Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 08:41 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
I find people who seek validation to be...well, I wouldn't go so far as to call them 'toxic', but irritating.

And insecure.
I kind of agree.

I can't think of one person that has made a point to compliment me (or validate) my appearance or whatever. I do occasionally tell a coworker that I like something they are wearing, or their new hair style is flattering, but I certainly do not wait around for them to give me back a compliment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 06:23 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I kind of agree.

I can't think of one person that has made a point to compliment me (or validate) my appearance or whatever. I do occasionally tell a coworker that I like something they are wearing, or their new hair style is flattering, but I certainly do not wait around for them to give me back a compliment.
From the OP's example I don't think it is a lack of validation as much as
the friend being negative & oppositional about every little thing.

I don't need compliments, but I wouldn't want a friend that is so negative
and critical.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:40 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
From the OP's example I don't think it is a lack of validation as much as
the friend being negative & oppositional about every little thing.

I don't need compliments, but I wouldn't want a friend that is so negative
and critical.
Right. The OP made an off-hand comment about validation and now people want to harp on that like he's seeking excessive amounts.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I kind of agree.

Yes.

But the OP posted about someone who goes out of her way to make hostile comments, in the name of friendship.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Why? Who cares? This isn't the Jerry Springer Show. The OP is having a serious issue with this person, as others have mentioned this so-called friend is toxic. No reason for Batman to get the Joker out of jail to hear what he has to say about things, he's in jail for a reason and belongs there. The OP needs to disassociate this person out of their life immediately. I have friends I've know for decades and not once have any of them made those kind of comments to me, nor have I do them. This is why we are friends.

I don't know why people like you consider someone else's personality disorder to be valid and people should be up to the challenge of dealing with them. That is not what friendship is about or based on. That's a truly dysfunctional relationship.

Exactly, and as we get older we have less patience for this type of behavior.

You don't have to put up with people treating you badly or waste your time trying to "fix them".

Quote:
br242,
There is no doubt that this person is critical and negative.

The real question is, What will you do with that information ?
I suspect you need to do some work in the area of healthy boundaries.

Someone with strong boundaries would have called the "friend" out on her
responses from the start. That allows people to either shape up or leave.
Letting people know when they are crossing your healthy boundaries
does help others respect you and can actually save a relationship in some cases.

I learned late in life how boundaries work and it would have helped me in my
younger years to stay clear of certain people, but it would have also helped
some of my relationships to have been healthier I think.

If you value this friend, have a heart to heart and tell her in order to stay friends she has to cut out the
negative stuff.
A heart to heart? LOL.

Did you not read what the OP wrote? This isn't one or two incidents, this is all the time. Every thing they do is picked apart. It's not like they went out for an evening and friend said their outfit was ugly, this is all the time. All the time.

This "friend" is someone who gets off on belittling others. It has to do with their own insecurties and most likely has a deep seated resentment towards the person they're directing it on. Usually jealous of them.

You don't have a heart to heart with someone like this, you cut ties with them.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:07 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
[/b]

You don't have a heart to heart with someone like this, you cut ties with them.
No, YOU don't have a heart to heart, I however would have the talk.
Even if the friendship is over at least the other person can get some feedback about their
bad habits.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
No, YOU don't have a heart to heart, I however would have the talk.
Even if the friendship is over at least the other person can get some feedback about their
bad habits.
They don't care about their bad habits. That's who they are, they're toxic. This is on purpose.

They get off on making people feel bad about themselves, by having a talk with them, you're showing that you find their constant put downs upsetting, they will be gleeful. They're not going to say "I'm sorry, I wasn't aware I was doing this". They know exactly what they're doing.

It would be different if it was a one or two time thing, but this is constant.

It's on purpose, you might as well tell your couch that it needs to change colors, the results will be the same, it ain't gonna happen.

You cut ties for your own sanity and self preservation.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:47 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
They don't care about their bad habits. That's who they are, they're toxic. This is on purpose.

They get off on making people feel bad about themselves, by having a talk with them, you're showing that you find their constant put downs upsetting, they will be gleeful. They're not going to say "I'm sorry, I wasn't aware I was doing this". They know exactly what they're doing.

You cut ties for your own sanity and self preservation.
They'll say "you're so sensitive" or similar, immediately pushing back any responsibility from themselves.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
They'll say "you're so sensitive" or similar, immediately pushing back any responsibility from themselves.
Exactly, one poster mentioned earlier the term "gaslighting", they will also do this. Tell you that what actually occurred and what was said never happened when you bring it up. Even though that is exactly what happened.

You can't win with them, and will go insane trying to reason with them. Only solution is limited contact or no contact.

In the OP's case, it's very easy...no contact.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:56 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
Maybe she wants to sleep with you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships