Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 07:37 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times

Advertisements

In the inimitable words of Mammy in "Gone With The Wind":

"Askin' ain't gettin' . . . . "

They can ask all they want. Doesn't mean I have to give.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:44 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
In the inimitable words of Mammy in "Gone With The Wind":

"Askin' ain't gettin' . . . . "

They can ask all they want. Doesn't mean I have to give.
Hah! I love this comment. I wholeheartedly agree.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:49 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Years ago, before GFM was started, a set of parents at my son's school were hitting other parents up for college money for their daughter. FAIL
Haven't they ever heard of 529 plans?

Old 05-11-2017, 08:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I also get tired of being asked to fund other peoples' teenaged, or college-aged kids mission trips to other countries. I have huge issues with these kinds of mission trips anyway and feel it's largely a misuse of funds, the main focus seems to be a free vacation somewhere and "life experience" for the young person. I'm offended when people ask me for money for this.

If I wanted to get married and couldn't afford any kind of wedding, I'd go to the justice of the peace.
While my children did not go on any mission trips they did go on several educational trips or attended out of town workshops. We earned the money the "old fashioned way". Our HS age students got part time jobs and did odd jobs for neighbors to earn extra money, hubby worked overtime and I got a part time job (in addition to my full time job). We paid in full before they went on any those trips.

Also, I agree, if you want a "dream wedding" save up and pay for it yourself.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:33 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
While my children did not go on any mission trips they did go on several educational trips or attended out of town workshops. We earned the money the "old fashioned way". Our HS age students got part time jobs and did odd jobs for neighbors to earn extra money, hubby worked overtime and I got a part time job (in addition to my full time job). We paid in full before they went on any those trips..
Sure, that's why I don't understand why these people can't do the same: work to raise the money. Some of these college kids have never held down a job in their life, not even mowing lawns. I don't get it. I worked in high school and college, in the summer time. Maybe I should just hand them some job applications next time. These kids are being raised to look at everyone else like they are walking wallets. They aren't learning to work for their money. One college kid in my family has been on several mission trips and an overseas study program already, he's 22 and never worked a day in his life and always looking for money to fund his next adventure. And getting upset when it doesn't come in fast enough through his various fund-raising efforts (church, family, friends, etc).

Old 05-11-2017, 11:04 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I keep getting invites from people who have GoFundMe pages set up.

One is getting married and needs money for the wedding.

Another is getting expensive in vitro treatments.

Another is trying to get money for an overseas adoption (and already has several kids adopted from overseas that the church raised money for.)

Is this a new trend? Is GoFundMe now the way that people finance expensive life events?
Yes this certainly is a new trend. In the "old days" this was unheard of.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:24 PM

783 posts, read 576,623 times
To use an old Irish saying, I wouldn't donate the steam off my...well, you know the rest.

But here's a GoFundMe that I think we can all agree is a worthy cause. NO FEAR MILLIONAIRE FINANCIAL & MENTAL WEALTH BUILDING PROGRAMS!!!

ROFL! Seriously, if you read that page, you will die laughing.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:49 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I also get tired of being asked to fund other peoples' teenaged, or college-aged kids mission trips to other countries. I have huge issues with these kinds of mission trips anyway and feel it's largely a misuse of funds, the main focus seems to be a free vacation somewhere and "life experience" for the young person. I'm offended when people ask me for money for this.

If I wanted to get married and couldn't afford any kind of wedding, I'd go to the justice of the peace.
That one is my biggest pet peeve. If you want to go on vacation, just say it. NO ONE needs to go on a "mission" to another country. There's plenty to do here in here in our own backyards. Last on I saw was an entire family looking to go to another country for a MONTH. Um no. That's a four-week vacation.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:17 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
If it's chemotherapy and they're out of insurance money, tell me where to send the check.

It it's your honeymoon or some such, are you kidding me? Whoa that's classless.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:34 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
I dont see an issue at all with people setting up crowdfunding account for whatever they want no matter how frivolous. I dont have to donate. I only have an issue if people hound me about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships