Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 11:22 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,718,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
well I was assuming that people would be intelligent enough to know that I legally parked in those spots. I should have specified.
Yes, you should have. This entire thread is about how common it is for people to be inconsiderate. It'd be reasonable to assume that you're just another.

Good thing for you that you have handicap plates to protect your car from door dings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 11:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,971,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Oooh! Maybe this doesn't apply to this thread, but the rudest thing happened to me the other night. It was late...1am, maybe?, and I went into Wal-Mart to grab some laundry detergent. There was only one check-out line open because the store was pretty much dead. As I was walking to the check-out, this young couple that had an OVERFLOWING cart of groceries started power-walking and basically cut me off to get in the line ahead of me! Again, I had ONE item -- a bag of Gain Flings!

Now, I'm usually the type who will ask the person behind me if they want to step in front of me in line in that type of situation. They did the opposite and literally cut me off!

Luckily, a cashier who had been standing there saw what happened, opened up another lane, checked me out and then closed her lane. She didn't say anything, but she looked at them, rolled her eyes and shook her head. We were on the same page.

Beyond rude!

I had someone try to do that to me a few months ago. I got to the line first (by casually walking, holding my one item) and she was walking so fast to try to cut me off that she ended up ramming into me with her cart. Instead of apologizing, she loudly made a rude comment about how I shouldn't have gotten in her way. After I checked out, I was waiting for my SO, I think he was returning something, and as she passed me on her way out the door she gave me a sarcastic "thanks again for getting in my way." I didn't respond, I don't even know how I would respond to such a crazy person who was still upset over not being able to cut in front of me.

Oh! And as I was leaving the store she almost ran into me with her SUV as she blew through the stop sign at the crosswalk. I don't know if it was intentional, or she's just a bad driver.... How crazy would you have to be to try to run over a person for something so petty?

Old 05-10-2017, 11:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,971,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Last week I went to a grocery store and as I got in my van to leave the car next to me, after loading their groceries, pushed the cart behind my van to get it out of their way. I got out of my van and said, "Hey! Can you put the cart where it belongs?" The guy got really offended at the way I "came at him" and accused me of racism. He was yelling and causing a scene. He did move the cart but I'm still dumbstruck at the flippant attitude.

One of the things he said during his rant at me was "Whatta ya gonna do, sue me?" I'm left with the idea that he's a down-and-outer who has nothing to lose and is at odds with society.

Scary.

I'm always baffled by some of the weird things people say. A few years ago, I was at a happy hour event, where they also had a small appetizer buffet set up. I had gone over to get something to snack on with my drink, when I noticed the person in front of me was using her hands to put the food on her plate. I politely said something about the serving spoons that were sitting next to each dish. I wasn't trying to be rude, I just thought maybe she didn't see them. She turned around and asked if I was saying that because I was "jealous" of her. I tried to explain myself (while wondering what exactly I was supposed to be jealous of), but she started yelling and cursing at me. She then walked away and came back a few seconds later with three other women, pointing at me and telling them I was the one talking trash to her. They all just gave me dirty looks and walked away... I'm not sure if she was thinking they were all going to come over and yell at me some more, attack me up or what... It was a bizarre situation.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:49 AM

32,565 posts, read 47,740,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
That's when a smart person checks into applying for a handicap parking permit. My mother has one because she had mobility issues and can't walk far.
I am going to politely point out that just because a person has a handicapped tag, that does not mean that a handicapped space will be available.

Also, locally, the handicapped spaces are not any wider. There might be two spaces with wheel chair access to the right of the space. So the only "wider" spot for the driver is the space where the wheel chair access is to the left, on the driver's side of the car. Those are rare, and that space and the wheelchair access space are usual taken by someone who bounds out of their car with enthusiasm and strides off to do their shopping or else comes out with heavy items and is loading them without assistance. I literally have never ever seen anyone with a wheel chair park in the wheelchair designated parking spot.

Yea, maybe they have an invisible handicap because those do exist, or maybe they don't want to walk any further to the store, or maybe they are protecting their car from dings. At any rate, locally at least, is is extremely rare to be able to get one of the designated handicapped spots.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:05 AM

884 posts, read 1,169,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The other day at the grocery store I was the last one in line when the cashier closed her line so she could go on break. As she was ringing up my stuff, a guy put his stuff down behind mine. The cashier politely told the man that her lane was closed, so he'll have to check out with someone else. In a very monotone voice the guy responded by saying "I'm so embarrassed, I didnt even notice," and then just stood there. We both just looked at the guy for a good 10 seconds waiting for him to move, but he didn't. The cashier told him again that her lane was closed, but the guy just continued to stand there. She ended up ringing him up, because he wouldn't move to a different line.

