U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 04:33 AM

26,313 posts, read 24,404,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I don't see it.
Because I don't look for it and ignore what I don't accept, people are allowed to be wrong.

Heres an example,
a guy moved to northern Maine. He met a local farmer and asked him "what are people like here"
Farmer asked in return, "well what were they like where you came from".
Guy says " I'm from NYC, people are jerks there"
Farmer tells him "well you'll find jerks here too".

We find what we're looking for, and if you spot it, you got it.
Put simpler, the defects we are annoyed at in other people are often the very same defects we possess but aren't honest enough to admit to.

And no-one has attacked me here, I must be doing something wrong.!
Good Point However, I'm not a negative person....and this chatter isn't just coming from me, so many other people are noticing the rise in anger, hate and discontentment. As the first poster Uncle Bully pointed out, it's not one reason, but from many, and he is correct....

My son is also a police officer, and we share stories...there are not only a lot of angry people out there, but a whole lot of nuts.

I don't look for it, but I am connected with a lot of people, and travel a lot, hear people talking about it...

and yes, a lot, not all but a lot of people from NYC are jerks, but a lot are not....I've traveled all over the country and there are areas where people are calmer, more laid back and hospitable....and will reach out if need be, for no other reason than to help...

and your right, you don't see it....b/c a lot of us, have lived in our protective plastic bubble we have created for ourselves called life, and probably never will see it....I'm not looking for it, but it is in fact out there, right along side of some really awesome people. But that isn't what this thread is about....

I'm going to give you another example of how discontented people are who are always looking for the negative, who cannot stand it if people are happy and having fun with a topic so simply as a TV show....they are excited and sharing their feelings and fondness for the show, and someone always comes in and say, Oh I hate the show, it sucks and it is the worst possible show on TV, just to put a damper on the conversation, and make everyone else miserable.....it never ceases to amaze me. LOL

Or you have the people who are just plain bullies, and angry who come in with a disagreement, no matter what you say, with those one line zingers trying to make you feel like the lowest form of compost on earth....it doesn't phaze me any longer, I've grown immune to it, but what it does is prove how totally disgusting they are...to resort to such indignate comments, to try and hijack the thread.

Then you have people who take a personal insult to the topic at hand....

But, there are always people who want to share their experiences, and tell their stories, regardless, of the negative bullies, and they make it all worthwhile...as you yourself have done here.

Thank you

Old 05-03-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Where are you seeing all this? TV?

Things are just more "in your face" due to media. Things are recorded and streamed by everyone. You can edit anything to fit your agenda.

How much of this actually affects you day to day? I see the drama ridden ratings fodder they show on the news, but none of that exists once I turn off the TV, phone, or computer.

I find people to be civil and friendly, more in common than different.

Historically we are much safer than in the past, there is more tolerance and acceptance. I am talking from a historical stand point.
Much safer....Mikala, you need to speak with law enforcement, all over the U.S.

As far as our every day lives....it depends on how much interaction one has with people, every single day, in all kinds of different situations and where you live...

I'm also adding into the spectrum online news feeds, online recipes, FB, other forums, and believe me, I'm not looking for it....

I'm curious by nature, and love discussions...and reading the perspectives of others, even if they've stumbled onto a new recipe, or, perhaps enjoy a certain TV show...that I may be watching....as it's always enlightening to see the show from another person's point of view who might point out something I've missed. And yes, you've always had your debbie downers, and negative people, but I'm seeing it, and reading it more now than ever before.

And maybe I've been too sheltered way too long, but I've traveled across country several times, and have met strangers along they way on my weekends of travel, and people were not nearly as discontented and angry as they are now.

Again, check in with law enforcement....to find out about dangers out there which most people are not even aware of is going on in their own neighborhoods.

Years ago, when being a police officer was just a thought in my son's mind....we had friends that were in law enforcement, and the discussion came up of how bad crime was in our area....and we were told by law enforcement, that over half of the things going on, doesn't even make the news...and that is so true. We were told then, that we had no idea, how much crime was in our county.

I'm sharing thoughts only, through experiences and knowing people who work and then worked in law enforcement....my girlfriends son worked on Homeland Security....people actually don't know what is really going on in their own neighborhoods.

And yes, people are friendly and civil, but that is only one side of the coin....

Old 05-03-2017, 07:00 AM

6,229 posts, read 3,519,393 times
It certainly gives you a different perspective when you are in one of the Human Services, cremebrulee. You have access to a lot more information than the average person. And that's probably a good thing for the average person!

