OP's wife.
He has trouble keeping jobs, a pattern. (nothing to do with the economy)

Old 05-03-2017, 06:43 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
If you have it, and can afford not to get it back, do it....that is what friendship is about. If you can't, offer him half and let it go, or just give what you can afford. When I give money, I always assume I won't see it again, and it relieves a huge burden off of the friendship. Good luck.
Really?

Hmm. You must have some interesting "friendships".

Actually, friendship is NOT about tossing chunks of money at someone - especially when you barely know the person and they have self-destructive tendencies.

Last edited by applej3; 05-03-2017 at 08:08 PM..

Old 05-04-2017, 08:20 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Wow this got more response than I thought so this friend is someone we do things with he comes over my wife and I like him we are indifferent to his issues at work we told him if I was his manager he would would be let go he caused too much trouble he would yell at other employees. While my wife and I talked about the money after a few minutes we quickly decided to not lend him any money, but another friend who knows us and him think we are not good friends because we would not lend him money. Do we have the money ya we make good living, and we have paid for his dinner and other things I just feel like bailing someone out who is in his late 50's and should no better again is just fueling the problem. I once had a really good friend who was in the same situation he usually didn't get let go. I lent him $2500 and even found him a job at my employer after a year of working I had to ask for the money back he was surprised I was asking at that time in my life $2500 was about 1/2 my savings. I kind of learned my lesson but still I hear all the time if a good friend is in need just give it to them.

I just found out he was able to borrow money from an old employer of all things $5000 and another $1000 last weekend. He actually is a good guy and he has great customer service skills, but he has problems with getting into arguments with other employees, and keeping his desk clean. He had a job a month ago but got let go because he didn't move to another desk argued with the lead person about it.
He is in his late 50's ? I guess I was thinking someone much younger. By the time someone is that old and can not manage their money, it is way to late to help them out. Kind of like watering your grass in a drought, it may help for a few days but it will never solve the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships