U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:32 PM

1,195 posts, read 800,223 times

Advertisements

I would be very careful about donating to go fund me accts. A young mother died unexpectedly and someone started a go fund me acct. To pay for her funeral and to this day the family has never received the donated funds to pay for her funeral. It is better to send it to the funeral home for the cost. Even if a honest person started a go fund me. They keep a portion of the money.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:48 PM

9,593 posts, read 5,798,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I would be very careful about donating to go fund me accts. A young mother died unexpectedly and someone started a go fund me acct. To pay for her funeral and to this day the family has never received the donated funds to pay for her funeral. It is better to send it to the funeral home for the cost. Even if a honest person started a go fund me. They keep a portion of the money.

I agree about being careful and making sure the account is legitimate and the person who set it up is someone that is trustworthy. There have been numerous scams. I don't agree that even an honest person would keep some of the funds. I would not dream of keeping anything if I set up a fund for a friend or family member.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:23 PM

17,000 posts, read 20,668,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
And if people are willing to donate to help other with big life events, what's it to you? If I don't believe in it, (I'll never donate for marriage or family, since I don't believe in either) I'll just keep my mouth shut and not donate.
The OP asked the question not me.

I answered, that OK with you?

Old 05-11-2017, 01:26 PM

17,000 posts, read 20,668,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
Believe me, that is more common then you think.
Thank you.

It's very common. People used to save up for something called a "rainy day fund", it could be anything from car repairs to loss of a job.

Now you have people who cry the blues but have absolutely no control over what they buy. They don't need the $5 Starbucks every morning, or the latest Iphone.

If a child is injured or killed of course you help if you can, but now people want help paying for a wedding, ridiculous. Have the wedding you can afford.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:45 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,820,103 times
A lot of people I know set up Go Fund Me, but I can't donate to all of them.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:59 PM

3,750 posts, read 9,600,559 times
Her trail name was Unicorn.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:13 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,424,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I keep getting invites from people who have GoFundMe pages set up.

One is getting married and needs money for the wedding.

Another is getting expensive in vitro treatments.

Another is trying to get money for an overseas adoption (and already has several kids adopted from overseas that the church raised money for.)

Is this a new trend? Is GoFundMe now the way that people finance expensive life events?
Yep and people are stupid enough to donate to it. I would certainly be rethinking my friendship with anybody who sends me that kind of crap.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:35 PM

6,536 posts, read 2,358,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I need some major home repairs and was tempted to start a "go fund me" awhile back. I didn't though because I did not know how it would be perceived, but I still need those repairs. (leaking roof, broken asbestos tiles falling off house, etc)

Personally, I don't begrudge anyone for setting up a gofundme. My guess is, people who know you and love you will be happy to help out a little to make life a bit easier for you. Others who don't know you will probably pass you by.

As an aside, the chick who wanted to refurnish her expensive apartment...like I said, I just rolled my eyes, but lots of people had very critical comments about it. Which was funny (to me) because you can't comment unless you donate. So here were all these folks criticizing this woman for asking for money...but they're donating money to her. LOL

I'll bet she cried all the way to the bank. Mean ol internet. LOL

Old 05-11-2017, 03:40 PM

127 posts, read 54,468 times
I see at least 1 new request on Facebook every day. One head scratcher involved a principal at a local high school that passed away fairly suddenly from cancer. Horrible circumstance and I feel for the family on an emotional level, but a GoFundMe was established to pay for funeral expenses. This if for a man that made $100k+ salary and I'm sure had life insurance through the school system. Most basic employer policies are at least 1x's base salary if not more that's provided at no cost. And you can buy up at many more multiples for minimal cost. And that's assuming he had no coverage outside of his employer.

It's just weird that people's first response is "Oh no, that's terrible. Let's give them money!" How did people pay funeral homes before GoFundMe?

Old 05-11-2017, 03:58 PM

10,076 posts, read 6,312,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I keep getting invites from people who have GoFundMe pages set up.

One is getting married and needs money for the wedding.

Another is getting expensive in vitro treatments.

Another is trying to get money for an overseas adoption (and already has several kids adopted from overseas that the church raised money for.)

Is this a new trend? Is GoFundMe now the way that people finance expensive life events?
Yes, it's a new trend, an extremely tacky one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or