It's pretty difficult to keep a balanced perspective about the nature of mankind and our personal safety when you know that hidden incest is occurring at a high rate in your city, that the city keeps its slate clean by charging out some sexual assaults as Disorderly Conduct or any number of other unpleasant things that aren't general knowledge.

It might be a positive that people feel safe. I suppose you could say that government's job is as much to help people feel as though they are safe as it is to actually make sure that they are safe.

A healthy balance comes in recognizing reality as deeply as one is able and being able to live with as positive an outlook as possible. The more facts you have access to the more difficult that is.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Lodestar It certainly gives you a different perspective when you are in one of the Human Services, cremebrulee. You have access to a lot more information than the average person. And that's probably a good thing for the average person!
I supposed it might be a good thing, however, people don't really know what is going on around them...or, do they want to know....I know people say they don't watch the news, b/c there is way too much negativity...? I honestly don't understand that? Closing off oneself to the real world?

Quote:
It's pretty difficult to keep a balanced perspective about the nature of mankind and our personal safety when you know that hidden incest is occurring at a high rate in your city, that the city keeps its slate clean by charging out some sexual assaults as Disorderly Conduct or any number of other unpleasant things that aren't general knowledge.
Maybe I should post some threads about the good nature of mankind....? By posting this thread and others, I don't have a negative outlook, b/c real life owns both good and bad in everything....

Quote:
It might be a positive that people feel safe. I suppose you could say that government's job is as much to help people feel as though they are safe as it is to actually make sure that they are safe.
I remember my son working in a very crime ridden city once, telling me, that while it was reported that crime went way down, he and his co-workers in law enforcement didn't see it, however, they wanted tourists to come to the area.

Years ago, the mayor of Philly actually hid all the crime that was going on...and yet on the news every single day, for many years now, there have been at least one shooting.

Quote:
A healthy balance comes in recognizing reality as deeply as one is able and being able to live with as positive an outlook as possible.
yes.....

Quote:
The more facts you have access to the more difficult that is.
The facts are reality....life is not always fair, there are always stepping stones and hills to climb, however, knowledge is power....

or at least that is how I view it....your afraid of something until you do your homework, and arm yourself with knowledge and it doesn't see so scary.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:25 AM

650 posts, read 365,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm sorry but disagree, there has been a conspiracy for many years....there have been cures for many years....
A conspiracy to do what? Cover up actual cures for cancer? If so, please state your evidence. And give examples of "cures" that have been covered up. And then please site examples of the science that proves they are indeed "cures."

I'm talking science, mind you. Not innuendo, speculation, anecdotes and internet conspiracy theory. I've argued about this subject on another forum before. Unless I see proof, I just don't buy the whole "the medical industry is covering up cures for cancer so they can profit from the deaths of people" argument.

Do you really think if Merck discovered a "cure" for lung cancer, they would just cover it up? That doesn't make sense. A cure for lung (or liver, or breast, or whatever) cancer would mean BILLIONS of dollars of profit for the company that developed it.

--

Old 05-03-2017, 09:19 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,222,246 times
In the age of the internet, why are you surprised there is a greater lack of civility? People can hid behind their computer screens in complete anonymity and spew out hateful garbage with no repercussion. One way to avoid it is to avoid nasty areas like the political forums. Those places are full of people just aching for a fight. Don't give them the opportunity, just avoid it.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:23 AM

6,256 posts, read 5,925,659 times
Quote:
I am viewing something quite disturbing with the interactions of people on forums.....oh, say within the past four or five years….or so.

I've commented before, about how utterly ugly some people get, and resort to personal attacks, but there is something much deeper.

What I find very disturbing is the lack of common sense....meaning, these posters actually hate someone for their beliefs, and certainly don’t waste any time showing that hate. And they usually register in more than one name….just to appear to have more power. But they all stick together, regardless…and use each other, actually feed off each other....to discredit others who don't agree with them. Complete strangers! And yet, you must be attacking them through your post?

Have you found, no matter what you post, regarding the subject matter, there is always someone who comes in and not only disagrees, which is fine, we all have a right to our opinion, but how quickly people become offended, by a complete stranger...and when someone comes back explaining why they feel the way they feel, then the attacks start, and they attempt to act like they know you...as a personal friend or acquaintance and you must be attacking them by your comments. I mean, they actually take your post personal...?

They act like you are addressing them and only them....and get so thoroughly nasty, they start dishing out personal attacks, all b/c they disagree....

I never saw so much of this going on before as I do now. Before it seemed like total strangers came together and were able to discuss issues, situations, politics, behavior patterns, etc....like adults.....the total lack of respect for themselves

Oh, and then you have those who love to join in the attacks....and lie in waiting like a tiger, stalking its prey....and the moment someone starts an attack, BOOM, the other one comes in, and then another. Their only posts are to condemn, to be negative....b/c they are offended by you?

Then the snide remarks, those mockingly childish idiotic one liners that add nothing to the conversation but insults, and disarray, trying to temp the author to not only defend their comments, but to argue with them, for the sole purpose of getting the thread shut down.

And take note, it’s always the same ones….why my goodness, you must be attacking them personally when you mention something that they don’t agree with?

Oh, and then there are the "mean ugly comments", to use as a diversion….it is obvious, they are taking your posts personal…to the point of ganging up on you and trying to tear you apart.

It is a form of "gang mentality" designed to intimidate, enhance their own views. It feeds their own ego…and their fundamental goal is to feed off of each other, while trying to break down the individual poster...

Have you noticed the rise in crime....people screaming, "Take away the guns" and yet, the guns are not doing the killings, it's always the people behind the guns.

There is also a rise in violence, all over the world...mass murders....etc...What is going on, why so much mental illness, hate?

Yes, forums are not for the weak…you start a thread, about anything, and sooner or later, you’ll have someone come in developing a retaliation, b/c they feel you are talking directly to them, and they have to defend their stance. But instead of discussing the issue like a grown up, they resort to acting like a bully. The saddest part of that is, they have children, and pass on those nasty traits…so will society grow into a violent one?

I’m presently watching Genius, which is the story of Albert Einstein…and the politics behind his timing…it was the time when Hitler was rising to power, and no one ever thought, he’d grow to be so popular followers, but he did…

There are several points within, this story, and this thread, but has anyone closely been watching society, in America, and the decline of it, the decline of knowledge….the decline of basic common sense….and the decline of respect for laws….the ability to look deeper within a subject and ask questions, the ability to allow, and worst of all, the ability to understand the need for laws and way?

All these things fall into behavior patterns, and can either enhance society or tear it down….b/c it is slowly passed down thru generations....and starts to grow.

And our politicians seem to be doing nothing but encouraging it? Don't they.

I mean, take a look at the way Doctors, scientists and the Media, linked together to outlaw smoking, and yet, there are still all kinds of cancers growing with in our younger populations....and growing at an alarming rate. Cancer is now a huge lucrative business....and they can no longer blame it on smoking b/c the scale of cancer is at an all time high. Is anyone asking themselves why?

We have not progressed as a society, but sadly regressed. There are no simple discussions it seems, for as long as people take offense to the beliefs of others, there will always be wars….conflict and the threat of lawlessness, along with a breakdown of behavioral patterns that enhance society.

Then every once in a while someone comes along and posts an awesome post, that delves deeper into the thoughts of yours, and sheds some light on the subject, be it they agree or not….and makes it all worthwhile. To those posters I say, a great big Thank you! Thank you for taking the time to explain and delve into something much deeper adding to the conversation….from their points of view, which gifts a hope for society and for progress. Encourages and not hinders....that to me, is the bigger picture of it all...

I fear, our nation is losing intelligence and the ability to common sense, allowance, and discussion....we're becoming a nation of conflict, why is that do you think?

There isn't just one reason, but many....what are your thoughts....
How do you respond? In real life and on the Internet. Do you digress, or succumb to the trolling that goes on or do you continue to be true to one's self and conduct yourself accordingly?

Old 05-03-2017, 09:44 AM

31,268 posts, read 19,729,636 times
My husband is law enforcement, and retired military

If I need to know anything about crime the department has an interactive database open to the public
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-03-2017, 10:26 AM

4,772 posts, read 6,560,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
Yes it will get worse. There's a book that predicts the world and the way it's going.
Quote:
do you remember the name of the book?
The Bible.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:03 PM

For me, something else that adds to the alarm, are all the mass shootings and murders....all the attacks on police officers, and child kidnapping.

I know for a fact many parents that I've had conversations with, do not feel safe allowing their children outside to play alone anymore.

Kidnapping children was always around, but I don't believe to the magnitude it is now....they are selling children to sex slavery and other slavery in other countries.

Sad how when ever there is money to be made there is always some animal working out how to make more, from criminal behavior. Very sad and frightening for a young parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or