U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 08:13 AM

12,048 posts, read 16,789,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You would think he would have had decent life insurance that would have easily paid for this funeral. That's a circumstance in which I would not give.

To me, an appropriate need for funeral expenses would be a newborn baby who dies, or a young child that didn't have life insurance (like the Gerber plans)
You don't necessarily know people's circumstances. There's more than meets the eye.

Not everyone can get life insurance. I will likely never qualify for my own policy outside of work thanks to a cancer diagnosis young. Thankfully, the first thing I did when I started my job was bought the better policy above standard which would leave me twice my annual salary. 4 months later I got my cancer diagnosis and I wouldn't have been able to even get *that* policy. That's fine for just me - my only debt is my car and if medical bills don't eat the rest of it, there would be enough for a small funeral, making arrangements for my pets, and hopefully leaving something to my niece.

But if I had student loans, a mortgage, a family, or any other debt it definitely wouldn't be enough. I'm looking to leave my job in the next year and I will be at the mercy of whatever life insurance benefits my employer offers.

As I learned from my own cancer battle, even with good insurance you can easily have a huge chunk of your savings completely wiped out or go into tens of thousands of dollars of debt.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:33 AM

13,574 posts, read 21,732,062 times
Thread is closed due to amount of off topic posts
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or