And no there wasn't a language barrier, he knew what was he was doing. It just came off as so rude, as if his time was more important then anyone else's time. All the other lines had at least 3-4 people in them, so I'm sure he was just wanted to check out faster while everyone else patiently waited their turn.
Ugh I hated that when I was a cashier. And something else people like that don't think about (or probably, care about either) is that if enough people do that you throw off everyone else's break too. If I am supposed to go on break at 12:00, someone else is probably supposed to go when I get back...so if enough entitled people ignore that the light is off (or the lane closed sign is on the belt, or however you signal your lane is closed) you're late going on your break, the next person is late, then the next person..depending on how busy it is and how many people you can have gone from their lanes at the same time.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:02 PM

35,522 posts, read 17,818,962 times
Today I just realized I'm a major offender of "thinking the rules don't apply to me". If the sign on the dressing room says 5 items, I take however many items I want to try on in at the same time. Guilty. ;D

But, in my defense, I put the items I don't want back in the correct places, neatly hung up.

If there isn't a dressing room attendant, is there anyone who follows those guidelines?

Old 05-12-2017, 08:27 AM

776 posts, read 952,059 times
The sign about "how many items can be taken in to the change room " is a security method.

If some body goes in with 5 and comes out with three items, the over head camera observer, is going to call the loss prevention staff to check the person for concealed items. Some times they are being worn or in a concealed " booster bag " And before any body gets their panties in a knot, the cameras DO NOT have a view into the change rooms. They cover the area directly in front of the entrance to those rooms.

Shop lifters have their own websites, where they exchange methods to steal, at various chain stores, like Wal Mart. Target and Penny's. The latest security methods, are usually listed in the thief network in a few weeks, with ways to defeat them. These are not high school girls lifting a lipstick. These are professional thieves who make their living by stealing from stores. Any thing that can be stolen and re sold is liable to be lifted. Much of the stolen goods end up at flea markets or corner stores.

xxx.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:15 AM

35,522 posts, read 17,818,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
The sign about "how many items can be taken in to the change room " is a security method.

If some body goes in with 5 and comes out with three items, the over head camera observer, is going to call the loss prevention staff to check the person for concealed items. Some times they are being worn or in a concealed " booster bag " And before any body gets their panties in a knot, the cameras DO NOT have a view into the change rooms. They cover the area directly in front of the entrance to those rooms.

Shop lifters have their own websites, where they exchange methods to steal, at various chain stores, like Wal Mart. Target and Penny's. The latest security methods, are usually listed in the thief network in a few weeks, with ways to defeat them. These are not high school girls lifting a lipstick. These are professional thieves who make their living by stealing from stores. Any thing that can be stolen and re sold is liable to be lifted. Much of the stolen goods end up at flea markets or corner stores.

xxx.
That's probably true in some cases - I'm talking about consignment shopping where that kind of sophistication isn't there. I remember the rule about dressing room items way back before security cameras - it was to keep dressing rooms from being occupied by one person for an extreme amount of time, and to keep more inventory on the floor and not in the dressing rooms where it can't be chosen by a customer.

But really interesting about the cameras. I would think in nearly all cases when a person leaves the dressing room with apparently fewer items than they took in, they've left unchosen items in the dressing room and are only carrying out the ones they intend to buy. Isn't that probably the case in almost all of these situations?

Thanks for the info - interesting.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:20 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,733,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Yes, especially those who grew up with lots of money and never had to do anything they didn't want to. They get a tremendous ego and treat people badly. They very often go to tanning salons and come out looking orange too, and with tiny hands, and very strange hair combed oddly to cover up a bald spot. And also don't wear a wedding ring either, although their so-called model wife does.

It took 4 pages but there it is. Trump Derangement Syndrome right there for all to see.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:57 PM

776 posts, read 952,059 times
Clara C.

My explanation was about the major stores, not the mum and pop stores.

The loss prevention staff wear an ear piece that allows them to hear radio messages from the security room where the TV monitors are being watched. The monitor operators will send them to check a situation that is suspicious. The change rooms are an area that is under constant surveillance , by the cameras and the LP staff. Loss prevention staff are chosen for their ability to "look just like anybody else ". They can be any one, and that is the idea.

A gang of lifters can steal a thousand dollars of goods , with out breaking a sweat. A gang is usually 4 women driving a van, so the stolen goods are easy to hide under blankets in the back. The hot items are things that are small but bring a good price as re seller items. Examples are stereo headphones, multi packs of high end razors, designer perfumes, and anything with a designer name on it.

The hot items frequently have electronic security tags attached to them, but lifters know how to cut them off, so the alarms at the exit won't go off. Another trick is to put the lifted items in a shopping bag that is lined with a number of sheets of heavy duty aluminium foil, to block the RDF signal from the security tags.

xxx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships