Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:30 AM

932 posts, read 898,566 times

Advertisements

basically if your husband is invited your invited.when I invite my friends to my house gatherings they already know by default they can bring their girlfriends or wives without me saying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 08:32 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times
It's deliberate. You always allow that whoever you invite can bring a date. Maybe they have a reason to keep it small..... then don't go. It could be a cost thing or a venue thing. We had a small reception dinner down in the Keys, and it was in a small room. I doubt we could have fit one more person in there. I guess you could ask "why no date" if you want to be clear.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:35 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Where I am from, I never heard of a wedding invitation that wasn't for husband and wife.

Even invitations to single people had added.........."plus guest"

I had never seen/heard of an invitation that was for only one person.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:36 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Very rude.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:36 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Okay, I guess it's time to haul out ol' Emily Post for a whole new generation.

But my own Millennial daughter just got married this past Saturday, and she certainly knew better than to invite only half a married couple...or for that matter, even only half of a "committed" relationship.

OP - Decline the invite and send a book on manners and etiquette as the wedding gift.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:39 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Yes, I agree that it is rude, and it has happened to me twice.

The first time was when I had a falling out with the bride about three months before the wedding, but the groom was still on good terms with my husband. However, in that case, although I think it was something of a slap in the face to me, I honestly didn't care!

The second time was the wedding of my husband's work friend, and the reception/dinner was held at a VERY expensive restaurant, and I just figured that they just didn't want to pay an extra $200 or so for someone they didn't even know (me). (I still thought it would have been better not to invite my husband, either, though.)

Old 05-02-2017, 09:14 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
My brother in law and his fiancé only invited immediate family to his wedding which meant no spouses. They wanted a small wedding. It was hurtful. A ceremony honoring marriage where spouses were not included is an oxymoron. Is my new sister-in-law even considered family, when I am not? It really makes you think.

Marriage is meant to bring people together, not divide them but that's exactly what this wedding did and there are still hurt feelings and fractured relationships to this day.
I tell you what, that would have been a REAL small wedding if anyone had tried that stunt in my family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
my mom was just invited to a co-worker's kid's wedding without my dad.

i thought it was strange at first but i dont know it kind of makes sense if they are trying to cut costs for headcount. and my mom is the person who is friends with the co-worker, not my dad. but i guess family is a different situation.
No it isn't. If you can't afford to invite both spouses, don't invite either.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:22 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I tell you what, that would have been a REAL small wedding if anyone had tried that stunt in my family...
My husband declined his invite. Unfortunately this sibling is the golden child who can do no wrong so instead of the other family members being angry with him for excluding people, they defended his decision and shut down those who dared to question it.

My husband did give them a generous gift. Never got a thank you card.

It forever changed the way I feel about my in-laws. I lost all respect.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:25 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,961 times
Fact is that etiquette and thoughtfulness are gone with things like weddings and showers. It used to be that weddings were a way of celebrating and bringing family and friends together. Today it's just about the bride and groom and what suits them. Used to be that if you had budget concerns you would lower your standards for your big day to include everyone. Now I hear of couples who have lavish destination weddings that exclude most of their loved ones. People used to care about rules of etiquette but no more. Now people throw their own showers and include in their invitations where they are registered. All of these things are tacky to those of us who are of an older generation but it seems the younger crowd doesn't care. It is very rude for the OP to be excluded from the wedding invitation.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:26 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
Fact is that etiquette and thoughtfulness are gone with things like weddings and showers. It used to be that weddings were a way of celebrating and bringing family and friends together. Today it's just about the bride and groom and what suits them. Used to be that if you had budget concerns you would lower your standards for your big day to include everyone. Now I hear of couples who have lavish destination weddings that exclude most of their loved ones. People used to care about rules of etiquette but no more. Now people throw their own showers and include in their invitations where they are registered. All of these things are tacky to those of us who are of an older generation but it seems the younger crowd doesn't care. It is very rude for the OP to be excluded from the wedding invitation.
Yep. The whole, "it's my special day and I can do whatever I want" thing has gone way too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships