Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 06:02 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
To be perfectly honest, I would think that the parents would be coming back very soon and probably not give it a second thought.

I'm from an urban/suburban area in the East Coast.
Same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 08:07 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I'd like to think I'd do this too. But honestly, I might not even notice this.

I live in the PNW, but I am a midwesterner.
Oh, I definitely don't check every car I walk by or anything. But in past 10 yrs or so, I've encountered a small handful of similar situations. Mostly insignificant. By that, I mean a parent/caregiver shows up minutes later and I haven't felt like something was amiss (not some creep coming along, not a drunk caregiver, etc) There was one time I picked my 5 year old up from from a little Y soccer camp and the counselors left a little girl in the parking lot. I don't know what the heck they were thinking, she was probably around 5 as well. I'd picked my kid up in a carpool line, and when I circled around, I saw that she was left there. I couldn't believe it that was what really happened so I parked to observe the situation. Sure enough, she was alone. She was waiting patiently and looked concerned but not scared. I didn't know what to do, and I was fuming. But I had my own little kid that I didn't want to scare, plus a toddler and an infant...So I just sat in the parking lot and watched until she got picked up. About 5 minutes later. I figured at least I was "monitoring". If she'd started crying or wandering off, or if someone tried to pull her into the nearby porta-potties, I could step in.

I'm not going to look for crazy situations, but if I come across something unsettling or someone that might need help that I am capable of providing, I couldn't live with myself if I just ignored it. *I'm sure you'd do the same*

Old 05-05-2017, 02:55 AM

736 posts, read 456,269 times
Faced this situation, called the police after 2 min's.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:43 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Oh, I definitely don't check every car I walk by or anything. But in past 10 yrs or so, I've encountered a small handful of similar situations. Mostly insignificant. By that, I mean a parent/caregiver shows up minutes later and I haven't felt like something was amiss (not some creep coming along, not a drunk caregiver, etc) There was one time I picked my 5 year old up from from a little Y soccer camp and the counselors left a little girl in the parking lot. I don't know what the heck they were thinking, she was probably around 5 as well. I'd picked my kid up in a carpool line, and when I circled around, I saw that she was left there. I couldn't believe it that was what really happened so I parked to observe the situation. Sure enough, she was alone. She was waiting patiently and looked concerned but not scared. I didn't know what to do, and I was fuming. But I had my own little kid that I didn't want to scare, plus a toddler and an infant...So I just sat in the parking lot and watched until she got picked up. About 5 minutes later. I figured at least I was "monitoring". If she'd started crying or wandering off, or if someone tried to pull her into the nearby porta-potties, I could step in.

I'm not going to look for crazy situations, but if I come across something unsettling or someone that might need help that I am capable of providing, I couldn't live with myself if I just ignored it. *I'm sure you'd do the same*
This is a totally different situation. I probably would have sat with the little girl, asked if she knew her parent's phone number, etc. That is pretty surprising the counselors left the little girl alone in the lot and if I were the parent, I'd be mad.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:13 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Imagine you are in the parking lot of a shop that people come in and out pretty quick, usually under 10 minutes (sandwich shop, drug store, gas stations etc). You are heading in and walk past a car (average/decent looking) with an infant, baby or toddler in a car alone, strapped properly in their car seat. The doors are locked. It is 43F out with a slight breeze, no sun.

What would you think?

What would you do?

Where in the world/USA do you hail from?

What size town/city do you live in?

Do you think there is variation in norms about if this is acceptable?
I'd think the parent is foolish, and taking a big chance with their little ones well being.... the thought of child abduction in my mind.

I'd probably sit there untill parents returned, while I imagine what their reaction would be if they returned and baby was gone.

Near a town (small city) with approx 30000 people living in it....in very rural area.

I once sat outside a drugstore for 45 mins while some irresponsible parent shopped inside while her two tiny children sat strapped in their seats.....
It's pathetic that parents would consider their children their greatest asset (at least I think they do), and leave them there unprotected.....would they do the same if it was a suitcase full of their money?

Old 05-05-2017, 07:16 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
This is a totally different situation. I probably would have sat with the little girl, asked if she knew her parent's phone number, etc. That is pretty surprising the counselors left the little girl alone in the lot and if I were the parent, I'd be mad.
I agree it's different. My point was that incident was the most egregious I remember. But my response to it was pretty much the same.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:19 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I wouldn't do anything. The baby isn't in any danger.

I would think that the parent ran in to grab a sandwich or medicine or whatever it was, and probably was even looking out the window and could see the car.

I've lived in cities in the midwest and East Coast. I live in an urban suburb of a large East Coast city.
You mean you THINK and HOPE "the baby isn't in any danger".
Lets HOPE the parent was "even looking out the window and could see the car"....though from the times I've run into this situation that hasn't been the case.
It's a risk with their little ones lives that they take.......scary in my opinion..very foolish.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:03 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
I've been the mother in this situation one time. However, my son had just been diagnosed with chicken pox and was contagious, I was a single mother and he was running a high fever. I didn't have any tylenol or pedialyte at home. I had to run into a store to buy some. He was asleep, because he was feeling so terrible. I got out, locked the doors to my car and ran into the grocery store and asked them if they had a bagger who could keep an eye on my car for the few minutes it would take me to find and pay for those items. So yes, I left him alone in the car.

One other time, I was driving home on a rural road and he started vomiting all over himself. I had no paper towels, so I stopped at the first country store I came across, locked the doors and ran in and bought some paper towels to clean him up enough to get him home comfortably.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, but try to do it in the very safest (for your child) manner you can.

Last edited by goldenlove; 05-05-2017 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 02:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
If memory serves, I did once leave my very sick child who had fallen asleep in the car after a doctor's visit as I ran into drugstore to fill a prescription for him. I hurried. He was probably in the fifth grade then.

Sometimes parents have to make decisions about how to handle difficult situations.

In my case there wasn't the same consciousness about this as there is now.

But honestly I don't ever think to look into others' cars when I get out of my own.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:28 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
Faced this situation, called the police after 2 min's.
What's the point, just pissing off people and creating drama?

It wasn't hot.
The parent may have an eye on the child from store.
The chances are that the parent is back within 10 min. is 90%.
Once you go in the store and come back out and the child is STILL there, why not take actions then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships